altText

How to DIY,

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 8:35 am

Morning guys though  I would start a new post off on how to do a DIY job.  We have so many knowledgable people on here that we could actually build our own house.  So lets get the ball rolling.

Today I need to ask a question re putting stone cladding inside around the pechka. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Our walls are magnolia and last winter we had the fire on 24/7 so the walls and ceiling are discoloured hence will have to paint. But was thinking about putting the stone cladding on the wall but we need to know the following please:

1 Do we need to use a netting on the wall to keep the stone on.

2 Do we need to use as special adhesive or grout.

3 how far out from the corner of the wall do we need to stick the stone on ie 1m or less

4 Does the wall need to be treated with something first

Thanks a million g
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 6:57 am

Hi Berni,
Got the man another project then?? La

My answers regarding what I did, and has been in place 8+ years and still holding up, but I advise the heat deflector sheets when in use full time in winter, I use one behind the main body of the fire, and the heat deflector that clips on the Chimney itself, both removed after winter.

I used the Kamak which is designed for flooring, not the decorative thin type (usually has a speckled finish)

Quote :
1 Do we need to use a netting on the wall to keep the stone on. I did not use it

2 Do we need to use as special adhesive or grout. I used Teraflex - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3 how far out from the corner of the wall do we need to stick the stone on ie 1m or less - Not sure what you mean by this, In my case I am in a recess so went edge to edge

4 Does the wall need to be treated with something first - I applied a skim of Teraflex first, let that dry then applied the stone on top of that
On completion I painted the whole area with the Stone lacquer available at most DIY shops, got mine at Bricolage

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Completed recess

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Completed job, Left side a wood storage box lined with fire bricks. Right side recess for coal bucket and kindling same construction as wood box

I am sure there will be other useful tips but this worked for me How to DIY, 3367882216

Bill

Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks a million [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that is a great help, now just to find out if we need to put netting onto the wall to hold the stones in place>
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 9:03 am

OK, as I said I did not use it, but remember to start at the bottom and work up, and try in small sections at a time, with a fairly stiff mix, giving lower level time to dry and support the layer above, I tacked some in place to stop slipping and removed them before grouting,

Bill
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 9:12 am

T [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I did not see the blue reply in the text, How to DIY, 2345823347 Good will follow the instructions. Thanks a million.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: subject   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 9:17 am

That's a tried and true method Berni...I did it on my fireplace (which you've seen) about 9 years ago and never had a problem since.
Back to top Go down
GeshiSimon
Senior user
Senior user
GeshiSimon

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 10:54 am

If  I may ask of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is it possible that You can pin this post or make a new category in the topics list, contained within are likely to be many tidbits of information that some of us may be lacking.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: subject   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 11:30 am

I think that's a great idea Simon...some great ideas and methods from lots of folk on here.

g
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 2:02 pm

GeshiSimon wrote:
If  I may ask of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is it possible that You can pin this post or make a new category in the topics list, contained within are likely to be many tidbits of information that some of us may be lacking.

Thanks Si, that was my original plan and I tried to do it myself but it it only [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who can do this Therefore, he will put it in it's own catagory shortly. But for now keep posting on here.
Back to top Go down
GeshiSimon
Senior user
Senior user
GeshiSimon

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Le Bump
just to keep this one active!
Information that may be of use
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm

GeshiSimon wrote:
Le Bump
just to keep this one active!
Information that may be of use

T Si g [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How to DIY, Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to DIY,   How to DIY, Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to DIY,

View previous topic View next topic Back to top