What risk would you take?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
loopeylou
Senior user
Senior user

What risk would you take? Empty
PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Moving abroad is a risk we take, would you do it without an income? ie pension. its hard enough in a foreign country ,but to survive without an income !!
Back to top Go down
whizzy

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 pm

No its far to risky to even think about especially to Bulgaria, Many people have tried this and found that there is no work. Sorry there is work and you stand of change of making a business go but you have to have something that people want. You also have to be in the right location, which means that to buy a house or apartment in these areas is not cheap. You will also need capital and this is money that you have only for the business not what you need to live on.
Back to top Go down
FlorryB
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 6:56 am

It is known that the majority of expats return home within the first 2 years. This doesn't just apply to Bulgaria but to any country. This is nearly always down to money. I wouldn't move overseas without knowing I had an income, be that from a pension or a business. The cost of the upheaval to get there plus having to go back, not just in financial terms but in personal terms, would be too great.
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:38 am

Quote..The cost of the upheaval to get there plus having to go back, not just in financial terms but in personal terms, would be too great.

We came to BG with enough to keep us, for a couple of years after renovating the house, and a pension. I can do most things, and have worked for my self for many years, but without my partner's pension for backup, I think I would have waited until I had made more contacts in the working environment, or we were nearer retirement and my pension. I know people who still have houses sitting here, but went back with nothing. I never conceived of ever going back to live under any circumstances. You need to commit or don't bother.
Back to top Go down
FlorryB
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:24 pm

I think that is fair dave b. You came here with enough for two years and that was a really good plan.

But most don't. If I didn't have enough money to cover myself for at least one year, I would be looking to buy a business here rather than set up something new. Starting a new business only adds to the outlay, stress and worry. But I would defo check out certified and audited accounts on any business, plus would still do my own business plan. Nothing like being financially secure to make you feel better and it really helps in a new country when so much is new that you don't need any more probbies.
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree with you both dave b and ForryB and I know it’s not always easy to make the move with the right amount of money needed but I think to do otherwise is suicide and can only end up with great regrets and tears I do know a few who thought they could make it with very little in hope that they would find an income out there but all too often that wasn't the case [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
baxter
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 9:06 pm

It is a huge risk and we took it! We moved over in 2008, gave up our jobs in UK, uprooted our son, house up for sale (eventually sold it in Nov 2009). We have had some very tough times but we came with the determination to really give this a go. If you have no income from the UK (we don't) you have to work hard. We have been building up a couple of businesses now for 18 months and it is very tough, not for the faint hearted. We have no regrets and our son loves it here.
Back to top Go down
bobski
Anonymous

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 9:40 pm

as i see it and please correct me if i am wrong.

every person is different, has different circumstances...i myself am quite young to be retired in bg.

mostly you get older people coming here...folks who have sold up "
lock stock n barrel"
then try to survive on the capital from their sale and a pension.

we see a lot of what we call "
council house millionaires"
...and god help them if the council find out they have sold the house..

going back to the OP...i could not survive here without my income from my bussiness & property intrests in the UK.

bob.
Back to top Go down
botev
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 9:51 pm

ha ha ha ha, i have to agre with bobski, council house millionaires, however i came from a council house trying to better myself as a 20 year old!!! as i wouldnt be able to afford a house in the uk infact it was all a battle with my circumstances there....i got up and left and i am not a council millionaire ha ha ha i am infact a normal young person just trying to live a clean life and trying to provide for my family without being raped my the government in the uk for taxes.....

I dont see it as a risk coming here it would had been a risk staying in the uk for me, risking becoming a council bum and only being able to work as a part time teacher as i financially damned if i worked full time!!!!I survive here because it is a matter of having to, i have nothing in the uk and nothing to talk of here expect a little translation job and new business adventure and lots of mouths to feed, i love it!!!

Last edited by 233 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not a suitable comment)
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 10:52 pm

No we would not even dream of moving abroad or anywhere else unless we could support ourselves long term. Guess everyone has there own view and to be fair, the cost of living is much lower in Bulgaria and most British people can live better in Bulgaria on their state pension than they can here in the UK. So why not go for it if you can!!!

Oddy
Back to top Go down
raveydaveygravey
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 1:43 pm

I won't move permanently to BG until my mortgage is finished, so I can rent it out and live off that income. Would be crazy for me to do anything else, I'm fairly well trained in different aspects of work but you can never guarantee work can you? I don't worry about work now and wouldn't want to, so would no-way do that abroad.

They say 'good things come to those that wait' Just hope I don't get run over by a bus the day my mortgage is finished!
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:07 pm

It is a well known fact that you must have an income from somewhere in order that you can live in BG

But there are other factors that you must consider. Language, well it is not easy to learn as you get older If you can, try and have a Bulgarian friend, as once you have one they are your friends for life. We have ours and would not be without them.

Being ripped off, at first it is the norm but with expeience you soon find out who will con you and who does'nt The crrency, there is a Bulgarian Leva and a British Leva .

You can go into shops and the price of goods can double as soon as you open your mouth. Always;
when buying stuff try and take your Bulgarian friend to talk on your behalf. We are OK now as we are known but our first transactions were somewhat expensive.

The weather, in the summer it is great very hot and predictable. But to say you can live here permanently you must stay a full winter. My goodness its cold (very cold at times). You must also choose your heating wisely, Electrcity is expensive but if you have a wood burner which can heat water for full central heating then this is by far the more economical method. But only if you buy your wood in the summer months. A cubic meter in summer can cost as little as 40nb but in Jan or Feb it goes up to 60nb per cubic. We ran our Electric heating one year and spent as much in 2 months for heating as we now spend in a full winter on logs. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A few things to ponder but not an exhaustive list by anymeans

Hope you were not bored but maybe of use
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:14 pm

your taking a big risk if you dont do your sums before you make the move. realistically you need to calculate one years living costs x by 10 years, throw in the cost of a car. total.

look at your savings and pension income ( do not count wages) for that period and divide by 10. will give you insight and minimise the risk.

youll be amazed just how much money you need to live.

sink or swim.
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 pm

I and my wife gave it a lot of thought before we came i think life in England is a risk,break ins being knifed road accidents,hospitals are not safe wih all the bugs,the list is endless,in BG the hardest thing is to make a living everything else is fantastic,roads are quiet dentist hospitals doctors are all great,food is nearly all organic,air s fresh what a loverly life we have

Mike
Back to top Go down
botev
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:57 pm

tonyb60, true true,,,agree with most things all those our log burner has proved very expenisve!!! not very economical for a three storey house, lucky we rent other wise i would be mighty finely p@@sed off, great for the first and second floor, although for me i would say only any use for a one floor place!!!

where abouts are you?

ha ha ha ha mikehev roads are quiet because they are disastrous in most areas especially rural areas, the good roads, well the only quiet one is the motorway, the cities are heaving as are the resorts and surrounding areas however this is only summer!! I agree with you thought about living in uk being a risk if there is one thing here crime rate is at a low in comparison to uk, well it is in the winter in my area summer could be a different stastic all together!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What risk would you take?   What risk would you take? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What risk would you take?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next