altText
altText
altText

sowing time???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edinko

sowing time??? Empty
PostSubject: sowing time???   sowing time??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 pm

I know it is way too early to be sowing outside yet, but out of curiosity has anyone been sowing in their greenhouses yet? either flowers or veg, last year i was sowing all my petunias and also geraniums at this time, but last year was a very bad winter, this year is a lot milder and i havent sown anything yet, the relatively mild weather over the past few weeks has thrown me into a quandry, is it still early or am i a bit late???
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

sowing time??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sowing time???   sowing time??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 pm

We've got some tomatoes and onions just coming through, but they're in the house. Too early for them outdoors yet though!
Will do more veggies in the coming weeks. s
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

sowing time??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sowing time???   sowing time??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 2:06 pm

I really hope we can be out there and doing the same by next year. With being in a rented house I am missing the planning. I am ogling the seed catalogues and can't help looking for gardening bargains.

But will have to be content with just growing a bit of salad in pots. Mr Eq says we can put pots all over the place for tomatoes and beans and things, but it would break my heart to have to dump them if we were to move!

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

sowing time??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sowing time???   sowing time??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 5:29 pm

We grew nothing last year apart from weeds and they were cut down as much as possible. Doing the necessary DIY work to our house took all our time and left little time for planting. We hope to grow vegetables this year and to construct some wooden posts for the grape vine to get going once again. The BG's grow lots of things and spend most of the summer bottling veg and fruit to consume during the Winter months. Our neighbour "
Bernard"
spends all his time bottling in some or another, most of it is the drinkable stuff!! He is also able to pick lemons off the tree any time of the year, we were somewhat surprised every time he wanted a lemon he went into his lounge to get one. There was a good reason for that, as the lemon tree was fully grown and was enjoying life, but not in his garden, it was in his lounge!!

sowing time??? 1865348797 sowing time??? 1865348797
Back to top Go down
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

sowing time??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sowing time???   sowing time??? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 7:39 pm

This is the best month to start February. Sow your petunias and salad seeds lots of flowers are started now for the summer months. Mine are in my conservatory with out heat and they will do fine in there so a green house should be fine Cover seed trays or pots with glass or cling film for extra protection. You should put your potatoes to one side now to chit(grow shoots) plant them out in the garden or in pots on good friday.
chrissy
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

sowing time??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sowing time???   sowing time??? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 8:27 am

Last year we started sowing quite early and then, after the worst of the cold weather was over, put our seedlings into a mini plastic greenhouse. We tended to bring it into the house at night. All went well until we heard a crashing noise one afternoon, and to our horror, the greenhouse had blown over in the wind and all our seedlings fallen out of the trays and pots!
We managed to save most of them, the problem was knowing which was which! The main problem was the pumpkins, cucumbers, gherkins etc which all looked alike. It was pot luck really, and we ended up with far more pumpkins than we needed and not enough cucumbers.
This year we will doing the same, but the greenhouse will be firmly attached to railings!! sowing time??? 1865348797
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

sowing time??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sowing time???   sowing time??? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Not being the greatest gardeners we plant when the Bulgarians tell us to. Well, my Hero does most of the digging and planting and we have a reasonable success rate for our needs. I mostly love my pot plants of geraniums and petunias which do well in the heat and then generally prefer to sit in the garden reading while maybe pulling up a few weeds. s [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

sowing time??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sowing time???   sowing time??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sowing time???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1