altText

Easter in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Just had the best Easter since we moved here. We have had a lot of good times here Easter and other occations but this one was the best.
Starting on Thursday when the egg lady delivered and we had arranged with our neighbours to paint them all together.
Eggs were cooking in the pans and every one got out their dyes and plastic gloves along with stickers and ribbons and any thing else they had to decorate their eggs The tables were all out in the garden and we decorated eggs chatting and singing along with the music for hours.
This turned into a party and the evening was spent with a very jolly group of our neighbours all Bulgarians.
Friday was bake and share day The fast over for lent and every one loaded the tables again and we had a day and another evening of being one big family.
Saturday was baking day although i had done a biggest batch of hot cross buns ever and we had them on Friday because we are mixing English traditions in with the Bulgarian traditions here.
So Saturday became a bake off with the Bulgarian fruit breads being mixed in the wooden trough like bowls and any oven that was available was baking. Merange nests with chocolate eggs and chocolate cornflake nests with chocolate eggs simnel cakes etc
Sunday we all walked to the local church we have been before and love it. At the church the Priest gave each one and blessing and we lit our candles and did our own thing in a magnificent church that needs its paintings restored but none the less the muriels on the walls are wonderful. The church is full of the fragrance of the flowers that adorn it.
When leaving the church we all collect flowers from the door way to bring home. A tradition upheld here in our town. Then home to share the abundance of eggs and breads and all the other food that every one filled the tables with again.
Eggs were cracked together by young and old some winning the game with eggs unbroken others with eggs in shatters. But all good fun.
We live opposite a school and the children we talk to when we are in the garden came round and were given eggs too and people passing wishing each other a happy Easter.
Monday evening we were invited to join in the name day held at the Roma village on the edge of our town The name day is for any one with a name beginning with G. George Galina Gospodin etc.
There seemed to be thousands of G names and every one had a wonderful time eating and drinking and dancing to music that played all evening.
I expect their were a good many sore heads the following morning!
This is the Bulgaria we fell in love with. We are not party animals nor drinkers but the sence of community the sharing the coming together of people with only one intention and that is to enjoy.
Their are many times through out the year we all get together and do things like this.
We all work hard all year with the mundane repairs and gardening and every day life but the sharing continues extra tomatoes in the garden come over the fence along with cucumbers and fruits and our extras go back across the fence too.
Baking days are often and when the ovens on an extra few pitza or loaves of bread are baked and shared with neighbours.
We hope you all enjoyed your Easter as we do and that community is stronge where ever you are in Bulgaria. Hope you haven't minded me sharing this with you all. Chrissy s Please forgive the spelling since learning Bulgarian i can not think easily or spell in English any more [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm

:Good post:Well done, pleased you enjoyed yourselves s
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm

How could anyone mind you sharing? It all sounds lovely and you have great neighbours, something to shout about I think.

I have to admit to being a bit anti-social on a one-to-one basis at times, but this sort of thing I love. Like the village fetes we had years ago, only more involved. I like to give and share so this would be right up my street. Only time will tell if we are as lucky as you with our new neighbours.

And I hope one day we will be able to speak the language as you do too.

Thank you.

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 4:20 pm

How lovely that you all had such a gr8 easter. We did our sort of normal thing, went to our friends. The women did the egg colouring and me and my mate did the beer drinking Easter in Bulgaria 1865348797 Easter in Bulgaria 1865348797

We also finished off by taking our friends to a local restaurant to have a belated birthday celebration for my Jacqui as we were in the UK when it was her birthday. We always take them out on birthdays so it has become a tradition Easter in Bulgaria 1536469901
Back to top Go down
howler

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Our Easter very similar wife and female friends painted eggs, while I went to the local with my mates, had BBQ in the evening loads of friends around in evening, mainly BG friends. We also take our friends out for a meal or have them to our house for birthdays, they love to try the British cuisine. My wife is an excellent cook, so they all like to try her dishes.

Easter in Bulgaria 3023850720 Easter in Bulgaria 3023850720
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 5:25 pm

T Chrissybg for sharing H g
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Glad you had a great time. Easter in Bulgaria 3356871870 T
Back to top Go down
bob
Junior user
Junior user
bob

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Just been thinking about Easter and wondered if many members celebrate Easter? I know its a big thing in Bg but what do you do? have you joined in the celebration with your neighbours? just as below or similar.

Easter In Bulgaria

Easter is one of the most significant holidays in the Bulgarian calendar. Starting with Palm Sunday, the holy week leads up to the Great Day. In the country, the festival is popularly known as "Velikden", which literally means 'the faith in the resurrection of Jesus Christ'. Easter traditions in Bulgaria are a derivative of the Eastern Orthodox Church rituals. In tune with worldwide Orthodox traditions, bright red colored eggs and Easter breads known as "kolache" or "kozunak" are the prominent symbols of Easter in Bulgaria. In the article, explore all about the traditions and celebrations of Easter in Bulgaria.

Easter Celebration In Bulgaria

Congregation
At midnight on the Saturday before Easter Sunday, people in Bulgaria gather at church, with red painted eggs and bread. The priest proclaims three times "Christos Voskrese" (Christ has risen) and the congregation replies "Vo istina voskrese" (Indeed he has risen). One of the Easter breads is specially decorated with one or more (but an odd number) of red eggs. After a special sequence of services, the clergy blesses the breads and eggs brought by the people.

Good Luck Crack
The Bulgarian 'good luck crack' is a unique Easter tradition in Bulgaria. Eggs are cracked after the midnight service and over the next few days, during the festive season of Easter. On Easter, the eggs are cracked before lunch. The egg that is cracked on the wall of the church is the first egg that people eat after the long fast of Lent. People take turns in tapping their eggs against the eggs of others, and the person who ends up with the last unbroken egg is believed to have a year of good luck. He/she is considered as the most successful, healthy and happy person for the rest of the year.

Easter Presents
The tradition of presenting Easter eggs to loved ones is a tradition followed since ages, in Bulgaria. According to the tradition, in days preceding Easter, Christian families send a loaf of bread and 10-15 red eggs as gifts to their Turkish friends. The person, who delivers the eggs, usually receives money in return. Such breads and eggs are presented not only to the Turkish friends, but also to the Spiritual parents, to the biological parents and to the near and dear, including relatives and friends.

Traditional Easter Feast
Bulgarian Easter is believed to be incomplete without the traditional recipes, indigenous to the country. The traditional Easter recipes served on the festival in Bulgaria include 'Banista' (Bulgarian pastry), 'Palachinki' (a type of pancake), 'Baklava', 'Wine Kebap'. The traditional recipes are prepared and served on the Easter Sunday. The entire family takes part in the feast. Friend and far away acquaintances are also often called upon to join in the feast.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 6:43 pm

We spent our first Easter in BG last year it was fab, lots of egg painting, lovely sweet bread was delivered to all the villagers including us from the local construction company. everyone visiting with eggs had a great time - Did not see one chocolate egg g
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Easter in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easter in Bulgaria   Easter in Bulgaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Easter in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1