HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Empty
PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 pm

I have a question to all of you that already live out in Bulgaria, and it is how do you cope with the winters? in other words how do you keep warm and what do you do during the winter sesaon months ?
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi ya Daisy,

We started by having a Three Phase Electric heating system. Basicaly it acted like a rapid imersion heater which then pumped hot water around the radiators. Good system and very effective, but my god was it expensive average outlay was about 500nb per month so for an average four month winter Nov - Feb would be 2000nb in old money about 900 Pounds. One bill was over 650nb [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But as my wife is a cold soul our winter started in October and will end possibly in April so you can see very expensive. We still have the system as a back up to our now fully installed wood burner. It looks like an old fashioned Coal Furnace but uses wood logs. Obviously more labour intensive and dirty but just as good and keeps the house nice and warm (Toast). [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Much more economical as a cubic meter of logs costs anywhere between 40 - 60nb depending when you buy them. We generaly use about 5 Cubic meters per month. Slightly more if it is realy cold. We back this up with 2 Calor Gas heaters for the milder times when the heating is just on in the evening. So if there is a sudden drop in temperature we whack on the calor gas.

Hope this helps

Tony
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Daisy,
Thats a hard one everyone is different,we use a wood burner,but i am not yet convinced its the cheapest way,so far 2 months of cold weather we have used about 6 cube of wood,plus we have been using aircon unit on hot,so this being our first winter we are testing everything,i think the next stage is a wood burner that can run about 5 radiators,thats for next winter,but we have friends that run their petchka with rads and they burn a lot more wood than we do.i do believe the answer out here is insulation,we have another friend who runs 2 aircon units all through the winter at 25 degrees never turned off and his heating bill is less than ours for wood,but his house is welll insulated,so i think thats the key here,insulation,its trial and error,how warm you want to be,hope this is of help to you

Mike
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Very good point on the insulation Mike. We are having our house done in September of this year. That is on the outside walls. I will also put a layer of something in the loft heat rises and all that.

Tony
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi Tony if you going to insulate dont use that white rubbish its not a lot of good use the blue high denisity it is brill

Mike
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 6:35 pm

insulation is a must. i use a combination of oil, gas and electric. no wood burning at all. i found wood expensive, smelly and dirty.

in the winter i decorate, work on my novel, read, watch tv and enjoy company of friends. much the same you do back in the uk.
Back to top Go down
Banned member2
Anonymous

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:04 pm

I have found a big fat women and lots of sex helps a lot . But to tell the truth i just throw a log on the fire .

Last edited by 1 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:09 pm

This suggestion from Mike makes this a . Is this blue stuff called Febran by any chance and can you get it from ABC?

Tony
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Yes it is and yes you can,but ABC is not the cheapest place

Mike
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Keep it coming Mike. Surprise me where. Is it that place opposite or where?
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Just up the road from ABC they are cheaper,but i get discount as well because i buy loads off them,give me a shout when your getting it and i will meet you there and it will be far cheaper for you

Mike
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Cheers me dear your on
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:24 pm

No problem Tony i am in Yambol most days doing my material deliveries so i am sure we can make it a mutual day

Mike
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Now if you can get my roofing gear cheaper then your in for a beer or 2
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:32 pm

My programme is:- end of May new roof. End September insulation. Us poor pensioners have to eek out the pennies [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?   How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you keep warm in the winter and what do you do ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next