altText

Polystyrene walls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Polystyrene walls  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Polystyrene walls    Polystyrene walls  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2017 7:32 am

First topic message reminder :

OK another lesson learned.  I used wall paper paste to stick on polystyrene sheets to the wall, big mistake....

As you know we pasted on some polystyrene on the wall to insulate the room but now we need to finish off so we have to get some of the grip plastic things and drill into the wall to hold the polystyrene on.  Well some of it was loose so we took it off only to find patches of mildew, in some areas, I can only assume this was because we used paste and it had not dried properly.  It is only in a few spots mostly where it did not adhere to the wall.  So had to take off where it had not stuck and brush it to clean it now will stick silicon on the 4 corners and a bit in the middle so the air can get though and dry that.  The hall way is fine that was all put on with silicon and stuck fast I don't think there is any need for these plastic grip things.  

Our Bulgarian friend the builder came down to advise us how to cover the polystyrene said we need to drill the plastic plugs in then put netting on and plaster.  I don't think we need to do this as the polystyrene is securely adhered to the wall in the hallway.  I would want a flat clear surface not a stippling effect wall,.   I pointed out it was well stuck to the wall but he said this is how it is done.  I guess this is the only way the builder knows of finishing off and will not even consider thinking outside the box.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   Polystyrene walls  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 6:18 pm

I don't really think that it's down to luck Berni...be prepared to hunt around a bit and do your homework...quite surprising what turns up!
As everyone has discovered, this isn't the UK and you can't really expect to find the same things, in the same way you can at home.

For example...10 years ago, when I was ready to start my building projects, I dropped into the local Forestry Dept and asked a few questions...the result was me being directed to a really good supplier of quality timber (turned out that he was able to supply many other related building products as well). A few weeks later I saw a man retiling his house roof in a village not far from me (we travelled past his house when you were down here) and it looked really good, so I stopped and asked him about the project...resulted in me knowing exactly where to go and buy good quality roofing materials. All the info I collected never cost me a penny, but I have saved many pounds over the years.

Just to give you an idea of the size and scope of my particular project....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

...a lot of work has been completed since then. The roof has been re-done, waterproof membrane installed under the tiles and the whole thing re-aligned, extra window put in on the middle level and so on. Lower level now has a movie room and modernised guest room.

Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Polystyrene walls    Polystyrene walls  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 8:39 pm

It is amazing you did a fantastic job!!! Love it H H H H
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   Polystyrene walls  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 5:44 am

T
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polystyrene walls    Polystyrene walls  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Polystyrene walls

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2