View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Not sure where to post this. Please move if necessary. Ta.

We are looking for 3 to 5 point of lay/laying hens in the VT area. We don't know our way around yet, but if anyone knows where I might get some could they please let me know?

Thanks.

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 6:26 pm

How soon do you want them? My wife has a bunch of almost ready POLs now and is happy to donate 3 or 4, as a welcome gift..your choice of barred Plymouth rock/Black Orpington cross or barred Plymouth/white Brahma cross..do you want birds for eggs or the table?

I will be coming up your way shortly to visit with Itchty and his wife, so can deliver, given a bit of notice.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:36 am

Bazz, that is incredibly kind of you. We are looking for layers as Dave is planning to go into utility pure bred as a project, so there will be my 'house' chooks (read pets) and he will breed his own table birds eventually, I don't eat meat. The chicken shed is secure and we have moveable electric chook fencing so they can help keep the weeds down....if ever we get them under control.

We are trying to keep away from Venka at the moment as we both have this awful lurgy, but as soon as we feel better we will try to find out where to get layers feed and shavings (or something) locally. Perch and boxes and done! And Bella dog will be so happy.

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Isnt there a weekly market up your way that sells livestock? I seem to remember reading it was on Wednesdays..???
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 12:58 pm

expatinchina wrote:
Isnt there a weekly market up your way that sells livestock? I seem to remember reading it was on Wednesdays..???
There is indeed and we plan to go first thing tomorrow to see what's what. But we have been advised to be careful about buying chooks at these markets as there is no way of knowing how they were raised and what they may be carrying. I would much rather know where they are coming from.We are surrounded by chickens and I would be mortified if we brought home diseased stock and passed it on. We were going to ask Venka to come, but after comments about giving people lifts and then not being able to find them when you want to go, we have decided to go alone this time as we have to get back in case our stuff comes early. We did a recce to the town the other day and found where it is held, but whether we will be able to park close is another thing. We will let you know.

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Before we got our first lot of chooks, about 5 years ago, we had a chat with our local vet and he gave us two lots of 'stuff'..one to put in the drinking water and the other to give them a bath in. Chooks arrived, got a dunking in a large bucket and set out in the yard to dry, when all done the solution was sprayed in and around their perch, laying box area. Sounds a bit dramatic, but we've done it ever since and seems to work..happy, healthy birds which produce a goodly number of eggs. The automatic drinking water system gets a top up with the medicine each time it is shut off and cleaned.
Back to top Go down
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Equinus wrote:
expatinchina wrote:
There is indeed and we plan to go first thing tomorrow to see what's what. But we have been advised to be careful about buying chooks at these markets as there is no way of knowing how they were raised and what they may be carrying. I would much rather know where they are coming from.We are surrounded by chickens and I would be mortified if we brought home diseased stock and passed it on. We were going to ask Venka to come, but after comments about giving people lifts and then not being able to find them when you want to go, we have decided to go alone this time as we have to get back in case our stuff comes early. We did a recce to the town the other day and found where it is held, but whether we will be able to park close is another thing. We will let you know.

Mrs Eq

I totally hear you.

Do let us know how it goes at the market - I will be interested to hear your thoughts on range/availability and general level of health.

So you coop is all set to go I presume? Are you going to tractor them? I'm excited for you!
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:21 am

Hi Expatchina - went to market at P.Trambesh market although it is advertised as having livestock and produce stalls, the only stalls were couple of fishing tackle and hardware stalls and the rest were clothes stalls.

Mr Eq
Back to top Go down
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 11:19 am

Oh that is a shame (she says as she logs the info for later use) ... so its back to who you know then. Fingers crossed you find what you are looking for soon!

Hope you and Mr Eq are feeling better - or that you have enough meds to tide you over these next coming days.
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Try Gorna Oryahovitsa market on a Friday. There is a fruit/vegetable market, bric-a-brac, (like a car boot really!) and the hens, ducks, etc are at the very far end. Just ask someone for the "
kokoshki"
. Not sure of spelling, but it sounds like that! s
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 3:22 pm

That's exactly as it's said..you can also use pilet (pill ay) to get the message across.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Scunnered wrote:
Try Gorna Oryahovitsa market on a Friday. There is a fruit/vegetable market, bric-a-brac, (like a car boot really!) and the hens, ducks, etc are at the very far end. Just ask someone for the "
kokoshki"
. Not sure of spelling, but it sounds like that! s

Does anyone know if this is easy to find and if there is any parking in the vicinity? Our dongle doesn't want to play with google (or anything much!) We need lots of 'stuff' Thanks.

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 3:16 pm

if all else fails try Straldja market tuesday mornings chicks chickens ducks turkeys piglets fish it's all there when it is the right time. It is a great time for chickens now and our neighbour has beautiful birds with special feet feathers and all that showy stuff. Sorry for my ignorance i don't know what thay are called but they are beautiful I loved keeping chickens fresh eggs fresh meat and their companionship when your gardening pecking around whilst the weeds are pulled. Enjoy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wanted Hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wanted Hens   Wanted Hens Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanted Hens

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1