View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Looking for info on rotovator/cultivator/tillers from anyone out there who works their own land. Our patch isn't huge, about a third of an acre, which has been ploughed ready for winter. But we would like to do away with the ploughing as the plot is so small and Angel's tractor is quite large. which compacts the soil as he tries to move it about (he is our fantastic neighbour's son in law so using someone else would offend)

As we know less than nothing about these machines or even which one would do the job without spending out on one which would be more suited to two acres. But the plot is a bit large for Dave to do by hand all the time. We are wanting to divide areas into beds with grass paths between, so it is easier to work out rotation and work in muck etc without feeling overwhelmed.

So we need to know the type of machine, what engine capacity, diesel or petrol, makes which are ok/to avoid, and where the best place is to get one without being ripped off. That's all. g

Simple language please, idiot with machines here.

Thanks, Sara
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 4:20 pm

We have looked at the question of obtaining a rotavator and new one's here in BG are not cheap. Buying off season on Ebay appears to be the best for us, Merry Tiller is the top of the range and second hand are still a high price unless you keep a keen eye in what is for sale.

Annemarie would be more than happy to bring it back from the UK for us at a reasonable transportation price and the total cost is still well below buying new over here.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 pm

I have a Gardenia, 7.5hp, self propelled which makes easy work of our garden (about the same size as yours Sara). I've had it six years now and it has never given any trouble..starts on second pull, even after sitting for six months, and so easy to use that Mrs Bazz has a go every now and then. Our soil is very heavy like yours but tilling down to 18"
is easy.

They sell here for around the 800 leva mark, but if you go to one of the agricultural fairs they can be picked up a fair bit cheaper..especially if you go on the very last day..they don't want the fuss of having to take them away again.

There are many different brands and styles here in BG and they are readily available, as are spare parts.

I'll pop you a PM in a moment.
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 7:11 am

We use our donkey Vessa with a plough our neighbours gave us. Great fun! g
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 7:19 am

The old chap across the creek from me does the same.................I've learnt a lot of unsavoury language listening to him plough!!!
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 8:09 am

Scunnered wrote:

Don't tempt me! Dave is finding it more and more difficult keeping me away from the animal market at Polski Trambesh where equines are much in evidence....

A more sensible option would be a pig to use all the surplus veggies and sell offspring as weaners (I think that's what they call growing piglets) Can't see him eating one himself though! We could move it about the garden to do the ploughing and fertilising, we have bought electric fencing with us.................................

Sara
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 8:25 am

Go for it Sara! We tether Vessa to various places outside our garden, but the next project is to fence off a bit of ground for her.
We also use her and her carutsa to gather the hay for winter. She really enjoys working. Probably cheaper than a rotovator too! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 11:26 am

Equinus wrote:
Scunnered wrote:

Don't tempt me! Dave is finding it more and more difficult keeping me away from the animal market at Polski Trambesh where equines are much in evidence....

A more sensible option would be a pig to use all the surplus veggies and sell offspring as weaners (I think that's what they call growing piglets) Can't see him eating one himself though! We could move it about the garden to do the ploughing and fertilising, we have bought electric fencing with us.................................

Sara

Now I could always tether Sara to a plough!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dave
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 12:26 pm

I think you'll be in big trouble now, Dave! Rotovator? 3998065313
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Scunnered wrote:
I think you'll be in big trouble now, Dave! Rotovator? 3998065313

You could be right, I've just seen this. Off to crack the whip! Rotovator? 1865348797

Sara
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rotovator? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rotovator?   Rotovator? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rotovator?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: How does your Garden grow?-