Plant Nurseries and Garden centres

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kazbegi
Junior user
Junior user

Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Empty
PostSubject: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 8:47 am

Hi everyone

So far, in my quest to locate a decent plant nursery / garden centre I have only managed to find a small selection of not very inspiring plants at a B&
Q type outlet. I just wondered if it was possible to find a good selection of plants for sale or is it just the wrong time of year. I am a keen gardener and I would like to know what I am up against when trying to find interesting foliage for the garden. If anyone can advise where I can get a good selection I would be grateful. I will be based around the VT area but would travel if it was worth it.

Also, does anyone know if it is ok to bring plants in from the UK?
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 8:53 am

Hi Kazbegi

For some reason this topic appeared twice, so I've moved the other one into the Bin.

Chris Plant Nurseries and Garden centres 1536469901
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 8:59 am

Most plants are fine to bring from the UK as long as they are for personal use, ive taken loads over

Buying plants in BG the DIY shops like Baumax have lots of seeds, bulbs etc , the rest of the plants were very limited

For other plants I bought some from the Plovdiv palm center , they also have a gardening forum with good info on things like Kiwi and Pomegranite growing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ive been told the best place for fruit trees is the local markets
Back to top Go down
http://www.my-bulgarian-house-renovation.com
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 9:12 am

will666 wrote:
Ive been told the best place for fruit trees is the local markets

Sliven market always has a lot of fruit trees for sale and various other bedding plants, vegetables, etc.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 10:40 am

There are plenty of markets in the VT area. Within half an hour we have three good markets where you can buy plants. But you need to bear in mind that a lot are sold seasonally, unlike the UK where they will sell you anything any time of the year. However, I go To Polski Trambesh market regularly and one stall in particular has the sorts of plants you are talking about. But don't expect huge stocks of plants, though they will no doubt be able to get you what you want. Th eother way of getting hold of plants is to ask any ex-pats living close who may be keen to swap. There are a couple of small garden centres, but not as we know them in the UK.

Bear in mind that anything which cannot stand hot, dry conditions will struggle unless you pay great attention to site and watering. All water is metred unless you have a well.

I am learning an awful lot by trial and error, and have found that certain things which are easy to grow in the UK with the wetter climate are useless here, and others you have to nurture into sizeable plants before planting out. Compost is not cheap.

Although we don't struggle hugely with slugs, the snails are huge (and edible if you like slimy rubbery things Plant Nurseries and Garden centres 1865348797) But to be fair they don't seem to do huge damage. Ants tunnel under plants damaging roots, and being so warm flea beetle are busy. There is Colorado beetle here too which can do serious damage to your taters in a blink of an eye. If you are planning on moving to a village you will no doubt be 'adopted' by a local who will be keen to show you how things are done here in the veg garden, which is not how we do things in the UK.

Hope this helps a bit.I am loving the challenge.

Sara
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 10:57 am

Equinus wrote:
Compost is not cheap.

But donkey and horse droppings are plentiful and easy to get hold of! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 11:03 am

Chris wrote:
Equinus wrote:
Compost is not cheap.

But donkey and horse droppings are plentiful and easy to get hold of! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Plant Nurseries and Garden centres 1865348797 Plant Nurseries and Garden centres 1865348797 Plant Nurseries and Garden centres 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Kazbegi
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for the info and advise. I did have concerns for the extremes in climate but am pleased to know that you are all managing to adapt and overcome. It will be an interesting challenge especially as I also plan to grow a lot of veg. Will also look out for a local source of donkey poo!
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Find it strange you can't find nurseries in VT and area. Forget the big supermarkets. For starters there is the VT Bazaar right in the centre of town where there are shops for all things to do with garden or pets and plants of all kinds. On the way out of VT south to Varna there is a big nursery on the right at Sheremetya and then there is at least one on the Gorna Oryhavitsa road on the left. There is another new nursery I have spotted from the village bus as you enter VT from Varna on the right hand side where the tyre shops are. Need I go on? As for compost, if you are in a village there is always someone who with animals who will provide compost for next to nothing - chicken, goat or horse. Everything is availabe in the veggie department because all the villagers grow their own for obvious reasons so good luck and enjoy the Bulgarian experience and forget everything British. Integrate with your villagers. You will enjoy life better that way. g
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Don't know anything about VT Oldun, I hate towns and cities and go under protest, so thanks for that. As we are still new here I can only mention what I know as a Newbie who tries to spend money as locally as I possibly can. I didn't mention the one near Gorna specifically as I have no idea on the exact area we are looking at. As things are so quiet on here recently I am trying to help if I possibly can instead of leaving a new member hanging....

