View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 8:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

There seems to be a bit of sadness (bitterness?) about at the moment....either that or I am looking at all the wrong posts....where some members' new or long term stays in Bulgaria seem to have gone wrong causing them to return to the UK.

So, for all those who have/are going back home, can you share with us, in general terms of course, what made you give up on Bulgaria? It could be educational to those of us wanting to move out, and give us an idea, from the horses mouth, what we need to look out for.

I hope, being the eternal pessimist (according to Mr Eq!) that I do not wear rose tinted glasses, and know there will be difficult times ahead trying to settle into a new life in a totally new country. And nearer the time, after a couple of visits, we will no doubt have loads of questions about specific areas and what to look out for.

Hope this is not being too nosy!

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Just thought of yet another reason for selling up. Divorce. This can be very traumatic anywhere but particularly when abroad. The stresses of relocating can drive a couple apart especially if one likes it and the other can't cope.
Surprised at the lack of personal answers to this query but maybe people are not so open as myself and keep problems to themselves finding it hard to admit Bulgaria is not for them. Well, at least they tried and are now secure in the knowledge that they have had an adventure instead of just wishing albeit an expensive one!
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Divorce!! Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 3135333095 Hadn't thought of that! Selling our house is stressful enough, and the waiting is causing tension, so I can see that something as big as a move abroad must be a whole lot worse. Communication is a must at all times, and there is no point doing something so drastic unless everyone is in agreement that is is what they want. c We will not move out unless both of us are completely in agreement on all points.

I am also a bit surprised there have not been more replies to this, but maybe people would rather keep their problems private, which I quite understand. Thank you everyone for your input. T
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Well folks, after much soul searching (see topic 'Am I mad') and writing all these posts on the reasons for people selling up in Bulgaria - I am happy to announce that we are STAYING! I have travelled a long journey this last year and I now realise that I have probably had a bad bout of depression. I am not normally a depressive person but some upsetting things that happened obviously took their toll.
Recently we have had property viewings and met some lovely people, all of whom liked our house. I think they could see it was our home and how much we loved it. After all this I have also realised that we would be mad to leave and having told my children, they all thought I was too but did not interfere. I have never interfered with any of their decisions no matter how much I might have wanted to, and they respected mine. They now assure me (knowing me and Tom so well) that I would not have been happy for 5 minutes back in Blighty.
It just shows how isolation from old friends and family and being thrown to the wolves by new associations can undermine even the strongest amongst us.
My point of writing this is to make people think twice before throwing in the towel. Having listed some of the reasons people decide to leave there may be others going through a similar trauma to my own, so please make a list of the good and bad points of staying or going!
The good news for those determined to sell up - don't believe agents who say no-one is looking!!! They are but maybe the agent isn't good enough. The days of just driving a buyer around and letting them get on with it are long gone. They have to really sell and take time to answer questions truthfully.
I hope our prospective buyers also find the home of their dreams in a pleasant village like Mindya. I would fully recommend this area of Bulgaria to anyone bearing in mind the disasters that can happen in some beautiful places in the hard winters and to stay within 25kms of a big town for those things the village shop doesn't stock and for medical supplies. s
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Glad you have made up your mind to stay, Oldun. It gives us a bit more reassurance, as it was clear from your posts that you really didn't want to leave but thought it was a sensible option.

Welcome back from Me and Mr Eq g
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 pm

