How much Snow did you get?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

How much Snow did you get? Empty
PostSubject: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:00 am

Woke up this morning at 7am to to my daily chores before breakfast, made a coffee for my self and looked out of the kitchen window and snow was halfway up the window pane!I have four indoor cats and a large pride of cats that live outside who I feed every day twice a day on chicken necks and pate sandwiches plus a horse. I put my free florecent three quarter Winter jacket on(complements of Suffolk Constabulary) a beanie plus gloves and my rubber boots on.Tried the kitchen door and couldn't open it to go out side to feed the cats and the horse.Went up stairs to the front door where there are stairs that lead to the ground which were covered in Snow."
Alfie"
a Ginger tom and "
Tel Tel"
were the only cats there and up to their necks in snow.I managed to hand feed them a chicken neck each as they are very tame as no way could I throw the chicken neck to them as it would dissappear in the snow and they wouldn't find it.
I heard the cry of a kitten which I knew as it was one of three which were born in an empty property opposite me who I also feed when they make their way to the Summer house opposite my kitchen.It sounded distressed and I thought it was buried in the snow some where as the snow was about a eighteen inches deep, much higher than the height of a kitten.Then I thought I would look in the Summer house and there was "
Joe Joe"
as cute as they come with his coat of many colours shouting at me for food and I gave him or I think it's a "
him"
a chicken neck which started to eat growling as he did.I am a bit worried as the other two kittens I havn't seen for two days or their mother who normally shuttles chicken necks back and forth to them.
When you sit around doing nothing much during the Winter and exercise consists of going out to the horse to groom and feed it on a daily basis it's hardly a work out.I picked up the snow shovel and started to clear a path to the stable which is some 30 meters away from the house so I could feed and water the horse.By the time I reached the half way point which would be my car port I was coughing and gagging and out of breath.OK I am no youngster and well into my sixties but the last time I felt that way was in my forties after a hard ten mile run!When I was a training instructor in Canada as a soldier the Winter was time off as it was gurenteed that we would have minus 20 and snow up to our our arm pits.It was nothing for me to clear my pathway and drive plus the next door neighbors who was fairly elderly and never even drew breath hardly.Now twenty shovel fulls of snow and I am on my knees!We are lucky in our village because as soon as it snows the snow plow is out and about early to clear the snow on the roads around the village.It has a down side though with a snow plough coming round, my entrance to the drive way is now blocked by four feet of snow in height anf three feet wide which the snow plow pushed into my drive way! So I will have to clear that today because if you leave it to long it gets compact and becomes heavy to shift.
Glad I went to Dobrich on Friday and did the shopping with my wife because I wouldn't fancy going there today in four wheel drive for thitry five kilometers there and thirty five kilometers back again!

So how much snow have you had?
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:11 am

We haven't done too badly, about ten inches. It has just started again and looks pretty steady. We got dog food and veg in on Friday and have a couple of sacks of flour so Ok for bread, so are fine for a good while if we don't want to go out. We have our own eggs and milk comes from a neighbour. The plough has been round, even the side streets, early.

The birds are flocking to the feeders, but apart from great tits and tree sparrows are a bit camera shy. The chickens are complaining and fed up already.

We have wood and all we have to do is block the 'ventilation' from badly fitting doors and windows if it gets too cold.

And hibernate!

Sara

PS, Dave is already climbing the walls... How much Snow did you get? 1865348797
Back to top Go down
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 am

Day 3 of snowfall here and we're probably around a foot deep so no great shakes yet (although the car I saw spin out of control this morning in the village square might think differently).

I'm stocked up and have enough work to do on my house to keep me active (read warm). My kitties are all under the duvet, two of the strays I feed have been brought inside temporarily, a big bowl of kibble has gone outside for any others and I'm just rounding up nuts and whatnot to put out for the birds.

Don't mind a few more days of this if it has to be, but I can see myself tiring of it quickly if this is it for the next 6 weeks.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 3:13 pm

.....So does this mean that winter has finally arrived in Bulgaria? Weather the last few days here in Malta has gone from really sunny and warm to cool and cloudy with some very cold winds but no snow!
I actually liked the cold Bulgarian winter snuggling up in our cosy home with the woodburner and feeling secure. My Hero often out clearing paths and feeding animals of course. Even if we had a 4x4 I don't think its wise to drive out although our village bus always got through and the village shop always stocked up. Dog loved the snow so really, no worries! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 4:11 pm

We are currently in 10 inches deep in snow and more is expected over the next few days. Much time is spent chopping wood and bringing it into the house at the moment, but much more wood than needed because if the snow is up to the windows tomorrow, you won't see me out in it getting any more in, because we will have enough already.

