altText

Bulgaria is for me !!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

Bulgaria is for me !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:54 am

While I appreciate some of the comments on this forum which I have to say are mostly negative and having lived in Bulgaria I do understand most of what's being said here, but I know from personal experience that its not all doom and gloom, Bulgaria has a lot more to offer those who are considering the move yes I know there are so many problems that will need to be dealt with but this will happen in time, it hasn't always been civilised for the want of a better word in the uk and I believe that Bulgaria will one day be a great destination for all of those who are seeking a better life, for me I loved the Bulgarians maybe I was luck and lived in a village where they were all so kind and generous sand helpful and to be honest would never take anything from me even if I offered it? They would always be happy to give but very slow to receive, before I left the uk I was a member of another well known forum where I looked for advice and one of the things I was told was to alarm my car to the eyeball? Which I did at a cost of £400 well what a waste of money that turned out to be yes I had people look at it but never once did anyone over there try to steal it, then I was told to get a good alarm system on my house by the REA who sold it to me again a total waste of money but for the REA there would have been some commission? I found that my best alarm system was the people who lived around me who were more than happy to keep an eye on my house while I was away, I even left them with the keys and told them they can come and go as they please, I also made the mistake of leaving my keys with some English before this and I later found out that they were letting my house and making money from it this was people I thought I could trust? English? So that's it for me I have no problems in trusting Bulgarians I'm not saying that there aren't a few vagabonds as there is everywhere but on the whole I would rather trust a Bulgarian sorry if any English find this offensive but that's how I see it from my own experience which as far as Bulgaria is concerned is positive. Viva Bulgaria!! :Wav: :Wav: :Wav: :Wav: :Wav: :Wav: :Wav: :Wav: :Thumb: :Thumb:
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:45 am

I too have come across such posts on other sites about alarms for your homes and cars, and it's one of the things on my list to remember as I am taking my car when I make the move I'm glad you posted this netsniper you have made things much clearer for us newbs and perhaps given us a lot more hope of us to fulfil our dreams I know its not going to be a bed of roses but its good to hear of your experiences once again I am now on a high and looking forward with anticipation thank you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 7:39 pm

Nice to another member who loves Bulgaria I there is to many people to will and to quick to pull Bulgaria down but we all know that all countries have their own set of problems but we don't moan about all of them I'm glad to see what you have written netsniper and I too am looking forward to getting there one day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
anglachanka
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 11:54 am

I love it here too and although fully aware of all the problems there can be, feel able to deal with them as and when they arise.

Terrible things do happen sometimes, but here in Bulgaria it is an event to be talked about, whilst in the UK it is an everyday occurence. Having worked with the police from 1982, I saw things change from high drama when a man with a rifle held up a petrol station one day (no shots even fired) to the present day, when gun and knife crime are hourly events across the country and serious violence is commonplace. Compared to that, Bulgaria is paradise.

On the other hand I would say, as I do to all my potential clients, research, research and more research, then when you arrive here there is little which will shock you. Surprise maybe, but shock should not happen if you have done your homework.
I think people forget this is a post communist country, things have changed dramaticaly over the last few years although still a long way to go to become equal to the rest of the EU. But then why would anyone come here if they want chip shops, takeaways, English cinemas etc?
It is beyond me.

For those who truly want to experience a new way of life, very similar to that in the UK at the start of the 20th century then this is the place to be, with the added advantage that here there is modern technology with the mobile phone networks, television and internet, so progression should be faster than it was there.
Of course the older generation are none too sure if they want things to change that much, but when do generations ever agree? The younger ones now coming into adulthood, or entering the schools will change the face of Bulgaria because they want what everyone else has, comfort, employment, leisure facilities and opportunity.

Let's hope they don't change it too much in my lifetime, otherwise I may as well have stayed where I was.
This is life in the raw, every day is a challenge and unexpected events take one by surprise all the time. It is lovely but not for everyone, some people are really not happy outside their comfort zone and should make realistic decisions as to whether this country, at this stage, is really the place they want to be.

As for me, ...it's great, bring it on..

:hilarious:
Back to top Go down
anglachanka
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 12:05 pm

I would just like to make a small comment on alarms. I don't think a car alarm is necessary unless you live in the city, when it would probably be a good idea.

A house alarm is, however, a very good idea if your house here is to be a holiday home. Word spreads in all villages when a property is purchased by a foriegner, who are considered to be rich, even if this is not the case and if the house is left empty for long periods of time, then temptation can prove too great for those with a criminal turn of mind.

I have met one English couple recently with a house they purchased 4 years ago which unfortunately has been broken into, completely stripped and vandalised. It just makes sense to me that if the house is empty for months on end to protect it, and would surely make any insurance company happier. Neighbours, however good, cannot watch it 24 hours a day.

