altText

Vegetarianism

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Vegetarianism Empty
PostSubject: Vegetarianism   Vegetarianism Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:13 pm

We've had the no-smoking debate so how about vegetarianism? What difference does it make because a few people don't eat meat? Animals will still be slaughtered for food and has to be as a big food provider for the world. Do vegetarians not eat meat because of an aversion to meat or because they think it will make a difference to how farming progresses? Just a thought because I eat meat, albeit mostly chicken these days due to health problems, and I would find it difficult to kill home reared animals although I can de-feather and gut a dead bird. However, in dire straits like poverty or war, I wouldn't be so fussy and I am sure I could kill in these circumstances. Answers please.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

Vegetarianism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetarianism   Vegetarianism Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Nice one oldun g

I like my meat and I'm not that fussy what it is as long as it is tasty. I'm a believer in a balanced diet hence you must eat fruit and veg. I have no objections to those who choose to become Veggies. But I object to those that are who try and force others to do the same and insist that they are given special treatment when being a guest in someone else's home.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Vegetarianism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetarianism   Vegetarianism Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 2:12 pm

I do not call myself a vegetarian, just someone who doesn't eat meat or meat products. I am not super strict about cheese, and will eat fish. Having worked on farms, not necessarily with farm animals, and seen even good farmers holding animals in less than ideal conditions, I just don't want to eat it. I am not a fanatical veggie, and if more animals had been kept as naturally as commercially possible (yes, I know it's expensive) I may still be a meat eater. But after thirty years there is no going back for me now. Mr Eq likes his meat, but I am fussy what I buy, or as fussy as you can be in a major supermarket. I know I should use local butchers, but as I work in a supermarket and get a good discount that would be daft. I can buy free range pork and chickens, not ideal but there we are. Mr Eq is confident he will be able to eat home grown chicken, though new EU regulations say you have to have a certificate of competence to kill a chicken, or any animal. He is no stranger to killing things to feed or for humane reasons. And being an ex caterer I am no stranger to cooking meat.

And I always feed visitors what I think they will appreciate, even though it means doing different for me, I'm used to it.

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Vegetarianism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetarianism   Vegetarianism Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm

I totally agree with Tony and I can see what Mrs Eq is saying. These new EU regs regarding killing your food will be taken with a grain of salt otherwise you will end up with almost all of the rural population of Bulgaria, Romania, Greece and quite a few other member states locked up!!

I know it's not observed here in any serious way because just last week I was invited to function along with a large number of MP's, including members of the agricultural department and the health department and we all enjoyed a massive BBQ which included meat which was walking around an hour before being cooked. The yearling, two sheep and two pigs were slaughtered in full view of everyone there at the time...not one eyebrow was raised! I like my meat a little more matured than that usually but it was very tasty (if a little tough).

Different strokes for different folks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vegetarianism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vegetarianism   Vegetarianism Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vegetarianism

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ExPat Lounge-