HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

What have you contributed to Bulgaria????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:24 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

What have us as Brits contributed to the villages or towns we live in.

And I don't mean money!!!

I would like to think that as guests in this fantastic country we give something back or add to the culture and the people.

Maybe you teach them how to cook English food? Or teach their children in someway? Or have you introduced new farming techniques that makes life easier and yields more crops?

so come on lets hear what you have given back
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 5:55 pm

i let my neighbours use our land and out building and they collect all the wall nuts from my tree to sell. I also give them lots to laugh about and they like to see what im going to do next. (im extremely acident prone) I take modern horse equipment over for them to use and exchange our chart cds with the local kids for their chalga ones. i think i probably feed nearly every dog in the village too, which they may or may not like. mostly i think i recieve way more than i could ever give but if i can help anyone in any way i will. to me thats what village life is all about. s
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 9:59 am

Not many replies to this topic I notice. It will be interesting to see if Beautifulangel will get more answers. From my 7 years experience, 90% of Brits contribute absolutely nothing to their villages. It disappoints me that we seem to be the only British people in our area who unreservedly give as much as we can to our village. Between us we have brought our village into the Bulgarian public eye by doing any media interviews when asked whether or not we wish to. We help our neighbours with all sorts of little jobs but, of course, they always have to repay us with some small gift and I sing in the folk choir which is appreciated even though I feel totally out of place. Its not for me to say why Brits should integrate more, except to express the opinion that life in Bulgaria is much more pleasant if you give as well as receiving. This applies to life in general but seems to be largely forgotten in this 'me' society. What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 794030042 What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 3135333095 What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 927475117
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 10:19 am

oldun wrote:
Not many replies to this topic I notice. It will be interesting to see if Beautifulangel will get more answers. From my 7 years experience, 90% of Brits contribute absolutely nothing to their villages. It disappoints me that we seem to be the only British people in our area who unreservedly give as much as we can to our village. Between us we have brought our village into the Bulgarian public eye by doing any media interviews when asked whether or not we wish to. We help our neighbours with all sorts of little jobs but, of course, they always have to repay us with some small gift and I sing in the folk choir which is appreciated even though I feel totally out of place. Its not for me to say why Brits should integrate more, except to express the opinion that life in Bulgaria is much more pleasant if you give as well as receiving. This applies to life in general but seems to be largely forgotten in this 'me' society. What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 794030042 What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 3135333095 What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 927475117
I completely agree. It costs nothing but time to help others and one of the best things about bulgaria is that everyone seems to have plenty of it. The kind and helpful nature of the bulgarian's that I have met was what made me really fall in love with their country. As a country girl I love village life, the gossip, the family feeling of everyone doing there little bit. Im sure theres lots of people who haven't commented that do join in where they live. But if you haven't yet I would strongly recommend it. Villages need communty or they die no matter what country your in. s H
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Finally got around to writing on this topic!!!!

We do no end for our village. I feel like I am bragging, this is not the case, I could easily start another topic of "
What has your village done for you"
!!

The catholic church in our village has been in the process of being renovated for about 2 years now. My husband has helped out no end - mainly plumbing, and transporting materials. Lending tools, cement mixers, done some welding for them etc. etc. etc. We are told by the Baba's that his work has not gone unnoticed by the man above!!

The kindergarten, in the next village, where my son goes, was in danger of closing as they only had outside toilets, the kids had to go down some steep stairs, (that got icy in winter) to get to them - we decided to help.... Straldja would not a the time - but once word got back to the "
powers that be"
a contribution was made by the municipality towards the cost. We also got builders merchants to give us a bigger discount on the materials needed for this. Just last week they were given a water heater for the wash hand basin - my husband will be plumbing that in for them tomorrow. We also give the kindergarten small donations of money to buy toys, pens and books. I did some little chocolate Easter egg baskets for my son to take for the kids, probably the only chocolate the Roma kids get at Easter. Do them little Xmas parties. And my son teaches them English through play. We give them sand for their sand pit. Most people who come to visit us from the UK bring a few kids clothes for us to pass on to them.

My husband is forever rotivating or strimming someones garden - helps may of the locals with maintennance jobs, collecting materials from Yambol for them - they do pay for this but before there was no-one to help them get these bulky items cheaply. We lend tools, in fact we seem to be the village builders merchant - if anyone needs a bag of cement or two. We collect food from cheaper sources (that they would have no transport to get to) for the villagers to feed their animals.

All the babas come round to look at my garden - I often give them a couple of plants that I have grown from seed. I am forever picking things up from Kaufland for people (much cheaper than the village shop)

A good friend of mine (from Ireland) was here - he went to pay his electric bill at the post office one day. One of the Babas was painstakingly counting out 24 Leva in 20st. and 50st. coins, to pay her electric bill - he just paid it for her!! She was shocked to say the least, and after lots of complaining (which my friend did not understand anyway) she accepted it.

We use a couple of the younger lads when we have some work for them - one has managed to put in an inside bathroom in his own house now. I sometimes lend money to some so they can get what they want/need and pay me back in installments - no-one has ever let me down yet.

Just giving someone a lift to Yambol and back saves them 10 Leva in bus fares - it costs me no extra in my car if I am going anyway.

I am sure that over the years we will do much more as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 2:15 pm

What can anybody say about Esta's posting, God's gift is what I can think of
Well done and :Thank you 3:You are an Angel
Keep up the good work What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 3367882216
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 6:05 pm

I second that Willowsend.
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
therowfamily

PostSubject: Re: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Not to sure if this counts but here goes. I have given 80% of my garden to my neighbour who grows his food in it I have also given him the right to take as many grapes as he wants from out 5 vines, in addition to this I have helped them build an indoor toilet which they didn't have, my wife has showed them how to cook some foods the English way and we have them over for dinner 2 times a month.
Back to top Go down
joseph
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:40 pm

I take it you speak Bulgarian,I know a lot of people, including myself that would love to be able to speak to their next door neighbour but can't What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 927475117
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What have you contributed to Bulgaria????   What have you contributed to Bulgaria???? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What have you contributed to Bulgaria????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2