altText

Gadgets and things

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Gadgets and things - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 2:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi Guys

Can I have your opinion on this gadget that is on ebay please. I am not sure it is what I am looking for. I was thinking as additional security in our place in BG. but this sounds too simple Gadgets and things - Page 2 3135333095 so was wondering if I am missing something ie the catch :Gadgets and things - Page 2 3897195628:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 1423.l2649
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 am

Mr Eq bought me one a couple of months ago, Galaxy.

Had a bite but wasn't to my taste! Gadgets and things - Page 2 1865348797

It will still be there when this little chap packs up. He likes it, I don't like new things but I will be fine when I get used to it. It seems to do things I don't want it to. As Bgbazz says, play with it, they are very accommodating and forgiving! g

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 1:15 am

To do what you want a camera to do, the easiest and cheapest way is to use 'IP Camera's'. (Internet Protocol Camera)
The one's described below are internal cameras, but you can get external IP cameras, but obviously the prices start to go UP.

I brought one of these not long ago which will do what you want it to do but it was one of the cheaper options and does have a couple of annoying faults, such as the Automatic PAN is too fast and also it's not possible to turn off the LED lights which would be handy if being used behind a glass window as it reflects the LEDs.
From eBay [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 4168da3244

Like I said, I brought this one because it was cheap just to try and for the price £36 was well pleased even with it's faults.
But other people have suggested using a 'Foscam' brand @ £54 and they again say how good they are.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 2c58a85573
But.
Again you will need a wireless connection and a power supply for the IP Camera but you do not need to have a working computer at the camera site, you simply input the camera code into the address bar of a computer from anywhere in the world to see the pictures or even record, there are even features that can email you a picture if it detects movement but I have never looked into that part of it.

As for power cuts, the best thing is to get yourself a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) which is basically a battery backup which your equipment uses if and when there is a power cut and carries on working as normal, if it was used just for a router and possibly a couple of cameras it should last a few hours, on normal computer set-ups they are very limited and usually only about 30 minutes if you are luvky, but that again depend on the version that is brought.

Only one draw back that I can think of would be if you were viewing your property and saw something you would rather have not have seen knowing there is little you can do about it might be disheartening, but a plus point would be being able to contact someone to let them know something is wrong and be able to help you.
Although another plus point would be being able to look at the wonderful scenery even when not there
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks Phill some good information here Gadgets and things - Page 2 2581928987
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 9:40 am

oddball wrote:
ohhhhhhhhh I bought me a tablet - looks fab not sure what to do with it yet Gadgets and things - Page 2 3135333095 I was very brave and turned it on. What pretty colours. Tomorrow I might have another go Gadgets and things - Page 2 3998065313 Not that great with tech stuff my phones is something out of the ark too g

Thanks Phil fo the info. g

The Android tablet superpad VII still looks pretty :Swoon: :Swoon: I tried to link it to wireless wifi but could not do this - so irang my internet provider who told me I had to buy a router and connect this - I as given a new one but it still did not connect. I rang the provided again and they said, you have to buy one from us - I was most annoyed - told them I will go with Sky who provides the latest updates etc etc g Next thing I know is, he said we are very sorry we will send you a router out today you will have that in 3 days just replace the modem with this router. I said why did you not offer me this in the beginning instead of wasting my time - he said this is not a service we normally provide but as you are have been a customer for etc etc again this was not the answer I WANTED as this now opened up another can of worms - it appears they are looking after the new customers, giving them top of the range equipment and not bothering with their long standing customers - so me thinks a complaint is in order - Will wait till I get my router and set up first. Gadgets and things - Page 2 1675110159
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 pm

You are quite correct about Virgin Media (VM) looking after new customers.

I had cause to ring VM some time ago and asked if I could have the same deal as on a leaflet that had just come through my letter box as it was nearly 50% cheaper than what I was currently paying, and the reply was.... wait for it ... .. YES OF COURSE. c
When I asked why it was not done automatically the reply was that they have to wait for customers to ask before they can give any of the offers or discounts offered as standard to new customers.
After my last call I was then given free calls to all 01 numbers 24/7 and not just during the evening and night time when most people are in bed asleep so do not necessarily get any benefit from the evening session due to how late it starts and how early in the morning it finishes.
For quite some time after that every-time I phoned I usually ended up with some freebie or other, but now if they give me much more they will be paying me to take the service.
(But might still be worth phoning again as it has been about 12 months since I asked for anything).
As for the 'Tablet' I think there is some confusion what you need and what you have, firstly you do not need a router because the tablet will be working of a wireless connection, so you will be needing a wireless connection, of which your new VM Super Hub will take care of.
I suspect the old VM modem was not wireless and possibly you did not have any sort of wireless device to send the signal.

A router is just a multi-point connection block for plugging in more than one appliance, or for creating things like networks for your computers or/and printer/s, although probably most of the new routers will have the wireless facility also.
Sorry this has gone way OT away from the OP question with regards to security cameras, and it might be a good idea if oddball starts a new thread with regards to connecting the tablet to a wireless connection and I hope there will be someone else who can help her, as I don't have or know anything about tablets or iPads so would not know where to guide her for setting or getting connected.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Phil-H wrote:
You are quite correct about Virgin Media (VM) looking after new customers.

