Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Empty
PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:37 pm

[size=75:36grtz5z]The Argus 7 April 2010

A couple who retired to Bulgaria said they will be forced to sell their dream home just to buy food.

John, 65, and Sandra Gundry, 48, say they have been left penniless after continually being targeted by thieves and being fraudulently sold a derelict property.

The pair claim even their dog was poisoned in an ongoing “hate campaign” that has left them without enough money to ring the British Embassy in the country’s capital Sofia for help.

John said: “We came here with two van loads and now I don’t think we have enough stuff to fill a suitcase.”

“I’d hate to think how much we have lost.”

The couple lived in Eastbourne for 25 years before moving to Bulgaria in 2008 for a more relaxing life after Sandra was given days to live unless she had an operation to remove an embolism on her brain.

They paid £9,000 for a café️ but when they arrived in Bulgaria on Christmas 2008 the site was a ruin.

The couple sold the café️ within six months for half what they had paid for it and hoped to make a fresh start when they bought a three bedroom bungalow in another village called Butovo.

Almost immediately the couple fell foul of thieves who took their TV, computer, catering equipment, money, Christmas decorations and even Sandra’s engagement ring.

They claim their beloved German Shepherd was also killed after someone fed it poisoned meat.

John said: “I get the feeling the locals think because we come from the West, we are wealthy and so we have become a target all the time.

“It feels almost like spite, that they envy us.

“We don’t think we trod on anybody’s toes here, we tried to learn a bit of Bulgarian but it just feels like there’s a hate campaign against us.”
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:54 pm

It's very unfortunate, but certainly seems to be true that Westerners are thought of as rich and are being targetted, particularly given the severity of the economic crisis, which looks as if it will continue for some time yet.

Regards, C.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 3:57 pm

coriolanus wrote:
It's very unfortunate, but certainly seems to be true that Westerners are thought of as rich and are being targetted, particularly given the severity of the economic crisis, which looks as if it will continue for some time yet.

Regards, C.

I think its more than "
very unfortunate "
i think its downright distgusting that this could happen to them ...as it is to so many brits here ..it also begs the question ...was it a bulgarian or brit that sold them "
"
a café️ that when they arrived in Bulgaria on Christmas 2008 the site was a ruin. "
"

yes I know what your all going to say...they should have been more careful ..they should have checked it out better .......maybe they put their TRUST in the wrong person !!!
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:04 pm

I see what your saying here varnagirl but you may also be right about who they trusted? there is another thread on here talking about TRUST and it does raise some very important questions but I will be one of those who will say yes they should have done more homework but at what point do you say you've done enough research? there will never be enough for anyone yes there is the odd 1 or 2 that all goes well for but I'm afraid S**t happens and sometime in huge piles
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:10 pm

too true davshaz.....expecially in Bulgaria .. !...and yes my referal to TRUST ..was linked to the thread on here for just that
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Another terrible story of peoples dreams ending in tears when will it ever end [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 10:02 pm

surely, you get out while you can, the last thousand pounds will get you home, i say this as i have friends who are on the limit of staying with no money left and need to go home, with nothing left, they have to return to the uk with the last dregs of money that they have and start all over again. if i was in that position i would go back before the last of the money run out. to be is such a desperate situation just does not bare thinking about, how awful.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Admin wrote:
[size=75:xyyi5g84]The Argus 7 April 2010

A couple who retired to Bulgaria said they will be forced to sell their dream home just to buy food.

John, 65, and Sandra Gundry, 48, say they have been left penniless after continually being targeted by thieves and being fraudulently sold a derelict property.

The pair claim even their dog was poisoned in an ongoing “hate campaign” that has left them without enough money to ring the British Embassy in the country’s capital Sofia for help.

John said: “We came here with two van loads and now I don’t think we have enough stuff to fill a suitcase.”

“I’d hate to think how much we have lost.”

The couple lived in Eastbourne for 25 years before moving to Bulgaria in 2008 for a more relaxing life after Sandra was given days to live unless she had an operation to remove an embolism on her brain.

They paid £9,000 for a café️ but when they arrived in Bulgaria on Christmas 2008 the site was a ruin.

The couple sold the café️ within six months for half what they had paid for it and hoped to make a fresh start when they bought a three bedroom bungalow in another village called Butovo.

Almost immediately the couple fell foul of thieves who took their TV, computer, catering equipment, money, Christmas decorations and even Sandra’s engagement ring.

They claim their beloved German Shepherd was also killed after someone fed it poisoned meat.

John said: “I get the feeling the locals think because we come from the West, we are wealthy and so we have become a target all the time.

“It feels almost like spite, that they envy us.

“We don’t think we trod on anybody’s toes here, we tried to learn a bit of Bulgarian but it just feels like there’s a hate campaign against us.”

This is indeed a most terrible story. I am truly sorry for their troubles. However, I am also struggling to understand like Starlite says, why did they not get out before it got to this stage. Yes, I know sometimes its easier said than done, but life must have been hell for them especially after their beloved pet was poisoned That would be enough to put many of us off - but I guess you can't just let the bullies take over either. With the problems they had already I would have said walk away, if they really want to stay in Bulgaria, move to a different area. Such a shame.

Oddy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 5:53 am

Quote :
I think its more than "
very unfortunate "
i think its downright distgusting that this could happen to them ...as it is to so many brits here ..it also begs the question ...was it a bulgarian or brit that sold them "
"
a café️ that when they arrived in Bulgaria on Christmas 2008 the site was a ruin. "
"

yes I know what your all going to say...they should have been more careful ..they should have checked it out better .......maybe they put their TRUST in the wrong person !!!

In fact, that question is not begged. Do you know who sold them the property? Maybe they did "
trust"
the wrong person. Frankly, "
more fool them"
if they did and if this story is actually true, which it has not been proven to be.

Regards, C.
Back to top Go down
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 6:12 am

I think I met this couple once, if it's the same John and Sandra who lived near Karlovo first. They did buy a "
cafe"
, it had not worked as that for some time. I think they moved here from France.

If it is them, I know some friends of theirs who are still in France, will let them know about the article.
Back to top Go down
nigelin

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Is this a true story or is it a scam? I've seen a similar story on other forums
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 8:38 pm

it was highlighted on novite news, so maybe more true than not.
Back to top Go down
thetravelbug
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 7:33 am

Being on Novinte means nothing. Remember the story I was involved in where the 'poor Scottish couple' were having to sell everything, beg and get donations so they could return home after being made unemployed etc....the same couple that stole thousands from me, squatted in my house and scammed a lot of people. Don't believe everything that appears in the papers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetravelbug.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food   Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1