altText

What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 4:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

UK Nationals who live permanently in Bulgaria will qualify for health care costs.

Registration for medical care in Bulgaria

The form E121 will need to be completed which allows foreign authorities to register you for health care purposes under EC Regulations.

You can get the form E121 for yourself or additional forms for extra members of your family by asking the Bulgarian authority to apply for an application for a certificate of entitlement to benefit in kind. This is a form E107 and they will send to The Pension Service Medical Benefits Section in the UK.

Next you will need to

Send or take the forms to your nearest Sickness Insurance Office of the authority in Bulgaria. It is important that you have the forms registered straight away. This will make sure that your Medical Benefit cover starts straight away.

Do not under any circumstances fill out any part of the forms yourself!!

As you no longer live in the UK any form E111 or EHIC you may have which was issued in the UK cannot now be used. you will need the E121.

What the Bulgarian Authority must do

The Bulgarian authority will fill part B of both forms and send one copy back to the Pensions Service to let them know you and your dependants have been registered.

Once you have registered with the Bulgarian authority they will deal with any claim you make for a refund or help with medical costs.

What if you visit another EEA country (Not including the UK or Switzerland)

You must not use any form E111 or EHIC issued by the UK that you still hold, you will need to apply to the Bulgarian sickness authorities and ask them to issue you and any dependants with an EHIC.

If you return to the UK

Emergency Treatment: If you, or any of you dependants, want to come back to the UK on a visit you will only be entitled to NHS medical treatment if you become sick or have an accident during the visit.

Planned Treatment: If you, or any dependants, want to come back to the UK for specific NHS medical treatment you must ask at the office which registered your form E121 for a form E112. The office will decide then whether to issue you the E112 which entitles you to the right to have Sickness or Maternity Benefits currently being provided.

You must contact the hospital in the UK before your visit. You need to tell them you want to have treatment under the National Health Service.

Moving to another country

If you or any of your dependants come back to the UK or move to another country to live you must contact the Medical Service office know straight away giving full details.

Important Advice

The foreign sickness insurance authority will not usually register your for E121 until you have completed all the necessary formalities to become a resident in Bulgaria. The authority that grants residence permits will want to be sure that you have enough income to support yourself. This may take several months depending on your circumstances. In the meantime you will have to pay in full for any treatment you receive. You will not be covered for free or reduced cost health care by the UK until the form E121 has been registered.

Once you form E121 is registered, you may be able to obtain a refund of your past expenses from the foreign sickness insurance authority which have registered your form. But if they refuse? then the UK NHS will not refund the cost of any madical care you have had privately, either in the UK or abroad.

It's worth considering taking out private medical insurance to cover you until your form E121 is registered.

Any further information can be found by contacting the following..

The Pension Service
Tyneview Park
Medical Benefits
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE99 1BA
England
Telephone: 0044(0)218777
E-mail: [email:3ors28mb]internationalqueiries@thepensionservice.
gsi.
gov.
uk[/email:3ors28mb]
Website [url=http:
//www.
thepensionservice.
gov.
uk/:3ors28mb][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope you find this of some help? and feel free to update with more information
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com

AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 1:06 pm

So true Bigsavak. Unfortunately I am from the generation who did as they were told. I actually believed that telling the truth on forms was for my benefit. Believing this, I told the UK pensions people when I moved to Bulgaria and had my pension frozen until EU entry. It was a good job I didn't know where to get the health forms registered which has hopefully prevented them actually knowing I am still here. Hopefully, I am still on a UK doctor's list. Unfortunately, I have heard that you can be struck off both dentists and doctors lists if you don't visit regularly. How true this is I don't know. Its all very difficult to keep up when you have lived abroad a long time and even family do not always understand the complexities that arise when you leave the country permanently.
I have managed to keep a UK bank account where my pension is sent, so hopefully this will muddy the waters in a time of need. With the internet knowing every move you make, this may not be enough. I would urge anyone considering moving to Bulgaria to keep a UK bank account and have a pension paid in there because who knows what may happen in the future and to keep some sterling seems to be a safeguard.
Its possible to use finance companies like Currencies Direct to transfer large amounts much cheaper than a bank and small amounts can be brought over on a visit to family in UK. ATMs now cost the earth plus many banks will not send a card to Bulgaria when it needs renewing.
As for health issues, I feel that the British Government is letting old people down badly when they leave Britain. To penalise them with no choice about returning for health care in their home country is disgusting.
Not everyone with a home abroad is on the rich list, certainly not in Bulgaria. Even those with a big house here will soon find their finances dwindling as the years go by.
Back to top Go down
seven
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 9:22 am

here here oldun,

and the rest. By the way i was honest with my bank 'Barclays' and they set me up with an international account and know i'm here full time, they have been great.

I was also honest with my doctor and I just keep an old mobile phone with a UK pay as you go sim in it which is registered with the GP. I ask for a call back once a year which keeps me on the register.. :-) Fat lot of use that is, but there you go.

