HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers? Empty
PostSubject: Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers?   Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 8:52 am

[size=55:3vz3zzqc][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

One third of all complaints lodged at the European Consumer Centre in Sofia are connected with online shopping, followed by transportation and hotels. If we don’t know our rights as European consumers it is very easy to find ourselves in a situation that will cost us money but also a lot of nerves. There are consumer centres in every EU country, plus Iceland and Norway. It is them we should address if we think our rights have been breached and we can do that in any country of the EU. But do we know what we should do in such cases?

A problem may arise even with… curling irons purchased online. “We have had many interesting cases,” says Ignat Arsenov, Director of the European Consumer Centre in Sofia. Eighty percent of all complaints are lodged at the Centre by Bulgarian nationals, who have a problem with foreign dealers;
the rest are by foreign nationals against Bulgarian tradesmen.

“One case in point is that of a Bulgarian consumer who decided to buy curling irons from a Romanian dealer online,” Arsenov says. “But once the irons were plugged in, they hardly heated up. The dealer refused to accept the commodity back for reasons of hygiene. We intervened and the woman returned the curling irons and was refunded. She was entitled to her money back within seven days. There was another case we handled – a Bulgarian consumer bought electrical appliances for his kitchen from a Polish dealer online. Upon delivery it transpired they were not exactly what he had expected. They fitted the description but he had got it wrong and they did not fit his kitchen. He wanted his money back but didn’t want to return the appliances for fear of being left without both. We advised him that there was no way he could get his money refunded if he did not return the goods within seven days. After negotiations with the dealer, the consumer returned the appliances and got his money back.”

There are quite a few complaints at the European Consumer Centre, connected with delayed or cancelled flights, damaged or lost luggage. Quick reaction and contacts with the airports’ complaints desk are a must – that is where lost luggage protocols are issued. If the luggage is not found within 21 days it is considered lost and the passenger must claim damages. If a flight is delayed, Ignat Arsenov says, consumers are entitled to two telephone calls free of charge. If the flight delay is more than two hours the airline company is obliged to provide hotel accommodation and consumers are entitled to an overnight stay, says Arsenov and adds:

“The airline company must redirect when the flight has been cancelled or when access to boarding the aircraft has been denied. Passengers must be offered another convenient flight, e.g. using another airline company whose flight is two hours later or on the following day. All this costs consumers nothing. If the passenger in question does not wish to fly on the next day or the day after, he or she can refuse the flight and get a refund. In such cases and under given circumstances consumers are entitled to compensations amounting to 250 to 600 euros, depending on the flight destination and the length of delay. Compensation is not due in two instances: first when the airline company has informed passengers 14 days prior to the flight and second, when the flight is delayed for objective reasons but not if the responsibility lies with the airline company – for example bad weather conditions, flight bans, strikes etc.”

Foreign citizens complain most often of the quality of the service offered when they are on holiday in Bulgaria – of the hotel conveniences, the hygiene or the services being below standard. Or in cases when a price higher than that when the booking was made is being demanded. Sometimes there may be a catch, Ignat Arsenov adds. There are cases of duplicate payment – the sums are withdrawn from the credit card once even though the consumer wants cash payment. The European Consumer Centre in Sofia is currently looking into a complaint lodged by a Latvian citizen who bought herb remedy products from a Bulgarian dealer. She paid using a credit card but never got the products.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers?   Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 5:39 pm

I think my locals are more European than I am Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers? 2345823347
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers?   Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 8:45 am

I do find the electrical retailing sector is more of a throw away society than a lot of other countries. Turkey for example, will repair anything, there are shops with secondhand spare parts for Hoovers and most electrical items hanging on hooks outside shops. Here in BG it appears to to us that finding someone who will repair anything much more difficult.
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers?   Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 8:18 pm

while I was in BG a few weeks ago I went into a small mall in VT don't know exactly where but it said techmarket I think, anyway seen a car radio for 59lev great value so I thought I will buy 3 for my work wagons back home, I asked for them then it took 20 minutes in the shop with form filling for the guarantee then got too the till she checked to see that the paperwork was correct and the security guard who watched all this then went though the same process, and I was wondering why the shop was empty. but I have to say the service was friendly and very interesting I know if I was still married to my ex she would have insisted that we just leave I am glad I did not because the radios were good and when I got them home they worked out at £28.00 each
Back to top Go down
http://www.askbuck.com/.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers?   Have Bulgarians become more European as consumers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1