Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed    Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Im currently number crunching a full time move to BG and as part of that, am trying to ascertain what would be worth bringing over that I can buy more cheaply here that would be needed for a partial house reno/update.

If anyone could help out on giving me on the ground costs, it would be most helpful. Please note that comparisons to the cost in the UK mean nothing to me.

For white goods (washer/fridge/cooker etc), things are cheaper here in China so I would bring them with me (we use the same power so no probs). Small appliances are the same price.

For fittings - taps etc then I can get a nice designer style mixer tap set for 20 - 25 euros here and an overhead rainshower set for around 60 euros. LED lights are also cheap - the cans and transformers for spots run at about 6 euros each and LED bulbs are 3 for 10 euro. Solar pendant lights and lamps that you hang outside all day and then bring in and switch on for 3-4 hours of light are around 10 euro each.

As i will be sending a container by sea, it makes more sense for me to get what I can here if it represents a good saving - so all cost comparisons would be very welcome!

Hope I posted this in the right forum - please feel free to move if not!

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons nee   Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 8:09 am

We moved over just over a year ago and needed some power tools, but it really depends on what renovations you need to do. Firstly a good petrol driven chain is essential for cutting wood for the wood burner and a strimmer for the garden. If you are doing a lot of work on your house a power planer is handy and an angle grinder. One essential commodity is good quality paint, there is not one tin of undercoat or primer sold here that is worth using, the gloss paint here is absolute rubbish, so if you can get Dulux or Crown paints bring enough to do the whole house.
Back to top Go down
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons nee   Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 8:23 am

We do have dulux here but sadly you cannot ship flammable a such as paint as I found out when I wanted a friend to bring me over some oil for my kitchen work tops from the UK.

As for power tools I already have a sander, a hammer drill and a jig saw. Chain saws are too scary for me-I think I'd rather pay someone for that. Good call on the strimmer... I'm not Shute I'd have the strength to scythe a large area! Thank you.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons nee   Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am

expatinchina wrote:
We do have dulux here but sadly you cannot ship flammable a such as paint as I found out when I wanted a friend to bring me over some oil for my kitchen work tops from the UK.

As for power tools I already have a sander, a hammer drill and a jig saw. Chain saws are too scary for me-I think I'd rather pay someone for that. Good call on the strimmer... I'm not Shute I'd have the strength to scythe a large area! Thank you.

We have a contact that goes to the UK each month by van and he has bought us some Crown paint and brought it back to us here in BG. He collects lots of goods and furniture for people here from the UK and delivers to major destinations in BG. If you contact me by PM when you are ready I will put you in touch with him. His prices for shipping are good, current price £115 per sq mtr from the UK to BG. We also use them to bring over Ebay items we have bought that the seller won't ship abroad, so really handy to know him.
Back to top Go down
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons nee   Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:50 am

Dulux paints for sale in Yambol by the old market and in Boumax at Burgas
Back to top Go down
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons nee   Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 7:49 pm

chrissybg wrote:
Dulux paints for sale in Yambol by the old market and in Boumax at Burgas

Do you know if its just indoor or whether they stock weathershield for exteriors? ...useful info coming out here! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons nee   Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 8:07 pm

dont buy from the big stores, look for the local little shops as they are much cheaper for the same thing. eg......... a gardening water spray cost 27 lev at the big store, at the local store the same product was 3.40. lev big difference. c
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed    Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Costing a move to BG - homeware/hardware comparisons needed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2