Fruit trees

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

Fruit trees Empty
PostSubject: Fruit trees   Fruit trees Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 5:21 pm

I want to plant an orchard next year using a variety of fruit trees and also a couple of vines along the front
of our summer kitchen.
Is it possible to grow citrus fruits as well as the usual apple,plum,cherry etc ?
Also is there a particular variety of grape that anyone can recommend ?
T
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Fruit trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit trees   Fruit trees Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 6:23 pm

I am interested to see if anyone has done this successfully, but I would have thought a winter like last year would see them off. Maybe a "
mobile"
tree you could put under glass for the winter?
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

Fruit trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit trees   Fruit trees Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Most fruit trees will grow in Bulgaria except Olives , Lemons and most citrus fruit .I do not know what part you are living in and temperatures can get as low as minus 30 in parts .Also in summer it can reach 40 c in parts . So you need to go for winter hardy specimens which will have a good water supply in summer . Grapes are an obvious choice with Cherry , apple and pear . I have not seen many Raspberry's or Blackberry's but can see no reason why they should not do well .
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

Fruit trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit trees   Fruit trees Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 pm

fruit trees and vines do well in bulgaria, they cope with the heat and survive the winters. g I think you will struggle with citrus trees, some can cope with zero temperatures, but they would struggle to cope with minus 20 plus. lemons and oranges can only cope with zero. i lost mine due to the cold. Fruit trees 927475117
Back to top Go down
Brian1
Senior user
Senior user
Brian1

Fruit trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit trees   Fruit trees Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 9:04 pm

You could have a look at the plovdiv fair [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and here's a couple more links that might be helpful?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 90%2F96%2F

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... ge_code=en
Back to top Go down
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

Fruit trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit trees   Fruit trees Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:37 pm

:Thank you:Thanks all for your info on this subject and cheers Brian for the informative and interesting links.
We are situated in the Danubian Plain close to the city of Pleven . The climate doesn't seem quite so severe as some
other areas but can still peak at 40c and dip to -20c so anything planted needs to be fairly hardy.
Can't wait to get started next year and am hoping that the summer will be as good as this years . Fruit trees 3367882216
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fruit trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit trees   Fruit trees Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fruit trees

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1