Intel or AMD?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 10:53 pm

I need to buy a laptop and don't know if I should go for Intel or AMD? I only want to use it mainly for browsing and don't play games, I can't afford an Apple so that is out. Any help from anyone to help me choose would be great, I'm looking at something with a 500Gb hard drive and 6 Gb of memory.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 7:36 am

what kind of budget have you got sallyann?
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 8:36 am

I'm looking at around the £400 mark since I will only use it occasionally
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 1:35 pm

sallyann wrote:
I'm looking at around the £400 mark since I will only use it occasionally

You can get a decent PC laptop for that money. Go for Windows 7 (it seems more reliable than previous operating systems).

For instance, brand new Compaq (usually a safe bet):
[url:2pznsfk0]http:
//www.
technomarket.
bg/products/09123525/hp-compaq-cq58-140su-b8j08ea[/url:2pznsfk0]

about £230 at todays exchange rate.

Mind you, I'm a Mac person, so I'm sure you'll be getting better advice from other members!
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 pm

That sort of money will buy you a very good Toshiba Satellite with Win 7 and all you will ever need ..there are quite a few models of the Satellite, so you can pick and choose. We run two of them and they get worked really hard..never a moments bother in over 5 years. Technopolis have some good deals on them from time to time.

I run an Acer Aspire with a 19"
screen, but this might be a bit above what you need. Both the Toshibas and the Acer use Intel, but to be honest, there isn't a lot between Intel or AMD these days..they are both good.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 7:13 am

I cannot agree that Windows 7 is the best operating system as I have this operating my lap top and XP operating my PC and XP is a far more stable platform.Do not get a HP Compaq lap top as they are a night mare as my lap top is this model and it is nothing but trouble. Having spoken about this to an expert he confirmed that this model is not one of HP's best designs.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 7:43 am

speedgunner wrote:
I cannot agree that Windows 7 is the best operating system as I have this operating my lap top and XP operating my PC and XP is a far more stable platform.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. Of the operating systems shipping on PC's if you buy one today, then personally I find Windows 7 the most stable (Vista was garbage).

As XP was phased out around 2006, I doubt this would be an option if buying a new laptop today.
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 3:21 pm

While I agree that xp was very good in its day I would say it's had it's day too and the new boy on the block is without doubt Windows 7 which I believe is completely flawless, however this topic is drifting now so back to what it is and for me it's AMD every time only because it's what I'm used to and my experience of Intel from years a go was terrible. As someone once said AMD runs like Intel but on Crack Intel or AMD? 2381841692
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Think of it this way. AMD is cheaper. Intel is more pricey. Do you REALLY need all that power? If yes then go intel all the way and while you're at it you might as well spend all that money for the highest tech possible. Then a year later something from intel will come out and be much better than what you currently have and you'll feel ashamed you spent all that much money. You're probably saying "
then don't spend high amounts!"
If you aren't then you don't have the best tech so what's the point of going with intel? AMD can offer "
almost"
that much and i'm willing to bet it's going to perform just as great as intel.Yes I know I'm commenting this on intel side but I only did so because intel processors ARE better than AMD but unless you're willing to spend top money for the top tech intel products are useless and you're better off with AMD-cheap, efficient and still does the job right and just as fast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Intel or AMD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intel or AMD?   Intel or AMD? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intel or AMD?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Computing, Internet, Mobile phones, TV and Satellite-