Working out our trip

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Working out our trip Empty
PostSubject: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 5:52 pm

On several posts people have mentioned that it's not a good idea to stop overnight in Romania. Can someone please enlighten us as to why. The only reason I can see is that you get approached by ....er...night workers. Or is it that you car and contents are not safe to leave? Or hotels not up to much?

It seems a long way to drive without a break, and a sleep in the car during the day at the end of May could mean fried people and dogs!

We are struggling a bit as there seems to be only one set of keys, which are with the Agent, which will mean driving into VT during working hours. and that seems to mean an extra day on the road.

Heeeelllllllpppp! Working out our trip 794030042

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 pm

I have done the trip several times and stayed in a couple of different places, I have never had any issues but hat doesn't mean to say that others haven't ? if you choose your hotel wi5th secure parking you will be fine, its been a while since I did the trip so can't remember the hotels I stayed at. Good luck and enjoy the trip.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 8:21 pm

we haven't driven through Romania for a long time. Others do and say it is much better now but our problems were the dogs every where in the road The roads were bad with giant potholes and when we pulled into a lay by the ground was running a live with rats and so didn't stop we kept going.
friends tell us they have driven through romania recently and that it is much better now. We always suggest you leave hungary early drive through romania in the day and into BG we always use the serbia route now and it is great Have a good journey
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 8:22 pm

We never used the Romanian route so sorry cannot help. We stopped just before Serbia at a Motorway type Travel Lodge. Then left quite early and bashed all the way through into Bulgaria and to our house. :Great:The Serbia route was fine but didn't stop to be a tourist.
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 5:07 am

I use the Romanian route every time and have had nothing but good experiences and there are some great places to stop, We currently use
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 231;
dcid=1
the area is nice and allows you to cross into BG reasonable early in the day from here, and the drive is breath takingly beautiful in places, we use the Mako border crossing, very quiet roads and they are in good condition, all the way to Vidin.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 7:32 am

I've stayed overnight in Romania, it was fine (although nobody in the hotel spoke English, French or Bulgarian!).

It was some kind of 'truck stop' looking place, and looked really dodgy, however we'd been driving over 10 hours and it was getting dark so gave it a try. Very clean room, lovely people (despite the language issue) and we had a really nice meal.

Don't forget to grab some Romanian currency!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Rakiaplease
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 am

Personally I have always found traveling in Romania OK. The people are friendly and the main roads very good. If you stay in Romania for a night let me know - the hotels are very expensive but I know a cheap one in Bucharest.
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 10:33 am

staying in a hotel in romania is not a problem, select one with secure parking. We tend to book on line in advance so we know where were going. Motels can be a bit dodgy as they are often frequented by working girls and i wouldnt recommend stopping at the side of the road. Mainly due to dangerous lorries, who have a tendancy to drive too fast for the roads. Having said that, we've done both and not suffered any problems. Romania is a great country, stick to the speed limits and you should have a great trip. s
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm

I did the trip in 2011 and drove til I hit the Romanian border from Hungary and asked where I could find a Hotel and was told there was one about 2 kilometers on the right hand side. Sure enough there was one and we stayed over night and to be honest it was Ok and the had a resteraunt which was clean along with the room.You can't miss it as it is right by the road, just make sure you have some Romanian currency which you can exchange Euro's or £'s at the border and don't forget to buy your Vignette at the border s
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Like the others we also had a good experience but would drive during the day and go to the hotel in the evening. Book in advance like BFA said and as like the others says remember your Romanian currency. Have a safe trip.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks for your advice and encouragement everybody. T

We think we have it worked out now. g

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Working out our trip   Working out our trip Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Working out our trip

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1