As some of you have said about their snows ploughs being round and doing their roads, we also have a shelf of two foot or more of snow thrown up by the plough. This has to be moved before any chance of getting the car out of the drive and onto the road is made. A visit to the bar was necessary this morning and I donned my boots and half chaps to keep my legs dry from snow, my shoes also had my snow grips attached, so not a pretty sight walking down the road. Nevertheless a greeting from all BG's was given whilst passing them as I continued towards the bar, once in the bar a curious look was given at my leg and footwear, chaps have not been seen in my village I assumed, but welcomed there as usual.

Back at home our Anatolean Shepherd dog was set free into the field followed by me with the GSD on a lead, the GSD thinks that being free in the field means that he can make an excursion out of the field and off around the village as he thinks fit, so until the fencing is all fixed he stays on the lead. We have now added a Karakachan puppy to the other four dogs and she is getting on well. She was discovered by an English couple in Shumen in a disused barn along with her two brothers and five sisters. They were not together as puppies normally are, but scattered in different places in the barn and only three days old, it was obvious they had been abandoned as three of them were nearly frozen and no sign of the mother. It is not uncommon to find puppies with no mum over here, why, we don't know! The Briitish husband and wife who found them managed to save them all and five have been homed.

At the grand age of three weeks she came into our keeping and we were feeding her every three hours, initially we had no idea of the breed of the mother and father, but after much thought and asking BG's we believe she is a Karakachan. They are the Bulgarian Sheepdog of course and she will grow to 30 inches high and weigh in at 40 and a bit kilo's. Of course this in addition to our other two heavy weights, Louie currently weighs in at 40 kilo's and so does Sofie. We hope that Chloe has a long and active life like our others who run around the field and often out of the field and suit themselves when they come home.
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 10:46 am

Very very cold and about 40 cm of snow and I'm told its going to get better for a short time and then there is more to come. s
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 7:59 pm

They say the weather from eastern europe got to here in Germany during last night, here in Nuremburg we got about 4 inch that wasnt there at 2am but was there by about 4am and snow had stopped and been cleared from the roads by 6am

I hope the rest of it doesnt get here too soon
Back to top Go down
http://www.my-bulgarian-house-renovation.com
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 4:35 am

Another couple of inches during the night here.
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 8:42 am

Cleared the driveway yesterday and the patoo roof.Woke up this morning I might as well not bothered as we have had a couple more inches and it's still snowing.Needed bread so I walked to the local shop dressed in my very warm high vis coat which took me 10 minutes and walked into the shop and went blind as my glasses misted up to a fog.What amazes me is the Bulgarians are out and about in their Ford Kia's and such like which are hardly built for snowy roads however the snow plough was trundling up and down the main road trying to keep up with the snow fall.I shall have to break out my Mitsibushi truck on Saturday just to get some bottled water from the local shop as the water here tastes foul and I don't fancy carrying a huge bottle of water home on foot in the snow.
We can last for about another ten days before I will have to plough my way to Dobrich so lets hop it will have stopped by then and thge roads are clear.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 9:14 am

I cleared the snow over over the 40 metres from the house to the gate yesterday and like Speedgunner shoudln't have bothered. Another four inches of snow overnight, the dogs are romping about in it, but for me it can go as quick as it likes. We have stocked up with food and can last for another week easily without going to the shops, thank goodness.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 am

Like our Bulgarian neighbours, I find it easier to move a couple of inches of snow on a daily basis rather than leave it until it is compacted to ice and over a foot deep and you end up doing your back in.

Mr Eq
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm not in Burgas at the mo but looking at the webcam it's nearly all melted, it doesn't usually last so long there!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 1:49 pm

No chance of it melting here. We have had fine snow falling all day, Dave has just done a second clear of three inches, fallen since about 9am.

Sara
Back to top Go down
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 8:32 am

I was hoping that the lovely sunshine this morning would start melting things s ... but then I noticed it was minus 17 degrees How much Snow did you get? 3135333095 so maybe not.

I shall be shovelling and salting the road outside my house today I think. No snow ploughs here.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 8:38 am

Take heart, our two foot long icicles are dripping! Mind you, that means there will be solid ice underneath them. But it is nice to see the sun no matter how cold.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much Snow did you get?   How much Snow did you get? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much Snow did you get?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next