View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

The Ten Commandments - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: The Ten Commandments   The Ten Commandments - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 2:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

[size=55:2f981ge9]BNR

The Ten Commandments

We live in amazingly dynamic times. Everybody seems in a dreadful hurry to meet tight schedules and there is this floating anxiety of missing one of thousands of luring opportunities. Big companies race to offer the latest generation of cell phones, or a portable computer in the vogue. TV commercials after the news will let you know about the latest model of the most smashing car with countless extras. The worldwide web comes up with great bargains for trips to a dozen most exotic destinations. Is it possible to resist the temptations? All the more so that present-day icons – Hollywood actors and musicians – maintain lifestyles bathing in glamour and glory.

In the meantime, while watching the news we tend to be little impressed by reports that innocent people died somewhere on the planet. As Easter approaches we ought to take a deeper and closer look at ourselves and think about intransigent values such as love, compassion and friendship. To what extent is the message laid out in the Ten Commandments relevant today? To what extent do Bulgarians follow them? More from father Vasil Vasilev from the Three Saints Church in the town of Shumen, North eastern Bulgaria, and in interviews with residents of the city of Sofia.

“Our century is a time of high technologies”, the young priest says. “We live dynamic lives and amid the sea of information, problems and various emotions, man is lost for the right direction – he loses his identity as he wrestles with daily hardships and in the battle for survival. What are the moral values and foundations today? Unfortunately, for a man to prosper he should become a hypocrite, swindler, villain or whatnot revealing the dark aspects of his personality. The Ten Commandments were given by God Jehovah to prophet Moses and they will remain relevant for human beings till the end of this world. The commandments are religious and moral imperatives;
they draw up a comprehensive credo that man has been called to carry out so as to become part of a better society. They have been incorporated in the Holy Bible. In the New Testament Jesus Christ unites all Ten Commandments into two. He says: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind”, and also, ‘Love your neighbour as yourself’. This is the quintessence of the Decalogue – there is love for God in it – God as Creator of everything visible and invisible, and whom we should respect and fear. Secondly, we should love our fellows. This explains why there are no inferior commandments, and we cannot say that any of them is more relevant or less relevant. They are all equally important and equally necessary.”

Do Bulgarians know the Ten Commandments, and to what extent do they tend to abide by them?

“Unfortunately, religious instruction is not taught in Bulgarian schools, so Bulgarians do not know their faith well, and the Ten Commandments are not the moral basis of present-day families”, Father Vasil admits. “For this reason our society is not fully democratic. We can see lawlessness everywhere and impunity, meaning our society is not democratic;
it is rather demonocratic – run by demons ruling human emotions and vices. Let us hope that the voice of our church will be heard so that the young people can know their faith better – by being taught Orthodox Christianity in Bulgarian schools. It is Faith that saves humans;
the Faith from the Holy Gospel;
given by Jesus Christ. Young people are eager to learn but they are confused;
very intelligent, very bright but unfortunately soulless.”

“You shall not murder”, “You shall not lie”, “You shall not steal”, “You shall not commit adultery” are the most popular of the Commandments among Bulgarians. Alexandra, 22, says however, that these spiritual values have to a great extent lost their power and importance. “Of course, I try – and maybe I succeed in being good with my family and friends and with the people who deserve good”, she added. More from some residents of Sofia.

“I think they are eternal. It is a different matter that times have changed – and people too, so it has become quite a challenge to abide by the Ten Commandments that are in fact the moral code of every human being”, Mariana Angelova, who is retired, said. “Well, there are many people who practice forgiveness, love and compassion. The Ten Commandments tell us: ‘You shall not kill’, ‘You shall not steal’, ‘You shall not covet’. What I try to observe is good will and good intentions. I am not one of those who can forgive easily though it is now the period of the Great Lent.”

“I think that Bulgarians are not very faithful Christians”, Mrs. Djorova says. “Yes, some go to church to light candles. I am always ready to help others. I do not like stealing or lying. However I cannot claim I am a believer, because faith is something I cannot understand. Still, I think I behave with dignity as I communicate with people.”

Tanya Bencheva who studies to become a social worker believes that people who try hard to live pure and noble lives in fact honour the Ten Commandments.

“It is very important not to lie. I think it is also important to love your fellow as you love yourself. The commandment ‘You shall have no other Gods before me’ means that we should be Christians. I have heard some say that faith in God is a good excuse for the weakness of an individual but this is wrong. I think superstition is an excuse for the lack of faith. If you believe that something bad could happen to you, you do not have faith in God, in that He does protect you.”

“The so-called Decalogue, or the Ten Commandments, is valid today. Still very few people make efforts to stick to this code”, explains Georgi who is retired. “Neither of the Ten Commandments is of smaller value, because the whole Christian moral code is laid out in their totality. Whoever chooses to observe it, he is a moral person. These are fundamental values that should be observed by every human being.”
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com

AuthorMessage
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Re: The Ten Commandments   The Ten Commandments - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:50 pm

mechta wrote:

i need all the life skills i can get haha

I like your honesty for a young lady its commendable The Ten Commandments - Page 4 739492727
Back to top Go down
mechta
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The Ten Commandments   The Ten Commandments - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:55 pm

BGTRAVELLER wrote:
[quote:3bbek1if="mechtai need all the life skills i can get haha[/quote]

Quote :
I like your honesty for a young lady its commendable The Ten Commandments - Page 4 739492727

well thank you The Ten Commandments - Page 4 1536469901
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ten Commandments   The Ten Commandments - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ten Commandments

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Life in Bulgaria-