Extension ladders

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Is anyone any good with using big ladders....

Ive bought a 12m extension ladder to get up to the top of the walls,but how on earth are you supposed to get it up the walls!, is there a `proper` way?

Looking on the internet the only info I can find is on ones with rope pulley systems, this doesnt have one ( im seriously thinking of adding one! )

Its in 3 pieces, ive put 2 together and put it one end against a lump of wood , lifted it at the other end and walked along lifting it from underneath, this seems to work for 2 bits of ladder , but will it work for 3 bits? seems a bit long! , I havent tried as im thinking its going to smack me over the head or fall into bits as I lift it up?

Is it possible to lift up 12M like this, or is my plan 2 a better idea...set it up, tie it together so it cant fall apart and pull it up through the loft window?

Or.....plan 3 and put a rope system on it, possibly a better idea?
Back to top Go down
http://www.my-bulgarian-house-renovation.com
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Try this

Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm

hi will
I started cleaning using ladders from 15 many moons ago now heading into the old farts club but if you listen to my kids they will say am there

anyway
put all sections together up against the wall put your foot on the first rung lifting section 3 up to the max which should be no more than 3 rungs from the top any higher the ladder will bend and not be safe, then follow the same for section 2 if you want tie some cloth to the top of each side or even use 2 plastic water/juice bottles to take down stand on the middle ladder and lift and slowly drop down, when carrying the ladder do not put you arm in between the ladder as if it twists it can and probably will break your arm lean it on your shoulder also don't setup the ladder on the ground and lift because if you do the bottom rungs jump out and the top end hits you on the head, you only do that once in fact 35 years on still have the lumps on my head.

best of luck if you want me to try and break down further I will do my best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.askbuck.com/.
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks,

I didnt think of actually pushing it up while against the wall,I didnt think it was possible but seems an easier way than other ways of lifting

The other walking under it method just seems like a weight lifting challenge with 12m of it about to land on your head , once more of the ladder is behind you it just sounds dangerous

I will have a go in the morning.... once i have found somewhere to tie the top of it to stop it falling over, even at the correct angle I dont trust it till ive been up there a few times and got used to it, I have a stake to hold it down and stop it moving as well
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 10:06 am

JUST MAKE VERY SURE THAT THE LADDER IS AT THE CORRECT ANGLE
to the side of a CE approved ladder you will see an angle line and that is ware it should be.
hope ive been able to help.
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 10:39 am

I have cheated, I have a little clip on bubble thingamy that gives the correct angle , I checked its angle as well being made in china, the one thing I dont want is to fall of the ladder , even if the man over the road is a doctor....but I dont think a doctor would help much falling from all the way up there

I fly paragliders so I know how much it hurts to fall from the sky ( a lot slower than falling from a ladder... ) and hit the floor when something goes wrong !

Im even tempted to tie myself to the upstairs of the house once im there , like when climbing.
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 10:47 am

you never said you did paragliding, that makes it a lot easier, forget the ladder, get 2 cans of paint do a past over your house and throw the paint that way you can say oh like my paint job its so artistic, who knows you might even win an award from an arty farty group.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 3:51 pm

A ladder of this length is never going to be safe if fully extended. It would make more sense to use staging. But if you are to continue then the ladder must be secured top and bottom to prevent movement. If you cannot secure it don't use it. You will also suffer from 'whip' this is where the ladder will bounce as you ascend and descend. When climbing a ladder always use the rungs to hold onto never the sides, don't wear rings or watches or jewelry of any sort. Many a person has lost fingers whilst using ladders. A harness to hold you when working is also a good idea. Better still let someone else go up it. Extension ladders 1865348797
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 4:13 pm

I am planning on a scaffolding tower as some work needs doing to the rendering on the end wall , I found them in Baumax last year, but for now its a ladder for general fixing of bits and pieces

I have just been up it extended nearly fully I had it overlapped by 4 rung gaps, they say 3 but im not tall enough to do that easily

Its not so wobbly as I bought a heavy duty one , I borrowed one about 5m long last summer and tried it against the house...... at that point I decided I was never going up a ladder again!, it bounced as I walked up it , the rungs were very round on the top and hurt your feet after a short time , this feels much safer

This one has wide flat rungs and is generally much bigger, the one I borrowed was bought in Bulgaria and although it worked....it felt dangerous!, this one even though higher feels safer as it doesnt wobble and bounce , I bought this from ebay in the UK so I could complain about it easier if it was rubbish but it seems fine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Extension ladders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extension ladders   Extension ladders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extension ladders

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Property Renovations & tips-