altText
altText
altText

Snow on the way

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Snow on the way Empty
PostSubject: Snow on the way   Snow on the way Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi all,

Just heard the news, Serbia has snow and it is on it's way here, maybe next week. Possibly as soon as Thursday this week. Time to batten down the hatches, winter is coming.

Time to make sure everything is ready and working. We will be lighting our petchka for the first time tomorow as temps here are dropping fast. In our village much rain and getting cold, so will be an early winter, so it would seem.

Aneta is keeping an eye on the weather for me, so will pass on here any info that just might be wanted.

Wanted to point out to those who don't know, you should brush your chimneys now, the metal ones from the petchkas to the wall where it goes in the wall. Get all that tar out that is in them from last winter.

We clean our metal chimney and chimney radiators every month, just to get rid of the build up of tar. Most of the wood here in Bg is like pitch pine. you can tell if it is by looking at the cut end, if the center is brown, it is tar on the inside.

Best wishes all
Back to top Go down
wilola
Anonymous

Snow on the way Empty
PostSubject: Snow on the way   Snow on the way Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 7:08 pm

HI thanks for that snow warning in Serbia I hope it clears as we will be going that way in less than 2 weeks,

the tar build up I was told last year if you make a roaring fire twice a week it will burn it off and keep theirfore keep it to a minium, we didn't do this in our kitchen petuchlar and had tar running out of the pipes, uuuhhh but we did in the lounge and it worked, so will be doing this again in both fires this year,!!

lets hope its not to bad,

regards wilola [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Snow on the way Empty
PostSubject: Snow on the way   Snow on the way Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 pm

hi Wilola,

Yes, you can burn it off, but you can also give your self a chimney fire as well and cause your walls to get too hot. This could cause any timber struts in the walls or ceilings to catch fire. That is how many BG homes burn down in the winter.

The best way and quickest is to brush the metal out, takes 20 mins approx and it is done. But we all have our own ways to deal with things here.

Your welcome for the snow warning, just trying to do my bit to help everyone as and when I can. I learnt the hard way here, on my own with no help or advice, I learnt by the mistakes I made

Well acording to BG's we get 1 winter bad and the next is mild, so last was bad, lets hope this one is like the year before and hot in February.

I for one don't want it too cold, have much work to do out side and it is very hard when it is so cold here.

Best wishes,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snow on the way Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow on the way   Snow on the way Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow on the way

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1