And no we don't get a commission from the alarm companies ... just the aggravation of being the keyholder and being called out in the middle of the night if the alarm goes off.
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Everything you say here Diana makes sense, but how many of us ever listen? I have an alarm and I don't worry I have good neighbors to but I think that the alarm on the house does give me piece of mind although I don't ever worry, maybe I have just been very lucky and chose the right place to live? to be honest I would rather trust My neighbors in Bulgaria than those in the uk :shock:yes I know that sounds sad but I have to speak as I find and Bulgarians for me win hands down everytime [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
anglachanka
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 8:23 am

Me too ;
)
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 7:42 am

I agree with all of the above and I certainly love it here. It is wise to remember that Bulgaria was under the yoke of communism until quite recently (1989). The people had no voice and everything was uniform and no incentive to improve their lot. What a difference nowadays and how fast Bulgaria is improving. Coming from Britain it must be a very big leap to make and to be happy here its necessary to bear these things in mind before making judgements. I came from another backward European country so the change was not so extreme.
We have had no problems in our village. We feel very safe and I feel sorry for Tony who has not been so lucky. Coming to live in Bulgaria is not just about choosing a wonderful house but choosing the village very carefully. When I was househunting I realised that I was given no time to look around the various villages. It was pure luck that I found a good one.
Back to top Go down
FlorryB
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:13 am

Couldn't agree more with all that's been said. Car alarms are definitely worthwhile in a city. We lived in Sofia before moving out to a nice small town and had our car nicked in Sofia. Here, we can leave it without the alarm on and not have a worry it will be stolen. We do have a house alarm but prefer to leave it to our German Shepherd to bark like crazy if anyone comes a-calling

We haven't seen any violent crime here in Bulgaria in nearly five years. There are no horrid gangs of hoodies stood on the corners, the kids are polite and well-mannered. The worst I had was when in a local shop and a kid came in and tried to jump in front of me whilst I was being served. One hard stare with a sharp 'chaka' soon made him drop his head and go bright red in shame. All the other ladies in the shop smiled and said well done to me. Can't imagine that in Britain, probably wouldn't have said a word to him for fear of being hit or stabbed.

We could never have owned our lovely house free of mortgage in the UK at this stage, nor afford to eat as well as we do, nor live as nicely as we live.

Of course, there are times when the place can drive us potty - queuing, no recycling, litter, poor service (men spitting on the streets in Sofia was particularly horrid) and so on - but at the end of the day, it's a darn site better here than many other places and yes "
Bulgaria is for me !!!!"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:48 am

Come on folks I'm sure many of you have similar stories to tell thanks FlorryB
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
baxter
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 3:03 pm

We have an alarm and it's the lady across the road! We owned our place for 5 years before moving here and even though it stood empty (in a village) for most of that time, we never had a problem. We knew the neighbours watched out for us and they still do even now we live here. Yes, bad things happen here 'humans are humans' after all and even in our village cars and houses are locked etc but this side of Bulgaria (in our experience) has not been a problem for us.

A previous post said research and research before moving or buying here and that is good advice as there are many things that are differant here and it is by no means perfect. However, so far for us the good outweighs the bad.
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Its always nice to hear these kind of stories it warms my heart, I have traveled all over Bulgaria and come across all sorts of people most good and very few bad which you will see in most places around the world but I believe out of all the places I have been/visited Bulgaria is probably the best as far as hospitality goes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Bulgaria is certainly very different from Britain but if you take this into consideration and do not always look backwards with romanticsm, you will enjoy life here. I have had a wonderful time today which reinforces my love for my particular village and life here. There was a 'praznik'(holiday) celebrating Bulgaria's culture on November 1st. I was invited to the celebratory lunch. Although I am always nervous when asked to attend with my limited Bulgarian and sketchy idea of whatever is being celebrated, but I make the effort which is always well rewarded. I was the only British person there but I managed to understand some of what was going on and in no way was I made to feel the outsider. We all shared home-made wine and I took along a box of English chocolates. If you integrate in Bulgarian life in general you will be very happy here. If you don't you may well feel isolated.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:21 pm

I agree with all you have said here oldun but why is that as soon as some Brits get to Bulgaria the seem to leave their brains at the airport ? what i mean is they go for a holiday spend a couple of weeks in the sun and drinking all they can then make the life changing decision to move there and then once they have been there a couple of months start to complain about the country and its people [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] as you have said go with your eyes wide open and your more lightly to fall in love with the place

sarah
Back to top Go down
Cumbrian
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Yes, a nice post, suppose it's easy to feel isolated, but usually in my experience, the effort made to integrate is repaid in kind.

I've also seen the Brit outposts, in Spain, and I guess other places, where Brits make themselves unpopular by staying in their own communities trying to create a little England and shunning local ways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria is for me !!!!   Bulgaria is for me !!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bulgaria is for me !!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next