View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 12:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

We are confused!

I have been searching and asking about winter tyres. I know cars are supposed to have them fitted, but we have a 4x4 Nissan X-trail, and this is where I am confused. Some people/on-line information says you don't have to have winter tyres on a 4x4, others say you do. Asking in the village we just get "
we never have, you don't need to bother"
, neighbours don't drive so they don't know. Anyone know for definite...in simple terms? We like to be within the law, something that doesn't seem to bother a lot of ex-pats around here.

Also snow chains, I believe there is no law to say you should have them, but does anyone have them and are they easy to use?

Thanks, Sara
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 11:12 am

I've been looking in to this. I think if it's a 4x4 you just need to have good tread, but it sounds as if your's are winter tyres anyway, you should be able to find out. They aren't mandatory so as long as you have good tyres you should be OK. We didn't get chains for the same reason as you, but have tyre socks.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... -tyre-laws
Not sure how you would go on about travelling through other countries with their different regulations.
You should be able to find a manual on line for your car, you can with most things. Worth a look.

Sara
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Equinus wrote:
I've been looking in to this. I think if it's a 4x4 you just need to have good tread, but it sounds as if your's are winter tyres anyway, you should be able to find out. They aren't mandatory so as long as you have good tyres you should be OK. We didn't get chains for the same reason as you, but have tyre socks.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... -tyre-laws
Not sure how you would go on about travelling through other countries with their different regulations.
You should be able to find a manual on line for your car, you can with most things. Worth a look.

Sara

I believe it depends on who stops you to inspect the vehicle and how they interpret the law, the same applied with cars in Turkey for other reasons. We bought snow chains for ours in Praktiker for less than 30 nb.
Back to top Go down
Nikolay
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 8:19 am

Don't forget folks, 1st November all vehicles in Bulgaria, must by law be fitted with winter tires g
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 8:37 am

Nikolay wrote:
Don't forget folks, 1st November all vehicles in Bulgaria, must by law be fitted with winter tires g

sorry ...but not true
Back to top Go down
Nikolay
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 8:39 am

Sorry VG I was led to Believe it was the law here in Bulgaria Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 927475117
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 8:46 am

According to the AA it is look at the pdf

Bulgaria (South East Europe)
Touring Tips

© Automobile Association Developments Limited 2015. Use of this and any other material contained in this website is
governed by its Terms and Conditions. Website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This information should be read in conjunction with our general advice for motoring in Europe.

Driving licence: Minimum age at which a UK driving licence holder may drive a temporarily
imported car and / or motorcycle 18 is. An International Driving Permit (IDP) is compulsory for
licences that do not incorporate a photo.

Motor insurance: Third party insurance compulsory. Green Cards are recognised.

Fuel: Leaded petrol is no longer available. Unleaded petrol (95 and 98 octane), diesel and LPG are
available. Credit cards accepted at most filling stations but not all local stations in small towns
accept international cards; check with your card issuer for usage in Bulgaria before travel.
Importation of fuel in a spare can permitted, maximum 10 litres.

Speed limits: Standard legal limits, which may be varied by signs, for private vehicles without
trailers. In built-up areas: 31 mph (50 km/h), outside built-up areas: 55 mph (90 km/h) and
motorways: 80 mph (130 km/h). Maximum speed limit with snow chains is 31mph (50 km/h).

Seat belts: Compulsory for front and rear seat occupants to wear seat belts.

Passengers/children in cars: Children under the age of 3 may not be transported in vehicles not
fitted with child restraints. Children aged 3 or over, measuring less than 150cm may travel in a
vehicle without restraints but they must occupy a rear seat.

Lights: The use of dipped headlights during daylight hours is compulsory.

Motorcycles: Wearing of crash helmets compulsory for both driver and passenger. Motorcyclists
must have their lights on at all times.

Drinking and driving: If the level of alcohol in the bloodstream is 0.05 per cent or more the driver
will be prosecuted and receive a fine and driving suspension. The police carry out random breath
tests. If the test is positive, the driver will be required to undergo a blood test carried out by a
hospital doctor. The police can test drivers for the use of drugs at the roadside.

Fines: On-the-spot. An official receipt should be obtained. Wheel clamps are in use for illegally
parked cars. Vehicles causing an obstruction will be towed away.

Compulsory equipment in Bulgaria:

 Fire extinguisher – not required for two wheeled vehicles
 First-aid kit
 Warning triangle - not required for two wheeled vehicles
 Reflective jackets - the wearing of a reflective jacket is compulsory for any person who has
to step on to the road/carriageway, day or night in case of breakdown or emergency on a
motorway. This regulation also applies to motorcyclists.
 Snow chains – must be carried from 1 November until 1 March and used when the relevant
road sign is displayed.

Bulgaria (South East Europe)
Touring Tips

© Automobile Association Developments Limited 2015. Use of this and any other material contained in this website is
governed by its Terms and Conditions. Website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Other rules/requirements Bulgaria:

Winter tyres are compulsory for vehicles registered in Bulgaria during wintry road conditions.
Though not compulsory for vehicles registered outside of Bulgaria, they are strongly recommended.
Spiked tyres are forbidden.

In built-up areas it is prohibited to use the horn between 22:00 and 06:00 (09:00 on public
holidays), and between 12:00 and 16:00.

Visiting motorists are required to purchase a 'vignette' (road tax). The vignette is available at the
border, most petrol stations and offices of the CI and DZI Bank, for periods of one week, a month or
a year. Heavy fines are imposed for non-compliance.

Drivers of luxury or 4 x 4 vehicles are advised to use guarded car parks.

