altText
altText

Our recent trip to Bulgaria.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sharona58

Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Empty
PostSubject: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 2:46 pm

I thought it was time to let you all know our thoughts on Bulgaria after visiting the country on the 2nd November for a week.

To be perfectly honest with you, I had already made up my mind that we would be relocating to BG, before we ever saw the place. It is our saviour, our new big adventure. We have to get out of Turkey and don't want to return to the UK, so Bulgaria it is then.

Before we left I told my hubby not to compare it with Turkey as I knew it would be so different and to have vision and good imagination when viewing houses.

So off we go on the coach from Didim to Istanbul, Istanbul to Erdine and the final part of our journey was with Phil from Paws Kennels, who picked us up at the bus station and brought us over the border to their kennels and our home for the next week. As we were travelling along through a dense fog, everything looked so bleak and miserable, we are not used to pea soupers here in Akbuk, so it was a stark contrast to the place we had left behind 17 hours earlier. This was our first reminder of how different the countries were going to be. We stayed in their guest apartment and were made very welcome. After a good home cooked meal provided by Sue, Phil’s wife, we hit the hay as we were shattered from the journey.

We were up bright and early and were greeted by lots of sunshine and Karen, whose Donkeywhisperer blog had inspired me seek out Bulgaria in the first place. Who would have thought that 3 weeks after reading it, we would be stood in a Bulgarian village, looking forward to spending a day with her. We were going to look at a few properties and different villages. One of the houses, we had requested and it was all we had hoped for and a little more, it was located in the pretty village of Razdel. Eric wanted it there and then but I felt it was way too small for permanent living and it was too high up a hill for the snowy periods. We then went on to view a couple that were part renovated and one that needed total renovation. I was much more enthusiastic than my Husband was, all he could see was endless work and at 65 years of age, felt that he had a damn good chance of kicking the bucket before they were even finished.lol. We all went in to Elhovo for a bite to eat and a cuppa before being driven back to village. Eric seemed a little deflated and could not see the potential in the houses that we had seen, except for the Razdel house.

At 5pm we decided to go and have a beer in the village bar, big mistake. We came out around 10pm, closing time, and were a tad tipsy. Boy those BG measures are unbelievable, yes we could have said no, but it would have been rude not to partake in a little Bulgarian hospitality. Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 1995268642 When we did finally leave, feeling sloshed and also a little deaf, (my word, don't the Bulgarians shout, I have never met a nosier nation , they are very passionate when they speak and even louder than the Greeks :lol:) , nothing could have prepared us for the darkness that met us out on the street. We could not see anything and you would have been hard pushed to put a pin between the stars in that inky black sky, it was a wonderful sight. Using a lighter as our only means of illumination we started stumbling down through the village, when Dora the bar owner stopped and picked us up. Thankfully I had remembered the Bulgarian word for Dog that Sue had taught me that same day and managed to get across to her that we wanted to go to the "
Kuche Otel"
, she knew right away where we were heading and delivered us there safe and sound. Phew!!!

The next day was Bonfire night, my birthday. We were taken into town by Sue and we had a good look around and then in the evening. went to the village of Dobrich for a meal at Shirley’s that is run by Anna and Alan, pals from Turkey. I was very surprised to see that the place had been decorated for me and a lovely big cake made by Anna. So with that and my present and Flowers from Sue, between them, they made my birthday very special. That night, we stayed in Dobrich, with Maureen, another acquaintance from Turkey. She has been there a few months and had bought a lovely little house that had needed full renovation, it was fantastic and at last, something had put a smile on Eric's face. This is what had been needed, he had needed to see a house that was once a wreck and within around 6 months had been transformed into a beautiful home complete with fab kitchen, full central heating, internal staircase and a massive luxury bathroom. At last he could now see the wonderful potential in old village properties and a future for us in Bulgaria. He has gone from not wanting to touch a house in need of full renovation with a barge pole, to now gagging to get his mitts on one. He is a joiner by trade and will be able to do most of the work himself.

The next day, Saturday was Dobrich Village day and the official opening of Anna and Alan’s place. I had promised to help out, and boy did they need it, the place was mobbed out from 12 noon to 3am in the morning. It was a fabulous day and they gave the young village folk a night to remember. Well done and lots of luck to them both in their new exciting venture.

