altText
altText

Run laptop from the main pc

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Run laptop from the main pc Empty
PostSubject: Run laptop from the main pc   Run laptop from the main pc Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 12:02 am

Hi Guys

Go a question please. I have a main pc with Virgin broadband I would like to run my laptop through this as well as keeping the main pc operational. We tried a separate modem but it would not work. Some said I do no need a separate modem as i can be run via Network Internet access icon on the pc. My question is. Is this correct? and is it ok to do this? Run laptop from the main pc 3135333095

Thanks Oddy g
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: Run laptop from the main pc   Run laptop from the main pc Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 6:05 am

Hi Bernie
You would be better with a router
Main internet cable into into router then cable from router to main PC, then set up wireless network
see below for an idea

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Internet provider should be able to provide and do it for you??

Bill
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Run laptop from the main pc   Run laptop from the main pc Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 7:18 am

Bulgaria bill is right! You need a router where your telephone cable plugs into your router and the ethernet cable which will be supplied with your router plugs into your router and into your PC. Your lap top should be wireless so it must be configured to your router to give you a wireless connection. The way to do this is to go on the net and bring up the make of your router and the instructions will tell you how to configure your equipment. Having done this your lap top will work wirelessly enabling you to go on the internet as well as your PC. Tip it will ask you for a security pass word to be placed by you so no one outside can poach your internet connection as it will be wireless now via the router.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Run laptop from the main pc   Run laptop from the main pc Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 8:39 am

T :Thank you:guys I will have a go at that and let you know how I get on. g
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Run laptop from the main pc   Run laptop from the main pc Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 10:04 am

Have to agree with both of the above, I think you do have a router Bernie and not a modem? once you go wireless its easy, I did exactly this here and now I have 2 pc's and 2 laptops all of which can access each other. (So long as they are switched on)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Run laptop from the main pc   Run laptop from the main pc Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 12:35 am

Unfortunately very late but as there does not seem to be a update I'll just post this.

With being a Virgin Media customer you should have been issued with one of their new 'Super Hubs' which are wireless modems with a built-in router, but if by now you have your own router, you can just disable the setting to use the Virgin Media router part, otherwise either use the wireless part or plug a RJ45 (Ethernet) cable in and away you go.

Finally:
You can use almost as many items as you want with any combination of wireless or/and RJ45 (WAN &
LAN)
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Run laptop from the main pc   Run laptop from the main pc Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 9:45 am

Phil-H wrote:
Unfortunately very late but as there does not seem to be a update I'll just post this.

With being a Virgin Media customer you should have been issued with one of their new 'Super Hubs' which are wireless modems with a built-in router, but if by now you have your own router, you can just disable the setting to use the Virgin Media router part, otherwise either use the wireless part or plug a RJ45 (Ethernet) cable in and away you go.

Finally:
You can use almost as many items as you want with any combination of wireless or/and RJ45 (WAN &
LAN)

Re: Gadgets and things

Postby oddball ยป 27 Jan 2013 10:40

oddball wrote:ohhhhhhhhh I bought me a tablet - looks fab not sure what to do with it yet :shocked1:I was very brave and turned it on. What pretty colours. Tomorrow I might have another go Run laptop from the main pc 3998065313 Not that great with tech stuff my phones is something out of the ark too g

Thanks Phil fo the info. g

The laptop and the Android tablet superpad VII still looks pretty :Swoon::Swoon:I tried to link it to wireless wifi but could not do this - so irang my internet provider who told me I had to buy a router and connect this - I as given a new one but it still did not connect. I rang the provided again and they said, you have to buy one from us - I was most annoyed - told them I will go with Sky who provides the latest updates etc etc :Great:Next thing I know is, he said we are very sorry we will send you a router out today you will have that in 3 days just replace the modem with this router. I said why did you not offer me this in the beginning instead of wasting my time - he said this is not a service we normally provide but as you are have been a customer for etc etc again this was not the answer I WANTED as this now opened up another can of worms - it appears they are looking after the new customers, giving them top of the range equipment and not bothering with their long standing customers - so me thinks a complaint is in order - Will wait till I get my router and set up first. Run laptop from the main pc 1675110159
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: Run laptop from the main pc   Run laptop from the main pc Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Yes sorry for the mix up on your other post, but I think it still fitted in 'a bit'

I don't know how or why but I seem to have carried this over to your other thread so you may want to just check my last post with regards not needing a router.
viewtopic.php?f=68&
t=6263&
p=62891#p62891
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Run laptop from the main pc   Run laptop from the main pc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Run laptop from the main pc

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1