A GPS based navigation system which has maps indicating the location of fixed speed cameras must
have the ‘fixed speed camera PoI (Points of Interest)’ function deactivated. The use of radar
detectors is prohibited.

In one way streets parking is on the left only.
January 2015

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 8:46 am

dont apologise...but
this has been debated for so many years on lots of forums
there are some roads where it is mandatory....and it makes sense to have them if its possible...but not law...yet anyway.....  :)

thats the AA blink...not Bulgaria
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 8:59 am

I know it's the AA but I generally use them as a good guide but I do stand corrected Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 1536469901
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 9:11 am

T Blink always good to have a guideline Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 3356871870
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 6:59 am

Just add to the guidelines.. below extract from the BG Road Traffic act.

Regarding the legal requirement: such are regulated by the Road Traffic Act of Bulgaria (ЗАКОН ЗА ДВИЖЕНИЕТО ПО ПЪТИЩАТА).

There is no specific text that says anything about winter and n-winter tires but in the Chapter 7 of this act is says:
Article 183. 4) A fine of BGN 50 shall be imposed on a driver who:
1. (repealed, SG No. 60/2012, effective 7.08.2012);
2. is improperly driving by a stop for vehicles for public transportation of passengers or by a stopping or a stopped bus;
3. (repealed, SG No. 60/2012, effective 7.08.2012);
4. is driving a non-motor vehicle which does not have the necessary light reflective elements;
5. is driving a vehicle with worn out or torn tires;
6. is using a mobile phone when driving if a device which allows the use of the phone without using hands is not available;
7. is not obeying the mandatory usage of a seat belt or helmet;
8. is improperly idling or parking in the area of a pedestrian crossing, a passenger public transportation stop, or an intersection;
9. is idling or parking, as a second line on an active traffic lane, next to motor vehicles stopped in the traffic direction;
10. (new, SG No. 51/2007) transports children in violation of the requirements of Chapter Two, Section XXV;
11. (new, SG No. 88/2008) is driving a vehicle with unreadable or obscured in whatever manner registration plates, including in violation of Article 100, Paragraph 4, Point 1;
12. (new, SG No. 10/2011) is driving a motor vehicle in a traffic lane, signalled as designated for the traffic of regular public passenger vehicle lines alone without the right to do so.

According to the same Act the relevant part of the EU legislation is COUNCIL DIRECTIVE of 18 July 1989 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the tread depth of tyres of certain categories of motor vehicles and their trailers (89/459/EEC) where it is said:
Article 1. Member States shall take all necessary steps to ensure that, throughout their service life on the road, tyres for category M1, N1, 01 and 02 vehicles as defined in Annex I to Council Directive 70/156/EEC of 6 February 1970 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers (6), as last amended by Directive 87/403/EEC (7), have a tread depth in the main grooves of the tread surface of at least 1,6 mm.
´Main grooves' means the broad grooves in the central part of the tread surface, which covers about three-quarters of the width of the tread surface.

It means that the minimum legal depth of the main grooves is 1.6 mm. At the same time ‘unofficial’ requirement of the Traffic police is 2 mm (or 4 mm or 5 mm) although there is no legal document with such measures

I know that it is quite confusing, but, hey, it’s Bulgaria))) Think more personal safety than legal requirement???
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 9:58 am

T Bill Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 3356871870
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 5:07 pm

There was a news story linked on facebook ( on one of the many BG groups with almost identical names....) somewhere last week....., could have been on Novinite....not sure...

It seemed to say ........,up till now not legal requirement but the Bulgarian govemnet have just ammended the road trafic act and from this November from the 1st all cars need winter tyres fitted by law and they will be fining people for not fitting them!

Edit> Just did a search for ЗИМНИ ГУМИ станат задължителни

and found loads about it...not sure if law yet....but does sound like it could be soon and made to sound like it is now, who knows!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by will666 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.my-bulgarian-house-renovation.com
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 5:27 pm

I learnt very early on (10 years ago) that the trick is to buy and fit all weather tyres with the M+S classification...saves fiddling around with two sets of tyres!
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi Will66
Thanks for the update, and taking to the time to verify, and so the 'confusion' continues.. key words

1. The requirement is part of the package of changes to the rules of the road, which soon to be adopted by lawmakers - so not yet implemented?

2. So far only recommend tire replacement, but soon and sanctioned.

I suppose the definitive answer will come when a forum member can actually report that they were stopped/checked/advised or prosecuted....

JustBazz- Tend to agree

A case of watch this space???

Bill

Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 8:48 pm

The Plod in different parts of this country are notorious for having their own interpretations of various laws, rules etc....what has happened to me, may not be what has happened to others.

When I owned the Jeep Cherokee (which is now owned by Berni and Dougie) it was fitted with quite chunky BFG tires which are classed as 'all terrain, all weather' and they performed very well, if a little noisy on a dry, smooth surface. I was lucky enough to be offered a set of wheels from an identical model Jeep and I had them fitted with Goodyear Wrangler, all season tires. My close friend, who is member of the local Highway Patrol (Plod) was amazed...why did I spend all that extra money??? Either brand of tire was legal.
A lesson was learnt here...my Nissan Patrol was fitted with Michelin 'all weather' tires and despite having been pulled over and checked on numerous occasions...has passed every time.

Snow chains are a permanent component in the boot of my wifes little Toyota Yaris...to comply with the law during winter...she doesn't have to fit them; only carry them!!

More than 50 shades of grey in this area!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter tyres/chains   Winter tyres/chains - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter tyres/chains

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next