We got a hire car for the next few days and had a good drive around and went to do some shopping at Kaufland, I was so excited going up and down the Isles looking at all the things that we have been deprived of for the last 3 years, it was magic. g

So after our time there, my thoughts are .
People... friendly, warm and welcoming.
Scenery... Stunning,
Cost of living...cheap as chips, for now.

Would we go and live there????? Too bloody right, see you next April.

Thanks for reading

Sharon and Eric.
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Brilliant and so refreshing to hear something positive which is what Bulgaria is and really does have a lot to offer those who are prepared to search for it instead of waiting for it to know on your door well done to both you and Eric for your efforts to have a good look round and I do understand how Eric must have felt when looking at some of the poorer looking houses that haven't been modded good luck to both of you and maybe one day we will meet up who knows Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 3356871870
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:08 pm

It's as good as anywhere, better than most g

Look forward to more of the same.
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Sounds like you had a good trip and indulged a little too Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 1995268642 and why not its all part of the Bulgarian way of life to have a drink or 10 Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 1865348797 so its looks like you all set to go and I can only wish you the very best and enjoy your life in Bulgaria Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 3386807041
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Very interesting post Sharon - we are doing the same thing next March and leaving Turkey by the same route, we have to relocate the dogs for a week, but really looking forward to seeing BG for the first time.
Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 3386807041 Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 1995268642
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:32 pm

So pleased to read your report. You will enjoy Bulgaria. We came from Greece when we couldn't afford to live there when I retired and have not regretted a moment. I do think it makes a difference when you have already made the break from Britain and can appreciate what is on offer here and not moan about what is not. Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 3356871870 T
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Glad you enjoyed your visit,itsa loverly place if you dont expect too much,life is what you make it,and the Bulgarians are loverly people
Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 2581928987 Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 2581928987 Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 2581928987
Back to top Go down
sharona58

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 5:11 pm

oldun wrote:
So pleased to read your report. You will enjoy Bulgaria. We came from Greece when we couldn't afford to live there when I retired and have not regretted a moment. I do think it makes a difference when you have already made the break from Britain and can appreciate what is on offer here and not moan about what is not. Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 3356871870 T

I think you have a good point about it making a difference when you have been living abroad already for a number of years. We won't be in holiday mode as we have done all that in our first few months in Turkey. We have also found our own ways of coping with missing the family and friends that we left behind. A lady I met also commented about the Turkey expats settling in well and just getting on with life.

I think we will be very happy over there. Can't wait.
Back to top Go down
starbells

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm

A good friend of mine has recently moved to Bulgaria and also said the same that intergration into the community was relatively easy and most people are very welcoming and have helped her out in whatever way they can. Such a refreshing thing to here nowadays especially as I am now planning on moving to Bulgaria late next year. Got a few work-ties at the moment but I shall be leaving the UK as soon as I can!
Back to top Go down
abracadabra
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks for such a positive post Sharon!

Karen
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 am

Congratulations you are in Bulgaria the start of a new adventure.
Hope your journey went well yesterday. I bet it felt good waking up this morning.
H
We wish you all the best Sharon and Eric enjoy. Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 1430720830
Best Wishes Annette and Eric
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 6:19 pm

itchyfeet wrote:
Congratulations you are in Bulgaria the start of a new adventure.
Hope your journey went well yesterday. I bet it felt good waking up this morning.
H
We wish you all the best Sharon and Eric enjoy. Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 1430720830
Best Wishes Annette and Eric

Hum!!! you know something we don't Itchy Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 2345823347 Do tell c
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 8:30 pm

hi Oddy,
Sharon and Eric moved yesterday, they are in the small village Dobrich near Elhovo renting first.
Everyone will enjoy Sharon's lovely cakes she bakes.
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Good luck in your new home. Hope your adventure is everything you hope for. Our recent trip to Bulgaria. 1430720830
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:51 am

Congratulations on your move - It is so nice to hear of positive impressions and experiences in Bulgaria.

s
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our recent trip to Bulgaria.   Our recent trip to Bulgaria. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our recent trip to Bulgaria.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next