altText

EU grants delayed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Judybaby
Junior user
Junior user

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Did anyone hear the item on radio 4 last friday about corruption in Bulgaria?

Apparently millions of Euros in grants are being witheld by the EU as they are worriedt the moneywill end up in the pockets on the mafia. This is money available for improving the infrastructure etc. Apparently it is encumbent on Bulgaria to abolish organised crime as part of it's membvership of the EU. One of the problems is that many of the top officials in the country have or have had links to the various mafia bosses (allegedly!).

I wonder if the EU membership could be at risk and if any time limit has been set to sort it out?

Judy
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:28 pm

I follow what you say but I think it would take a hell of a lot before their kicked out you only have to look at other EU countries to see that including the UK
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:09 pm

they are still ascending into the eu, bit like the carrot and stick, or eat your dinner and you get your pudding. bulgaria has not spent the funds on what it was given for, that was why billions were froze until bulgaria proves itself that it can do what is asked, rather than let money filter into the wrong hands which is common here.

as for the uk it takes from the eu what it wants and is deaf to what it does not want to comply with, but the uk has the infrastructure in place, bulgaria does not.

as for corruption, its in all countries and starts at the top, the uk is just a little better at kepping it hidden.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 pm

starlite wrote:

as for corruption, its in all countries and starts at the top, the uk is just a little better at kepping it hidden.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Yes your right it's just a case of time before they get it right and reading all the Bulgarian papers they certainly are having trying
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 12:04 am

Lets hope they fine a happy medium as Bulgaria has has several warning so far and the are really trying the patients of the EU . The roads are improving in the main cities but still have a long way to go in the towns and villages. We can only keep Bulgaria gets it right before it really is too late.

Oddy
Back to top Go down
Judybaby
Junior user
Junior user

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:42 am

Starlite

I have to disagree with you about the UK taking what it wants and ignoring the rules.

In the Uk it is perceived that we are about the only country which sticks to the rules laid down in Brussels. I know from travelling in the meditarean countries that practices that they have are banned or heavily regulated in the UK.

Crash helmets, health & safety, fishing regs, smoking bans, size & shape of veg etc

We are over regulated here and I think that's a contributing factor in many Brits wanting to escape, including me!

Judy
Back to top Go down
hev
Junior user
Junior user

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:02 am

I worked for the welsh assembly govenment on the EU grant and the one thing the EU insist on is the paperwork to account for all (every last penny or euro) and alot of the bulgarian monies can not be accounted for, the EU will stop payment until this is corrected, they do random checks for evidence and if there is a discrepence they stop all funds. as soon as the bulgarian get the paperwork up to scratch the EU will continue to give the grants, as the bulgarian are new to this it may take them some time, it is not an easy process.

Hev
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:27 am

All this corruption mularky makes me laugh

Do people realy think that it only goes on in BG. Trouble is they are more open with it. Maybe more obvious as well loads of big Black 4x4's with shifty looking people wearing sun glasses in the rain.

But what about the GB Members of Parliament. Expenses (what expenses) They think it is thier right to fiddle but is not that not also corrupt.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 12:19 pm

why does britain not adopt the euro when its in the eu. certain medications i was on in the uk I cannot have in bulgaria as they are banned by the eu, so why does britain think its above itself and choose what it wants from the eu, and it does.
Back to top Go down
Judybaby
Junior user
Junior user

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Let's not even get started on the MP's here in the UK. I've always believed they were in it for their own gain. What gets me is that now they're rumbled they're so indignant about it!!

I'm afraid this country is a greedy, debt ridden, morally bankrupt, socially broken disgrace!

I worry for my kids futures and have advised both of them to seek pastures new ie Aussie or NZ.

It is still a beautiful country though and when (i Know it's not often) the sun shines here in Devon it really is amazing!

I'm not naive to think that Bulgaria is the only country with corruption, I believe all the powers that be are corrupt one level or another!

Judy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Judybaby wrote:

I'm not naive to think that Bulgaria is the only country with corruption, I believe all the powers that be are corrupt one level or another!
Judy

Well said Judy it's not a case where there is corruption but more a case where there isn't? and that's the BIG question
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Pavlova
Junior user
Junior user

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Theres no organisation more corrupt than the European Union itself who have yet to account fully on their books...........Jobs for the boys ....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EU grants delayed Empty
PostSubject: Re: EU grants delayed   EU grants delayed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EU grants delayed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1