altText

The Peace Pilgrim

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chrisbriggs
Senior user
Senior user

The Peace Pilgrim Empty
PostSubject: The Peace Pilgrim   The Peace Pilgrim Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 6:47 pm

A funny thing happened to us yesterday afternoon. It was around four o'clock and Mrs Briggs and I were discussing what to have for tea, when one of our neighbours turned up at the kitchen door. He called me over and went down the path to the front gate. Standing there was another neighbour and a rather bedraggled and confused looking man with a rucksack. Once it was established by the neighbours that this man could speak English and we could understand each other, the neighbours promptly disappeared. The man, who is a German and named Thomas, explained that he was a 'Peace Pilgrim' and was walking from Germany to India to promote peace. Anyway the top and bottom of it was that he needed a place to stay for the night. He told me that this was how he managed to go on his walk and that he was dependant on the kindness of strangers on his journey. He had walked through the night, crossing at Silistra from Romania, and ended up in our village. It had been a really foul night and he was soaking. Anyway, we invited him in, gave him a meal and a bed for the night, and he was a very interesting guy. I dont really understand how taking 5 years to walk to India is going to help promote peace in the world but you have to admire this mans commitment and belief. Perhaps the world would be in a better state if there were more people like Thomas around. So, after a substantial breakfast, he went on his way. He plans to walk to the black sea coast, Via Dobrich. He is aiming for Balchik then he will head South down the coast towards Bourgas and he hopes to end up in Istanbul by January. If by chance anyone in those areas does meet him then he will surely be grateful for any hospitality you can extend to him and he really is no trouble. The guys full name is Thomas Heinrich Schmockel and he has a website, if anyone cares to look it is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. If this had happened in the UK, I very much doubt if we would have entertained the idea of letting a perfect stranger stay in our home overnight, but here in Bulgaria it just seemed the right thing to do. Very strange!!! The Peace Pilgrim 1536469901
Back to top Go down
Brian1
Senior user
Senior user
Brian1

The Peace Pilgrim Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Peace Pilgrim   The Peace Pilgrim Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Well done to you for your kindness to a stranger, this is something that is missing in the world today and I agree the world would be a better place with this kind of thing but unfortunately not all these people who are traveling around are genuine which gives most of them a bad name. I would have certainly offered him a meal and bed for the night. The Peace Pilgrim 3356871870
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

The Peace Pilgrim Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Peace Pilgrim   The Peace Pilgrim Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 5:29 am

I think this guy is on a mission and determined to carry it out by the sounds of it and something I wouldn't and couldn't do. But hats off to him and to you also for taking him in as I would have done the same.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

The Peace Pilgrim Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Peace Pilgrim   The Peace Pilgrim Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Well done Chrisbriggs. I am sure we would have done the same. In fact, a few years ago there was an older travelling man with a donkey who caused much amusement and bewilderment when he arrived in our village. As it happened, we were hosting a party for the whole village to celebrate our 5 years living there and to celebrate my one and only windfall. We invited him to join in and he did although he was only going to spend one night on his route to wherever. He thoroughly enjoyed himself and became quite a star attraction especially with his lovely mode of transport - his donkey. He wanted nothing from anyone although he asked permission from our Mayor to stay in the derelict school building. He made himself quite comfy there before moving on 4 days later.
There are some amazing people around who do some amazing things and I salute them and their bravery because they must sometimes be putting themselves at risk. s
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

The Peace Pilgrim Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Peace Pilgrim   The Peace Pilgrim Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Great post and takes me back many years to when this sort of thing was the norm but sadly these days its something everyone needs to think about first. The Peace Pilgrim 3356871870
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

The Peace Pilgrim Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Peace Pilgrim   The Peace Pilgrim Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 10:52 am

:Good post:chrisbriggs and well done to you and your family for helping him on his way. The Peace Pilgrim 1536469901

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Peace Pilgrim Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Peace Pilgrim   The Peace Pilgrim Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Peace Pilgrim

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Life in Bulgaria-