altText
altText

double glazing the balcony.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

double glazing the balcony. Empty
PostSubject: double glazing the balcony.   double glazing the balcony. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 7:17 am

We have decided to double glaze the down stairs balcony from the steps to the window after the door. The between bars and glass will be removed but the main bars will stay and brown pvc pannes insertedall the way along to the second window. We will sort from the second window out in due course as we intend to extend the kitchen later.

There will be a normal size glass and pvc bottom door on the left side and the first two bars on the front will have double glazed sliding doors again with pvc on panels on the bottom. the next set of bars will have 3 windows panels but only the middle one opening. The next set will be and L shaped glass and bottom pvc panel. first picture migh give you a better idea. The glass will be seal units double glazed and the brown plastic of good quality say the myster. The big double doors will be sliding and eventually will open onto a decking. Total price to supply and fit will be 3000lev What do you think.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
balcony it is very t
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   double glazing the balcony. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 7:55 am

Basing the price on what I paid about 9 years ago for a similar sized job (on two different properties, but done at the same time), the price seems pretty much right.

g
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: double glazing the balcony.   double glazing the balcony. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 am

T [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The same chap put in our windows in the garage 5 windows for about 1000lev and did a good job, plus he is a friend of a friend. I will get a few more quotes just as comparison.

The kitchen we will have to extend as it is really dead space. Dougie wants to use block on the two walls and refit the existing window fiurther out but I am thinking more of carrying on the double glazing all the way across, but may have to insulate the bottom pvc area. We can bring the washing machine and the freezer back from the garage. The space is quite small may have just under a meter wide and the length of 3 of the existing glass panels when finished, but is it worth the cost and effort?
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   double glazing the balcony. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 9:58 am

Only you can decide if it's worth the cost and effort...if it will provide a handy, usable area, then it may be...otherwise not.
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Re: double glazing the balcony.   double glazing the balcony. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 11:32 am

looking good g
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   double glazing the balcony. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 6:26 pm

How is the glazing project coming along?

I've spent the last couple of days 'winterising' what passes for a summer kitchen, at our city apartment. It now features snow and wind protection for when we choose to cook outside. Prior to this, all winter time meal preparation was done inside, in the room which is also used as the dining room, sitting room and my computer nook...gets a tad crowded at times! Luckily, we have two large patios, one of which has had a few square metres relegated for alternative use. Cook will be pleased.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: double glazing the balcony.   double glazing the balcony. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 7:45 pm

justbazz wrote:
How is the glazing project coming along?

I've spent the last couple of days 'winterising' what passes for a summer kitchen, at our city apartment. It now features snow and wind protection for when we choose to cook outside. Prior to this, all winter time meal preparation was done inside, in the room which is also used as the dining room, sitting room and my computer nook...gets a tad crowded at times! Luckily, we have two large patios, one of which has had a few square metres relegated for alternative use. Cook will be pleased.

Ah well done you! will be good to have more space.

We had another double glazing company come yesterday, he pointedo ut a few other things we did not take into consideration such as the opening of the first door should be opened left to right as would be more pratical. Also two double sliding doors would be far too heavy as the space is very wide you would be better with 3 doors all sliding, and do we really want sliding doors when it snows the snow will get in the grove and freeze so you will not be able to open the door unless you clear it all everyday. Then the top and the upright bars are, they will all need to be covered in pvc to finished off otherwise the bars will all be showing - so we would need to get another mister in to do all that. He will get a quote from the mister and add it all in. For him to do the windows it would be 2900lev and the mister to supply materials and finish off will be another 600lev. it will take 3 days, first day they will fit the pvc frames and second day the mister will come and do the finishings and the 3rd day they will fit all the glass. I have one more company coming on Tuesday, this company was very good when we had the attempted breakins. They came and fitted all new glass to the 5 windows broken but would not take any money from us, because he knew of our reputation helping others. He was a lovely man but unfortunately died of a heartattack 3 years ago. When we were helping Petu pick the grapes, we were told to stop and follow the man who came down for us. No idea who he was or where we were going but Petu said go with him get in his car and you know we did, it was afterwards I thought how stupid that was he could have been anyone. But as it turned out it was safe, he was a friend of Gerrard the owner of the window company. Gerrards wife found out we were in the village and she sent someone to pick us up and bring her back to her place for lunch. Dougie had gone to a few bbq with them before and she consider us friends and probably a link to here deceased husband. It turns out she still has the double glazing company so I said about doing the balcony and she will send someone on Tuesday. So will wait for that quote and then decide. The price is around the 3000lev mark with all of them.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   double glazing the balcony. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 9:37 pm

The price is very reasonable...you couldn't get anywhere close to that back in the UK! What matters here, is the service...watch what they are doing, check the quality of the metal fittings...they MUST be decent stainless steel. The finished product must seal properly...attention to detail is paramount in this case. I've been there and done that....only got caught out once and it cost him more than the job was worth to come back and fix it. The word got around and I've never had a problem since.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: double glazing the balcony.   double glazing the balcony. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

double glazing the balcony.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1