I had cause to ring VM some time ago and asked if I could have the same deal as on a leaflet that had just come through my letter box as it was nearly 50% cheaper than what I was currently paying, and the reply was.... wait for it ... .. YES OF COURSE. c
When I asked why it was not done automatically the reply was that they have to wait for customers to ask before they can give any of the offers or discounts offered as standard to new customers.
After my last call I was then given free calls to all 01 numbers 24/7 and not just during the evening and night time when most people are in bed asleep so do not necessarily get any benefit from the evening session due to how late it starts and how early in the morning it finishes.
For quite some time after that every-time I phoned I usually ended up with some freebie or other, but now if they give me much more they will be paying me to take the service.
(But might still be worth phoning again as it has been about 12 months since I asked for anything).
As for the 'Tablet' I think there is some confusion what you need and what you have, firstly you do not need a router because the tablet will be working of a wireless connection, so you will be needing a wireless connection, of which your new VM Super Hub will take care of.
I suspect the old VM modem was not wireless and possibly you did not have any sort of wireless device to send the signal.

A router is just a multi-point connection block for plugging in more than one appliance, or for creating things like networks for your computers or/and printer/s, although probably most of the new routers will have the wireless facility also.
Sorry this has gone way OT away from the OP question with regards to security cameras, and it might be a good idea if oddball starts a new thread with regards to connecting the tablet to a wireless connection and I hope there will be someone else who can help her, as I don't have or know anything about tablets or iPads so would not know where to guide her for setting or getting connected.

Thanks Phil good post and yes, you are correct they modem is not wireless - so all I have to do is wait for the new super router hub thing and exchange with modem Gadgets and things - Page 2 3367882216 Watch this space.

This post is about gadgets and things so fine to keep info on here. I have given up on the camera to computer idea now I will just bring security cameras. g
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Just don't forget, ip Cameras are what you want, then all you do is input (something similar to this) h [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] into the address url bar above and you then watch your camera pictures. (The code is supplied with the camera)

Obviously like most things, the initial setting up can sometimes be awkward especially if you are not very techy minded, but most of the time they install without any problems.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Phil-H wrote:
Just don't forget, ip Cameras are what you want, then all you do is input (something similar to this) h [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] into the address url bar above and you then watch your camera pictures. (The code is supplied with the camera)

Obviously like most things, the initial setting up can sometimes be awkward especially if you are not very techy minded, but most of the time they install without any problems.

Good luck.

T
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 5:28 pm

You shouldn't have any problems setting up a wireless router..even I could do it. We have one in each of our houses and run wireless connections with 4 tablets, 3 laptops and 2 PC's plus a number of mobile phones which handle wireless internet. Oh, the new printer/scanner/copier is also wireless.

Have fun.
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Setting up the router is absolutely no problem, also remember DO NOT change any of the default passwords until you are happy to do so, 'admin &
admin' are the default

You will need to give your wireless network a name, this is also known and seen as 'SSID' and also a password.
So when setting up any other equipment you will always need to either select or input your SSID name, then and only then will you be able to complete the tablet or laptops Wi-Fi setup.
Also do not have your SSID set as 'Hidden' until you have setup other units or are happy to hide it.

On my Super Hub I have only ever had to set the SSID and the SSIDs password, so you should also be able to forget all the other settings to.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi Guys

just and updated to say the new router arrived yesterday and was installed so now the tablet thingy is all up and running and I did the gracious thing of given it to Mr Oddy to work it out and to my surprise he is doing great - He hates anythign to do with computers, has not patients with tech stuff but he does seem to like this tablet thingy. g
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 pm

Glad to hear you got most of your problem sorted.

The rest of your problem is now getting it back from Mr Oddy Gadgets and things - Page 2 1865348797
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Phil-H wrote:
Glad to hear you got most of your problem sorted.

The rest of your problem is now getting it back from Mr Oddy Gadgets and things - Page 2 1865348797

You know Phil I would hate to see a grown man cry Gadgets and things - Page 2 927475117 So I will let him keep it, He will be able to take it to BG with him and hopefully get a dongle thingy through viva com so he can use the internet and skype, this way it won't cost me a fortune in telephone calls to the mobile.
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 am

I think (hope) I said earlier I don't know anything about tablets but I don't think you can use a dongle on them, or am I mistaken and do they have USB ports?
One or two I just looked at seem to have 'Micro USB' but not normal size USB which you will need for a dongle.

Otherwise you will need to get a wireless connection the same as you are now doing in the UK.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 am

Phil-H wrote:
I think (hope) I said earlier I don't know anything about tablets but I don't think you can use a dongle on them, or am I mistaken and do they have USB ports?
One or two I just looked at seem to have 'Micro USB' but not normal size USB which you will need for a dongle.

Otherwise you will need to get a wireless connection the same as you are now doing in the UK.

Well it has USB ports on it s well as a keyboard and a built in keybaord too, this one is apparently is the all singing all dancing on. I was watching it earlier and it burst into song and then started a little jig Gadgets and things - Page 2 1865348797 Gadgets and things - Page 2 1865348797 The chap said you can use a dongle via a mobile phone, but we will see when it goes to Bulgaria.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gadgets and things   Gadgets and things - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gadgets and things

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next