altText

Favourite Childhood Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chris

Favourite Childhood Books Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Just noticed we had a new member called 'stigofthedump' which got me thinking of the book by Clive King.

This has to be one of my favourite books from childhood, especially the wonder of things like creating a window out of Jam Jars and a chimney out of tin cans (if you've never read it, then you won't get that bit!).

The Famous Five were also high up on my list too.

Anyone else care to chip in with favourite childhood books?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Pavlova
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:15 pm

The Secret Garden has to be my all time favourite followed by all the famous five boos by Enid Blyton
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:18 pm

I never read that one Chris but I do remember the tv programs and although I was a little to old to watch them I did enjoy My all time school favorite is any of the Tom Sawyer collection I was always fascinated by these books and our school teacher always read some to us at the end of every school day

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
FlorryB
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Famous Five definitely, specially Timmy the dog - how I loved him and Georgina!

But my real faves were Malory Towers... only girls would prolly understand this... but again by Enid Blyton. Who could forget Darrell Rivers and Sally Hope! St Clare's was good enough but not a patch on this.

Enid Blyton was defo best author in my time for kids.

Apart from that, was a huge fan of Jane Austen as a child. As an aside. And now in later years, I wonder: has there ever been a man to compare with Mr D'Arcy?? Swoon!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

FlorryB wrote:
has there ever been a man to compare with Mr D'Arcy?? Swoon!

Yes ... Heathcliffe ... just like me ... tall, dark hair, Yorkshire and don't speak posh!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 pm

ChrisQBG wrote:
FlorryB wrote:
has there ever been a man to compare with Mr D'Arcy?? Swoon!

Yes ... Heathcliffe ... just like me ... tall, dark hair, Yorkshire and don't speak posh!

but Does FlorryB know all this
Back to top Go down
FlorryB
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Never was mad about Heathcliffe. His demise and anger not entirely his fault but was a bit 'rough'. Not saying there is no place for that ...... oh, but Mr D'Arcy (Ashley, where is the swoon icon please) LOL

No, going off topic there.

Enid Blyton had to be the best children's author around at the time. So, Famous Five gets my vote!!! :)
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 3:58 pm

Shouldn't forget Beatrix Potter, my Dad used to read them to me and my brother at bedtime:

The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin, The Tale of Two Bad Mice (our first Hamster was called Hunca Munca), The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, The Tale of Tom Kitten, The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck, etc.

Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 4:01 pm

How about this Swoon
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm

I loved the Chalet School books, but can't remember the author - Eleanor somebody? The main character was a girl called Jo. After reading them I was desperate to go to boarding school and having midnight feasts. Never got to go. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 pm

My favourite was/is The wind in the willows and Winnie-the-pooh and I still have my winnie -the -pooh books and believe it or not I still occasionally read them and it takes me back to school

sarah
Back to top Go down
abracadabra
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 7:55 pm

My favourites were the Narnia books - C.S. Lewis. They still makea good read now as they were written on two levels, for children and for adults, and I have to admit, I also enjoyed the TV adaptations and the films of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and Prince Caspian. (which was recently on Bulsat)

I used to be convinced that somewhere I would find a wardrobe that could transport me to a magical land...as a teenager I discovered that it was the contents that became magical, but nevertheless, i still think the books are fantastic!

Karen
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 8:00 pm

Mine was treasure island i read it over and over

Mike
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 8:34 pm

Janet & John books complete series.Hated em
Back to top Go down
Judybaby
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 10:31 pm

Definately Enid Blyton, all the I Spy books, Winnie the Pooh

Darcy played by Colin Firth, oh my!

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Childhood Books   Favourite Childhood Books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite Childhood Books

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next