Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual   Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 3:17 pm

[size=55:2tmfmuyl]novinite

Boyko Borisov, Bulgaria's Prime Minister has opposed the ancient ritual of dog spinning, which was recently renewed in a south-eastern village, declared it barbarian and called for sanctions.

In dog spinning, which is practised in a south-eastern Bulgarian village at the beginning of March, a dog is suspended above water on a rope. The dog is turned repeatedly in a given direction to wind the rope, then released so that it spins rapidly in the opposite direction as the rope unwinds, until it falls into the water. This ancient ritual of pagan origin is performed in order to prevent rabies and is a part of the traditional Kukeri rituals

The Prime Minister has discussed the issue with Chief Prosecutor Boris Velchev and both have agreed that the new animal protection law should include sanctions for animal torture.

According to the draft law on animal cruelty incrimination, which was accepted by the Parliament on first reading in February, those who injure an animal on purpose will face probation and a fine of BGN 3000.

The mayor of Brodilovo, the south-eastern Bulgarian village that has renewed the ancient ritual, however, has stated there is nothing wrong with it. Even though he personally prohibited the tradition in 2005, when the Brodilovo citizens faced sanctions, Mayor Petko Arnaudov has explained nothing wrong is supposed to happen to dogs 'participating' in it.

Dog spinning – or trichane, as locals call it - is now practised only in Brodilovo. In 2005, the foreign media found out about the tradition and the world was outraged by its cruelty. Bulgarian animal welfare organizations also stood firmly against it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual   Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 12:24 am

Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual 3135333095

Gosh there are so many things that I fine shocking in Bulgaria and here is yet another one! I am so glad this idiotic ritual has stopped. Well done to so many organisations and the PM who apposed it.

Oddy g
Back to top Go down
pixi
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual   Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:11 am

I agree Oddball, shocking glad this has now stopped.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual   Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 2:08 pm

oddball wrote:
Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual 3135333095

Gosh there are so many things that I fine shocking in Bulgaria and here is yet another one! I am so glad this idiotic ritual has stopped. Well done to so many organisations and the PM who apposed it.

Oddy g

For those that participate "
little things please little minds"
I suppose!! What will they get up to next we wonder??

Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual 3998065313
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual   Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 7:53 pm

itchyfeet wrote:
What will they get up to next we wonder??

Boyko Borisov spinning?? Now that would be entertaining. s s s
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual   Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Very sad this is but at least its stopped and I don't think anything like this will ever occur again in Bulgaria in the future. Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual 3023850720
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual   Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 9:18 pm

pleased to hear this, i have difficulty understanding how people can treat animals in such a way. Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual 927475117
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual   Bulgarian PM Condemns Barbaric 'Dog Spinning' Ritual Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1