A step to far

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
therowfamily

A step to far Empty
PostSubject: A step to far   A step to far Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Human head transplant edges closer to reality: Chinese surgeon teams up with Italian doctor to perform controversial procedure in 2017

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sergio Canavero from Italy will partner with Chinese surgeon Ren Xiaoping
   Dr Xiaoping has performed some 1,000 head transplants on mice so far
   Duo will plan the head transplant procedure intended for Valery Spiridonov, a 30-year-old computer scientist who has muscular atrophy
   Spiridonov has previously told MailOnline he is ready to put his trust in the experts who claim they can cut off his head and attach it to a healthy body

So will this work? and what are the moral implications? Have we gone to far? and what kind on a monster are we going to create! I believe that we are now trying to play God and this is just the start of us as humans creating a new mankind. I wouldn't want to have anyone else's body attached to my head although my body doesn't look brilliant but its still mine!! What is going on in the world today? Looking back in time most of what we are achieving came from comics which we all read as children they were fictitious. The story of Frankenstein terrified, amazed and inspired people in many ways. Since the story was published in 1818 It has been retold over and over again by many generations who have put their own spin on the tale. The story was ahead of its time and showed us what might happen when science goes wrong. But of course this story is only fiction? Created by the imaginative mind of Mary Shelley. Or is it? either way in my opinion this is nothing more than an ABOMINATION!
Back to top Go down
bob
Junior user
Junior user
bob

A step to far Empty
PostSubject: Re: A step to far   A step to far Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 1:55 pm

This is all part on mans desire to live forever and to play god. I'm glad that I won't be around in 50 years time to witness the horrors we are going to unfold. This doctor is mad and simply looking to make a name for himself. This should be viewed as a violation of his Hippocratic oath. My understanding is that the attempts on animals so far can not truly be deemed "successful". And how often do heads die with bodies in tip-top shape? How long do such bodies remain viable? I suppose they will just use someone in a coma deemed brain dead. Now it's one thing to simply unplug someone on life support, but it's quite another to kill them by decapitation. I just don't think anything good will come of this.
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

A step to far Empty
PostSubject: Re: A step to far   A step to far Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 2:03 pm

But is it feasible to live forever, or much longer - probably no, because even as your body is getting older, science seems to reckon that brains slow down at the retirement era of life - the reasons for this vary, but what happens in some cases when they start to "go backwards" for example a person ends up with Alzheimer's? so where is the point? and yes I agree it a step to far, let nature take it course none of us should live beyond our natural life as far as I am concerned yes use a little common sense and help us live longer not not to this degree.
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

A step to far Empty
PostSubject: Re: A step to far   A step to far Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 2:16 pm

To me a more interesting question is if technology allowed us to live forever should we? The population would go out of control so we'd have to stop births so both birth and death would be abolished and evolution along with them. Is the replacement of evolution with our own tech, brain augmentation and the like inevitable and would this remove the need for birth and death anyway? Is it already starting to happen? What advantage does mental arithmetic give one in the age of pocket calculators?
Back to top Go down
bob
Junior user
Junior user
bob

A step to far Empty
PostSubject: Re: A step to far   A step to far Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 2:20 pm

They are always talking about this sort of thing only a couple of years a go the Russians were saying they would transplant a human brain into a robot body within 10 years and that was back in 2011 so anything is possible but should we be doing this? NO!

Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

A step to far Empty
PostSubject: Re: A step to far   A step to far Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 2:24 pm

I have always been thinking that someday the Russians would develop this concept and technology ie translating human intellectual capacity onto small super computer which basically annul the concept of death, depriving God of his most primary authority/function.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A step to far Empty
PostSubject: Re: A step to far   A step to far Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A step to far

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1