It made me want to laugh when I read that Bulgaria has a benefit agreement with the UK, which means those looking for work, or disbility benefit etc should be able to get benefits here..... What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 2381841692 What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 1865348797

I'd love to here from anyone that has managed THAT, doing it honestly.....
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 9:51 am

Seven it seems you and I are on the same page. We are all just pawns in the Government's game and that's why people are trying to get ahead of the 'game' any way they can.
Its naive to think that anyone cares anymore - the wartime spirit is gone forever - its each man for himself or am I just having a bad day? What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 927475117
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 9:57 am

Just re-read your post Seven. My bank too knows exactly where I am and have been very good but don't forget that the Govenment now insist that banks divulge their international accounts and I have had to fill in a form to this effect. I joked that I must be the poorest person in their system! Sorry, going a bit off topic here! s
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 12:53 pm

I guess in this day and age with big brother watching you go to the toilet nothing can be kept private from anyone anymore What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 927475117
Back to top Go down
seven
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 1:18 am

Thought I'd post this for a laugh on the NHIF site... Now if you are working they will bite your hand off to get the money from you, but try as I might I've not been able to get hold of one single person to help with this insurance since November!!! I will point out that most of my working bulgarian friends still pay into a private scheme as the NHIF doesn't seem to cover much that most people need it for i.e. perscriptions

(copied direct from the NHIF site)

Obligatory health insured with the National Health Insurance Fund are:

· All Bulgarian citizens who are not citizens of another state;

· Bulgarian citizens who are also citizens of another state and live permanently
within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria;

· Foreign citizens or people without citizenship who have been allowed a long-term
stay in the Republic of Bulgaria, unless otherwise provided by an international
agreement to which Bulgaria is a party;

· The people with granted refugee status, humanitarian status or with a granted
right to refuge.
Back to top Go down
moonraker

PostSubject: Health care for new expats   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:25 am

We have our EU health card: does this cover us for all health care when we relocate to BG? I am 62 and my wife is a few years younger.

Thanks

John
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

PostSubject: Re: Health care for new expats   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:45 am

Yes you are covered have a look here viewtopic.php?f=44&
t=736&
p=33691&
hilit=E121#p33691
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: Health care for new expats   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:50 am

It may vary from one region to another but basically you may need to pay first and them claim it back from the uk ? but as I said it will depend on where you are.
Back to top Go down
moonraker

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks for the info. Are prescriptions free after a certain age, like 60in UK?
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 1:34 pm

No not as far as I know you will still need to pay for them?
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 1:43 pm

This might help from the UK NHS site

Doctors

About 90% of doctors in Bulgaria are registered with the National Insurance Fund, however, you should always check before making an appointment. There is a small charge for seeing a doctor. This is non-refundable in Bulgaria but you may be able to seek reimbursement when you are back in the UK.

If you require medication, a doctor will usually issue you a receipt form (for non–chronic diseases) or a prescription (chronic illnesses).
Dentists

You should consult a dentists who has a contract with the National Health Insurance Fund. However, a patient contribution might be charged. You may be able to seek reimbursement for this when you are back in the UK. If the dentist does not have a contract with the National Health Insurance Fund, you will be charged the full cost of the treatment and those charges are not refundable.
Hospital treatment

Inpatient treatment is provided by public and private hospitals. However, you should ask to be referred to a hospital that has a contract with the National Health Insurance Fund, as they will cover the cost of treatment. After being discharged from hospital, you are entitled to maximum two examinations as part of your in-patient care.
Prescriptions

If you have been issued a receipt form you are able to get you medication for either free or at reduced costs. However, ensure you take the receipt form to a pharmacy that is registered with the National Health Insurance Fund otherwise, you will have to pay the full price.

If you have been issued a prescription you can visit any pharmacy in Bulgaria but you will have to pay the full cost. This is non-refundable in Bulgaria but you may be able to seek reimbursement when you are back in the UK.
Ambulance

Using an ambulance in cases of emergency is free.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Health care for new expats   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 1:48 pm

moonraker wrote:
We have our EU health card: does this cover us for all health care when we relocate to BG? I am 62 and my wife is a few years younger.

Thanks

John

john ...no

your EHIC is for holiday / emergency use only outside of the country of your normal residency....you need to fill in and send back an E106 if you are relocating to BG perminently

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... n-another/

then again once you reach pensionable age ..the goal posts change
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Once again Varnagirl - succinct and to the point. Prescriptions are not free in Bulgaria for me or my partner although I am a pensioner. I paid a small one- off fee to our village doctor and I have used the same prescription for the last 2 years without seeing him more than once since. My Hero's emergency, needing an ambulance and 10 days in hospital was not charged except for blood and his EHIC card sufficed for this plus so-called 'Residency' card.
The whole medical system in Bulgaria is totally different to UK but adequate. There is little palleative aftercare and people are discharged from hospital as soon as possible. No appointment system, you arrive early and queue. Reciprocal health issues are only refundable in Britain if you are registered with a Bulgarian registered doctor. If you do register as a pensioner on the Bulgarian health system you will immediately be wiped off the system in Britain and your medical notes sent to your council offices so not much point in doing it.
If you have serious health issues before arriving in Bulgaria I wouldn't advise relocating unless you can afford BUPA or other high cost private insurance or are willing to take your chances. s
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 10:27 am

I have a friend who did exactly that oldun they registered with a doctor in Bulgaria and as you say they were removed from the UK register and when she went back she had to jump through hoops to try and get some help with a problem she had, at first no one would see here because she had been signed off in the UK but eventually she was seen but what a load of heartache she had to go through just to get registered with a doctor again in England s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria   What Medical Cover for Brits in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next