HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

This may interest the readers amongst us.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

This may interest the readers amongst us. Empty
PostSubject: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Being an avid reader and owning a collection/library of some hundreds of books, most of which I've read many times over, an idea popped into my head today.

A book exchange or borrowing service exclusively for forum members.

I'm not talking about one of those places where you pay to get a copy, or exchange one for one etc.....more like asking for or requesting a certain title, or works by a certain author who you may find interesting. I'm pretty sure we all have books tucked away, gathering dust which were saved because they were a good read (or cost a bit more than normal)...maybe it's time to share them around. As I said earlier, I don't envisage any type of fee or payment...example...someone asks for a specific copy or works by that author....someone just happens to have what that person needs...box it all up, call the courier...receiver pays the freight fees.
We are pretty lucky here in Bulgaria...companies like Econt and Rapido provide a countrywide service at a very reasonable rate and they both do the COD thing.

If anyone is interested in such a concept, I'm happy to start it all off. If there is enough interest, I'm sure Ashley could advise me on how to start a seperate, dedicated section, under the Index listings.

What do you all think...am I rocking the boat?
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 8:03 am

Sounds like a plan to me Bazz. Oh wish you had said this before I donated all the books we found in storage (only last week) to the library. Unfortunately all my books went to our book sales in the UK and also sales here in BG, but who knows what we will find when we get round to opening our items from 8 years ago. Wiill keep that in mind.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 8:26 am

That's a bit of a shame Berni...I love reading and spend many hours of an evening with my nose in a book. I can't stand television and probably haven't spent an hour in the last 5 years watching it.

As I wrote in the original post, I have a large collection of books and they vary from novels, biographies, adventure/travel, history and technical stuff. All are in very good condition and most are of the hard cover variety.

Just have to wait and see if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Sadly...no one seems to be interested at all Berni. A trip to the rubbish tip tomorrow morning and a rather large bonfire. This may interest the readers amongst us. 927475117
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 8:11 pm

Give it a little longer Bazz, no bonfire if all else fails donate to the library in Plovdiv.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 8:38 pm

Following your advice Berni...the bonfire was made up of tattered, less than perfect examples of National Geographic and various paperback editions.

Maybe I didn't explain my idea very clearly in the original post, so I'll try again....

Each participating member would post a list of books they have...Title, Author, Language, condition etc.

Anyone (forum members) could then request a copy from these provided lists.

Let me give an example...if I purchase, or are given a book by a certain author and enjoy that book, I go out of my way to obtain other works by the same author. For that reason, I own quite a few complete series by the same person, but every now and then I discover that I'm missing one. This could be a way of completing a collection...or at least getting to read the ones you've missed.
If everyone follows the rules, the only cost is to have the chosen book/s delivered...if you live close or see the owner reasonably often...no cost involved.

The only catch...if I have a book you really want to keep...offer me a book you think I might like and we'll swap. Simple really.

I've been in contact with Ashley and he is happy to help with creating a new section on the forum to deal with this. If anyone is interested, but is a bit shy, please feel free to PM me. I'm not new to the concept, but I've never proposed it on a forum before.

Let me start the ball rolling....I'm very interested in anything written by Daniel Silva.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 6:39 am

well , shall give it a go
i dont have any by Daniel Silva. ...but I would be very interested to get some "Reacher " books by Lee Childs..or alec Cross series by James Patterson
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 9:52 am

I have books by both of them...I'll check and provide a list later on this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 4:12 pm

I had a rather rough 3 hrs in the dentist chair this afternoon, so book search was not completed...I'll get it sorted tomorrow.

Apologies.

...reading what I wrote above made me feel guilty. I shouldn't be such a wimp, so I had a quick check on my bedside table.

James Patterson novels...Kill Alex Cross

Alex Cross, Run

Cross Fire.

I'll be going up to the farm tomorrow...where my real library lives...and I know that I probably have more by him.

I also have works by Ken Follett, Wilbur Smith (almost complete collection), Nora Roberts, Kathy Reichs, Clive Cussler, Dan Brown and many others.

Actually, it might be easier if someone wanting a particular book just PMs me and I'll check. That will save me listing hundreds of books by title and author.

Now, I'm going to have a painkiller and a good lie down.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Updated list...

James Patterson novels.

Kill Alex Cross

Alex Cross, Run

Cross File

NYPD Red 2 (Alex Cross isn't featured, but a good read anyway)

Merry Christmas, Alex Cross.

.............................................................................................................................

Lee Childs novels.

Die Trying

Bad Luck and Trouble

The Visitor

The Enemy.

.............................................................................................................................

I hope there is something there you would like.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 3:59 pm

j have not got ant the above
any idea how muc ..going by weight , to ekont to me
but what on earth can i send you
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2016 4:37 pm

Regarding weight and freight cost, I have an Econt office about 100 yards up the street so I'll package them up and walk up and get a proper quote tomorrow morning. If you could PM me your delivery details and a contact phone number, that would be very helpful.

Hint:  I have found that having goods delivered to my nearest Econt office to be the best and cheapest way. You won't have to sit around waiting for the delivery driver, the office will phone or text you when they physically have the package and don't seem to worry about holding it for a day or so for you. Always worked very well for me, regardless of where my package was coming from...BG,  UK, USA or OZ.

To answer your last question...no idea. I'm just happy that someone else will get to enjoy them.

Books by interesting authors will always be welcome.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 8:19 am

morning
have double checked,,,,,i do have , Bad Luck and Trouble
but none of the others

who do you reard as "" interesting authors"",,,,,lol

hope your feeling better from your Dental experience
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 10:34 am

Hi

Econt quotes about 5 leva..delivered to one of their offices in Varna. Without an exact delivery address they can't be more precise.

Over to you.

Just had a quick check on their website and there appears to be 27 Econt offices in and around Varna.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 11:13 am

going to PM you now..thanks for checking
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This may interest the readers amongst us.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next