Internet connections in winter.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Internet connections in winter. Empty
PostSubject: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 pm

I don't know about anyone else on here, but I now keep watching for the yellow flashing light on my 'wireless' whenever I am online just to check I still am! Why? - because this winter the connection has been on and off on an almost daily basis, so whenever that little round thingy keeps going around I have a look to see if I am still online. My internet provider, who is a man on his own although he now also has a trainee, will get me back very quickly or else come to the village to check the connections. He came this morning and his car looked like it had been to the Arctic covered in icicles and snow. What a hero and I was back online in the 30 minutes he told me. I bet the big boys wouldn't be so obliging.
It is annoying to suddenly lose connection but looking up at the wires in the village I am not surprised. Many junctions are covered by plastic bottles of any description and I guess the weight of snow recently doesn't help.
One question I can't figure out - why when it says I am connected, does Google not google me to any website I need? Then it tells me that there is no connection..... but there is!!!! It says so. Is it because too many people are online? I have followed the 'diagnostics' box which says there is no problem with my computer and when I go into'' help'' it can't and tells me to ask a friend!!! The wonders of the internet. 'Much as I hate it I miss it when I don't have it. Internet connections in winter. 794030042
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 pm

i'm with mtel, which i have to say is totally rubbish, but has a nifty tool which might answer your question. quite often when the internet says im connected the dialogue box says i have no upload or download speed, which is usually when google starts saying i can't open sites. so u may be suffering from the same problem that although your connected, you don't have enough speed to actual get on anything. Internet connections in winter. 794030042
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 3:31 pm

We use Alexander in Yambol and rarely have problems, but if we do he is here quicker than Jack Flash g
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 4:05 pm

I have a similar setup/arrangement to you Tony..same horse, different name. On the very rare occasion I have a problem, phone call and it's fixed in a jiffy. Longest downtime was about two and a half hours caused by some lowlifes stealing a kilometre or so of the cable in the middle of the night.
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Welcome to the world of the internet, half the time we don't know what's happening and then most of the time we don't understand what's happening, so we just try and plod on as best we can.

Internet connections are not one of the things that I am that good at, but here goes.

1. Especially for wireless connection problem, look for the properties box and try a 'Repair'.
If you have the wireless icon on the tool bar next to the clock then just right-click
and select the repair option from there.

2. If your modem has a restart feature in it's control panel, try that.

3. Turn off the computer and modem for a couple of minutes, then turn the modem back on, followed by the computer about 4 or 5 minutes later.
Only one problem there though is that your IP address may change, but that would happen with power cuts anyway, so probably not a problem for you, unless you needed a 'Fixed IP' for specific things such as P2P downloading.

A site to try when having problems is:
"
Down for everyone or just me"
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This might help to let you know if a specific site is just you or everyone.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 6:08 pm

im with vivacom and its not too bad, but it does go down, if it rains, or snows or the wind blows [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and every saturday there is little speed to even turn pages. yet, no matter what you try it does not work and always says Good Strength, never poor.
:Dance: :Dance: :Dance:these boys turn the speed down. Internet connections in winter. 1865348797 Internet connections in winter. 1069384364
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Every Saturday mmm

Sounds more like everyone going on-line all at the same time maybe or a lot of people downloading movies from P2P sites.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Before some of my erstwhile forum friends ask ..what the heck is a P2P site?
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 6:43 pm

bgbazz wrote:
Before some of my erstwhile forum friends ask ..what the heck is a P2P site?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Thank you Andy. It's about as clear as mud, but thank you anyway.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Hope this helps.

Peer to peer (P2P) is a network protocol for computer users, used for downloading torrents or P2P files. Rather than connecting to the Internet, P2P software allows surfers to connect with each other to search for and download content. Because of the unique structure of the network, it is very efficient for downloading large files. A quick comparison to standard downloading explains why.

The Internet connects users or surfers to website servers. By cruising the Internet a user establishes a one-on-one connection with each website visited. If the user wants content (files) from that website, the server that archives the website transfers the files requested. Since a website can have hundreds or even thousands of visitors at any give moment, file transfer can be slow or sluggish at times. Download speed can slow to a trickle.

On a P2P network, when a user wants a file, installed software locates any copies of the file within the network. It then allows the user to create multiple connections with several sources that have all or part of the requested file. As parts of the file are received, they are also uploaded to other users that are requesting that file. This protocol of matching several sources to a request makes for an efficient download scheme.

Because files are received from various sources rather than a single source, large files can be downloaded quickly by P2P. However, there’s a catch. P2P software keeps track of how much a user downloads, compared to how much he or she shares. If someone downloads more than they upload, bandwidth for downloading is decreased or choked. If one maintains a 1:1 ratio or better, download speed is increased.

Most users have asynchronous connections to the Internet, meaning they can download several times faster than they can upload. Therefore, uploading data to a P2P network can take considerable time. To guarantee good download speeds, users commonly stay connected after receiving their requested file(s) in order to seed the file back to others. P2P software can be configured to automatically disconnect the user from the network when a particular share-ratio is reached.

A leech is a P2P user who disconnects from the network as soon as he or she receives the file requested. This is considered poor form on a P2P network. A swarm refers to the total amount of users making a particular file available, and might consist of multiple seeds, leeches, and downloaders/uploaders.

One can use a Web browser to search for a P2P torrent, for example, but a P2P client must be installed to actually download the torrent. Many clients are freeware and some are open source programs, usually considered free of back doors or spyware.

This technology is legal, but sharing copyrighted materials is not. Some websites that archive illegal P2P files have been targeted by organizations representing recording artists and the movie industry. Class action suits have also been brought against users in some cases.
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 6:57 pm

Or to put it another way, Pirate download sites.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Thank you Andy..as you say in your first paragraph, there is no need to be connected to the internet, so should make it easier?
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 am

Wow that got you all going. Yes, my man is brilliant and don't want to change him although village gossip is telling me that he has sold out to someone. I can't believe that because he would have told me. I think its one of the biggies like M-Tel trying to muscle in because I was told they need at least 28 people to sign up. I'm sticking to my lovely man who is at the end of the telephone and always does the business.
I think I can understand some of the techie stuff thats been suggested especially the speed because if I watch my UK TV through the laptop it does say when the band width is poor and occasionally it goes off completely for a while.
I have, at bored moments, gone into the repair mode but it doesn't seem to work and I have switched everything off and re-booted. I think I just need patience because eventually it comes back on.
Nice to share everyones info and experiences. Very consoling. Have to say that considering we are in a valley surrounded by mountains, I am surprised we have internet at all. Even Vivacom only use a dongle and can't supply wireless. I first asked them 8 years ago when Vali computers got me on dial-up. How come my ''man'' got the village broadband years ago? H
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Well apart from all the spiel about P2P and the like a lot depends on your provider. g

Just to prove a point we had a problem today which happened at 17.30 we called our provider (Alexandre Alexanderov in Yambol) and Todor his assistant was with us by 17.50. Considering that they finish work at 18.00 this is super service. I would recommend them every day of the week g.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Internet connections in winter.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next