Gardening What to Plant and When

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
mickhev
Super user
Super user

Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is just for little old selfish me,no not really,until coming to Bg never done much gardening,so any help when to plant things how to plant and any tips would be great

Mike
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Loupylou
Anonymous

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Last year we threw in some spuds ,onions,Garlics,Brussels and anything we thought might grow under closhes in late march and hey presto!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thought we might be able to stagger the spread of growing ,but everything came up together,21 cucumbers on one plant at a time!! would not mind but i,m the only one who eats them,ended up goin to cucumbers anon You have to watch out for colorado beetle and a virus that attacks your Toms & Chillis, if you have that prob just take an infected plant into the gardening chemist and they will give you the treatment, any probs you have regarding insects or viruses they are pretty spot on!!
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 pm

Thank you thats good to know,i think we have to cut the grapes back in March and spray them,but not found out yet what they spray them with

Mike
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 am

Hey Mikie

I have a an excellent idea Why not grow money I seen the tv add with the chap growing money for Barclays - I will take a few 1000 cutting too please

O ddy
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 6:09 am

Yes please can i have 6 trees

Mike
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Yes me to I'll put an order in for 5000 a month
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:49 am

I was self employed everything in UK but mainly loved gardening, hard, landscaping etc.
I brought an old walled Victorian garden back to use over 3 years in North Wales which is where we lived before moving to BG.
One of the main reasons we came here was the amount of garden we could have.
We are into our 4thgrowing season here and still learning. but will try to offer advice if possible. re Veg. and others plants. But checking what's available locally is always good.
I would try over time to build a series of raised beds if possible, easier to work, and control, say 4 x1.5 metres and I would say get an idea of your acid alkaline soil areas if you can.

Looking forward to Spring and lots of Info.
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 9:06 am

That sounds good Dave i will be watching,and hope you give us lots of help

Mike
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:56 am

Any chance someone could write a step by step guide for planting veg and when I know nothing at all
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Maybe in the late Autumn when the growing season is over and everyone's experiences (good and bad,) have been posted, we can sort through and put all the relevant info. onto a sticky, ready for next year?
Back to top Go down
dave

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 10:59 am

I have found that if you can find a friendly local they will help you, watch wha your neighbour do's and follow suit. Ant's are a big problem with seed they will have it away with every thing you plant and you don't see the little bugger but thay are there but you can beat them and for the life of me i can't recall the name of the powder you put down at the same time as your seeds. Water is another thing every thing needs watering, and the weeds also love this and you can spend time weeding but this year I'm mulching as i go. By the way before i come here i had only grown grass . lol
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 am

That's something I didn't know, The ants info. I failed completley with 3 lots of lettuce!
The soil where we live is great, but on the clay side, cold when wet and cracks when dry.
So I would recommend start composting everything as early in the year as possible. I use 3
against a fence, and fencing wire to separate them. or palletes if you can get them. and turn and water them regular it speeds up the process a lot. I also had a friends horse manure delivered in tons last year and mixed it in layers with your vegetable matter. Dig it in the atumn or when the crops come out.
I also mulched the dug over garden with it in the Autumn. Use any mulch you can.
I also peel or knock of the bark, when I chain saw my wood in the spring/summer.
The bark chips are great for round the fruit trees. The weeds always grow quicker than the crops and it helps cut down on the water.
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:12 pm

Has anyone found anything the just won't grow [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Not exactly but, when we tried runner beans the flowers would not set. Same with Broad beans, we hung on to them through the summer, and as it became cooler they started to set. I know a certain bee can cause a lot of problems with flowers as it drills a hole in the back of the flower and gets the reward without pollinating,(but only some were like that) so if you have flowers on anything this year and no setting, look for a hole in the back of the flower. Also in the UK the garden programs tell you that spraying the beans is an old wives tale! well maybe in the uk it is, but when it's 30C to 40C week after week, I think spraying really helps, also a quick way to help with intake of water. so we had plenty of both to freeze in the long run. I have a plan for this year too for runners, don't know if it will make a difference but instead of going up with runners, I am going to grow them in a shadier spot along wires nearer ground level keep the flowers out of the sun more and see if I get earlier beans.
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:38 pm

I love runners and intend to grow some this year brought loads of English seed to try out,thats a good tip i think i will try that way

Mike
Back to top Go down
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply to Scotts question dave b I'm no gardener but I will be having ago and all this help is just what I need thank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gardening What to Plant and When   Gardening What to Plant and When - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gardening What to Plant and When

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next