oldun wrote:
Well folks, after much soul searching (see topic 'Am I mad') and writing all these posts on the reasons for people selling up in Bulgaria - I am happy to announce that we are STAYING! I have travelled a long journey this last year and I now realise that I have probably had a bad bout of depression. I am not normally a depressive person but some upsetting things that happened obviously took their toll.
Recently we have had property viewings and met some lovely people, all of whom liked our house. I think they could see it was our home and how much we loved it. After all this I have also realised that we would be mad to leave and having told my children, they all thought I was too but did not interfere. I have never interfered with any of their decisions no matter how much I might have wanted to, and they respected mine. They now assure me (knowing me and Tom so well) that I would not have been happy for 5 minutes back in Blighty.
It just shows how isolation from old friends and family and being thrown to the wolves by new associations can undermine even the strongest amongst us.
My point of writing this is to make people think twice before throwing in the towel. Having listed some of the reasons people decide to leave there may be others going through a similar trauma to my own, so please make a list of the good and bad points of staying or going!
The good news for those determined to sell up - don't believe agents who say no-one is looking!!! They are but maybe the agent isn't good enough. The days of just driving a buyer around and letting them get on with it are long gone. They have to really sell and take time to answer questions truthfully.
I hope our prospective buyers also find the home of their dreams in a pleasant village like Mindya. I would fully recommend this area of Bulgaria to anyone bearing in mind the disasters that can happen in some beautiful places in the hard winters and to stay within 25kms of a big town for those things the village shop doesn't stock and for medical supplies. s

You were driving along this road, saw a "
U"
turn sign and ignored it, did you know that you are now on the police wanted list, only joking :Very funny 2:Hope you have made the right decision and life will be as you want it to be, so :Good luck:to you and Tom Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 1536469901
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 2:41 pm

oldun wrote:
Well folks, after much soul searching (see topic 'Am I mad') and writing all these posts on the reasons for people selling up in Bulgaria - I am happy to announce that we are STAYING!

Good for you two! I wish you all the very best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Great news oldun, Bulgaria will be a better place if we had more like you. Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 2706089290
Back to top Go down
LisA
Super user
Super user
LisA

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 2:59 pm

Good news I'm glad your staying too because you write so well and I thought if you did go back them you may not come on here. Good luck for the future. Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 1430720830 Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 405927828
Back to top Go down
Noddy
Senior user
Senior user
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Brilliant oldun your country here NEEDS YOU!
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 7:55 am

oldun wrote:
Well folks, after much soul searching (see topic 'Am I mad') and writing all these posts on the reasons for people selling up in Bulgaria - I am happy to announce that we are STAYING!

Really good news oldun - Bulgaria is a lovely country and as long as you are content with life here, that is all that matters. Our children would be happier if we lived back in the UK, but after reading all the news over there we know we would not be happy living back there. The cost of living in the UK also outstrips the cost of living here and we would be potless in no time. We have a Bulgarian neighbour who has made our life more happy with living in our village and it is a pleasure to speak to him, although we have no idea what he is saying half the time. He has even adopted some of my ways and had learned to nod and shake his head the English way, bless him, it is great pleasure knowing him.

g g
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 7:56 am

itchyfeet wrote:
oldun wrote:

Really good news oldun - Bulgaria is a lovely country and as long as you are content with life here, that is all that matters. Our children would be happier if we lived back in the UK, but after reading all the news over there we know we would not be happy living back there. The cost of living in the UK also outstrips the cost of living here and we would be potless in no time. We have a Bulgarian neighbour who has made our life more happy with living in our village and it is a pleasure to speak to him, although we have no idea what he is saying half the time. He has even adopted some of my ways and has learned to nod and shake his head the English way, bless him, it is great pleasure knowing him.

g g
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. Over the next few winter weeks I intend to write more on the topic of choices and how I have sorted our lives out. Like you Itchyfeet, we love our village and the villages were devastated that we thought of leaving. I feel so much better now and especially after my recent visit back to Britain. I love both countries but rarely in life can we have it all and as you get old there is another set of choices to be made.
I realise that problems we have gone through in 2011 had really depressed me and I now feel so much stronger and happier again and I am looking forward to continue to share my thoughts on life even if some of you don't agree. Its good to discuss things with others and not healthy to live in total seclusion. I have to mention that someone who came to view our house made us realise that there are folks out there who share thoughts on lifestyle just like us. It restored our faith in human nature.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where did it go wrong?   Where did it go wrong? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where did it go wrong?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2