altText
altText
altText

Cucumbers just so many

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nan2pop

Cucumbers just so many Empty
PostSubject: Cucumbers just so many   Cucumbers just so many Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 9:23 am

Hi all I have a wonderful neighbour who is always giving me cucumbers and today tomatoes and cucumbers, the problem I have is the toms go but there are just so many cucumber's and I don't know how to store them. I have just made gazpacho which is wonderful but not everyday, I eat a lot of salad but I cant eat this amount. Can anyone help will they freeze?
I freeze them toms when they get to much so I have toms on toast which is nothing like the English toms these have a wonderful flavour even after freezing any advice happily received. T
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Cucumbers just so many   Cucumbers just so many Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 11:00 am

Make some Tarator and give it to all your Bulgarian neighbours, they love the stuff!

Recipe here if you need it:
[url:37136s8a]http:
//www.
questbg.
com/en/lifestyle/food-a-drink/184-taratorrecipe[/url:37136s8a]
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Cucumbers just so many   Cucumbers just so many Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 11:07 am

PS. not that I would ever freeze cucumber personally, but if you think you have to, then the only way you can do it (without them turning to mush) is to make pickles, which can be frozen and reused later.

Ingredients:

14 cups of diced cucumbers
2 cups diced white onions
3 cups diced green/red peppers (the larger Bulgarian ones)
2 cups vinegar
2 tbsps salt
4 cups of caster sugar

Instructions:
Mix the vinegar, salt and sugar until the sugar is totally dissolved.

Meanwhile, mix the cucumbers, onions and peppers in a bowl.

Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumber, onion and pepper mixture and stir.

Set aside for about 20 minutes.

Put in freezer boxes and freeze immediately.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Darrell
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Cucumbers just so many   Cucumbers just so many Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 12:49 pm

Here is a jam recipe.
I tried it last year as I was given so many of them.I wasn't very keen on it, though Darrell liked it and used to eat it with cheese and salami.

4lb cucumber
4lb sugar
to each pint of juice and pulp, add 1/2oz root ginger and rind, pith and juice of 2 lemons

Peel and slice the cucumber, place it in a pan with the rind, pith and ginger [ in a muslin bag] and cook gently to produce a medium pulp, then add the sugar and the lemon juice,boil and pot.

My Bulgarian friend,grates her spare cucumbers and then freezes them so she can make tarrator in the Winter.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Cucumbers just so many   Cucumbers just so many Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Pickle them. Just put in jars cover with Bulgarian Apple vinegar add some pepper seeds. Job jobbed.
Back to top Go down
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: Re: Cucumbers just so many   Cucumbers just so many Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:43 pm

They can also be used in Curry so I'm told
Back to top Go down
Timerman
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Cucumbers just so many   Cucumbers just so many Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 6:48 pm

I had the same problem with too many cucumbers Cucumbers just so many 927475117

I hate seeing things go to waste so my solution was to take the skin off them all, cut and dice them, blend them into a puree add salt to taste and then boil the puree to evaporate some of the water out of them, because its cooked you can now freeze the puree for use in soups etc over the winter. This time last month I would never of dreamed about pureeing cucumbers, but having done it today I was surprised at how nice they actually taste after being in the blender, and if it had'nt been for it being so hot today I think I would of just added more stuff to make a soup lol .

I've also pureed surplus tomatoes and butternut squash for use over the winter, one more tip for surplus Peppers is de-seed them and cut into strips, lay the strips on a baking tray and pop in the freezer for approx 1 hr, take them out and put into a freezer bag and place back in the freezer for use over the winter.

Putting them on a baking tray stops them all freezing together in a bunch Cucumbers just so many 3367882216
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cucumbers just so many   Cucumbers just so many Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cucumbers just so many

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1