By compost I mean for sowing and potting. I have found our soil fuses like clay when wet, no good for starting seeds and adding muck would not work, too much richness makes for tall, leggy plants. This is what I have found this year. I have my own compost heaps which will be ready next year, but as a newbie this year I had fail after fail, partly because it was summer and hot when we arrived, and partly the soil. As soon as I tried compost in trays for my seeds we were away and now have the most beautiful brassica and leek patch. Meanwhile, muck is on order for the growing beds. We have wonderful neighbours who have helped us this year and made us very welcome. They are doing their best to help us with our Bulgarian (they speak no English) and show us the way Bulgarians do it. We are very lucky, not everyone is.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 9:43 am

Sorry to our new members! I didn't realise Kaz had only just arrived or about to. It takes a while to discover where things are and often you have to venture into town as villages don't have many amenities. I just hate any kind of supermarket and with no car anyway, we spent many enjoyable hours looking at various shops and finding where things were. 9 years ago there was much less than nowadays. Having said this, I can suggest that potting compost can be found in the VT bazaar. Around the fruit, veg and plant stalls there are shops selling everything from clothes to compost. If you walk into the bazaar from the zebra crossing (the one with lights at the bottom of Bulgaria Boulevard) and walk through until you come to about 3 steps up to the shop level. On the left is a small pet shop and a larger pet shop which sells vet stuff too. On the right just opposite this shop there is a popular garden shop which also sells plastic, rubber shoes etc besides bulbs etc and compost! Over time you will discover other shops in this area that cuts keys, sells everything to do with bees, rat poison, traps etc so no need to go much further although there are other outlets elsewhere as I mentioned. Remember that all agricultural plants and veg will be seasonal. Little is imported and if it is it will be more expensive.
Hope this helps. Oh, there is a garage under the bazaar leading to the CBA supermarket although if you drive up the road past the taxi rank there are more free parking spaces on the side of the road. Eclipse vet practice is also in this area and I can recommend them. They are very caring and gentle with the animals and speak English. Xera loves them even though they always have to jab her when they visit! Yes, they also do home visits at reasonable cost.
Reading this I am sad again to be leaving but needs must and good luck to all you newbies. Enjoy Bulgarian life. s
Back to top Go down
Kazbegi
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks Oldun.
Yes I am a newbie or hopefully about to be. Your advice is reassuring that things can be found it just takes time to find out where. When you drive through towns it is not immediately obvious where things are. It will just take time to get to know the area.

You say that you are about to leave. I hope that's not a permanent arrangement but if so then good luck. T
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 am

Kazbegi wrote:
Hi everyone

So far, in my quest to locate a decent plant nursery / garden centre I have only managed to find a small selection of not very inspiring plants at a B&
Q type outlet. I just wondered if it was possible to find a good selection of plants for sale or is it just the wrong time of year. I am a keen gardener and I would like to know what I am up against when trying to find interesting foliage for the garden. If anyone can advise where I can get a good selection I would be grateful. I will be based around the VT area but would travel if it was worth it.

Also, does anyone know if it is ok to bring plants in from the UK?

Hi Kazbergi

Maybe you can find something on here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... s/BULGARIA and also [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... eries.html

Not many on the internet Hope you get sorted. g
Back to top Go down
mbco
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 10:53 am

I believe there is a garden centre opening next year in Elhovo next spring, i can keep you updated if I find out any more information on it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mbcofoodstores.com
Kazbegi
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 2:52 pm

Yes please. I don't mind travelling if it's got a decent selection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plant Nurseries and Garden centres   Plant Nurseries and Garden centres Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plant Nurseries and Garden centres

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next