Warning!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Warning! Empty
PostSubject: Warning!   Warning! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 1:07 pm

Just to let your all know and I am sure that 99% of you reading this will not effect. I live in Brestak and close by is Vulchi Dol. I employed an English builder as I was led to beleive to renovate my house.Arthur as I know him lives in Vulchi Dol and has all the chat and he had shown me a house that he had previously renovated so he said.We went inside and a good job had been done so I was suckered in.I wont say how much I gave him but to surfice to say it would make your eyes water.I had been advised to use an English builder as the locals finishing had a lot to be desired so I was told.I came over from England a couple of times to check on his progress and it seemed to be going alright but a little slow. This brings me to my first piece of advice,make sure you have someone on top of the job supervising the worker! By the time I moved over staying with friends in Popina to start off with as I had no furniture and I was buying it all here in Bulgaria brand new.I spoke to Arthur and he assured me that my wife and I could move in on a Wednesday, the week before I went down to Brestak to make sure all was in order.To say the least I was devistated! The sewage had not been dug and no pipes, no toilet or shower was working and the back door resembled someones shed door but not as secure! There were no stairs fitted in my open plan kitchen and the wood floors had not been varnished plus the kitrchen window did not fit properly. I had to get another bulder to help finish and I had to arrange the sewer to be dug by forcing Arthur to fork out for the JCB to come.I gave him a couple of weeks grace even though 18 months had passed since he started and returned with my wife having told me the house was fit fr habitation. I sacked him on the spot and told him he would never get a job from an ex-pat again! The house was filthy and still looked like a building sight which really upset my wife and he didn't seem to care.The person who fitted my kitchen and made was beside his self as all the work tops were filthy and tools lying on top of them. If you want a kitchen made to order and fitted professionaly and at a reasonable price contact me.Arthur will get his justice as the Bulgarian Inland Revenue will be made aware of him shortly and I get the satisfaction as I know he has not declared his earnings, if you can call it that!

This was an expensive lesson for me as I have had to fork out to get it all put right.I blame myself as I would never have thought that a Brit would turn me over!
So remember his name is Arthur and if you want any more details then e-mail me.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

Warning! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warning!   Warning! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi speedgunner

Firstly let me say how truly sorry we all are for your troubles. It is disgraceful that people can do something like this and get away with it. However, I am a firm believer in 'what goes around comes around'

Secondly just because the builder is English does not mean he/she will do a good job, they have to make a living and who better to pray on then the Brits coming to renovate their properties. Thankfully not all builders are like that. There are good honest builders about, it was just unfortunate that you picked the wrong one this time - But like us all, you too learned a valuable lesson. There are some very good Bulgarian builders about, yes you will have to tell them how you need your property finishing but that is only to be expected and once you find a good one do hang on to him/her. In the meantime if you need anything just ask on the forum we have a good bunch of members who will only be glad to help Warning! 1536469901

I am surprised the British in the village did not assist you, still you are sorted now and that is the main thing. But real sorry you had to lose so much money and suffer this unnecessary stress in the first place. Warning! 794030042 But on a positive note: you will be more weary now of who you can or cannot trust in the future,

Good luck to you both g the worst is over now so you can get on with living your dream. We will be popping in for coffee next year for sure. c

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

Warning! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warning!   Warning! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Good advice here from Berni "
Just because they are British doesn't meat they are any good ? but more to the point doesn't mean you can trust them, in my experience I would rather trust a Bulgarian Builder than any Brit Builder I have come across. A few years ago I used a builder that was recommended on another forum which we will all know of and unfortunately it cost me a fortune getting his work put right by a Bulgarian Builder, I'm not saying that all Bulgarians can be trusted but for me I will trust a Bulgarian over most Brits. Warning! 739492727
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Senior user
Senior user
Fletch

Warning! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warning!   Warning! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 11:42 am

I think that there are good British builders and there are bad also good and bad Bulgarian ones. In my opinion I think a few years ago there were people who made the move to Bulgaria with a small amount of building knowledge and they decided that they would start offering there services in this field. To renovate a house here in Bulgaria is not the same as doing one in the UK as there are many problems that you have to overcome here, i.e. language, buying materials, houses with no foundations the list goes on. The ones with good experience and knowledge are still here and I hope doing well, the rest fell by the wayside unfortunatley with people losing money. We must not forget the ones British and Bulgarian that are rubbing there hands together at the airport waiting for the next person to get money off. Its a minefield out there as to who is good and who can do the job that you want done, and I am going to be quite honest, there are people who buy, who think that because the house only cost a small amount that they can have it renovated for a small amount as well. My advise is to anyone that is thinking of renovating or building dont rush into it, look at the work they have done before, ask about and find out as much as you can about the company that you are thinking of using, saying all this it can still go wrong. I am sorry for the OP and that money has been lost and the trouble that this person has caused you, and I hope that everything is ok now and you are enjoying your house.
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

Warning! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warning!   Warning! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 8:58 am

Fletch wrote:
I think that there are good British builders and there are bad also good and bad Bulgarian ones. In my opinion I think a few years ago there were people who made the move to Bulgaria with a small amount of building knowledge and they decided that they would start offering there services in this field. To renovate a house here in Bulgaria is not the same as doing one in the UK as there are many problems that you have to overcome here, i.e. language, buying materials, houses with no foundations the list goes on. The ones with good experience and knowledge are still here and I hope doing well, the rest fell by the wayside unfortunately with people losing money. We must not forget the ones British and Bulgarian that are rubbing there hands together at the airport waiting for the next person to get money off. Its a minefield out there as to who is good and who can do the job that you want done, and I am going to be quite honest, there are people who buy, who think that because the house only cost a small amount that they can have it renovated for a small amount as well. My advise is to anyone that is thinking of renovating or building don't rush into it, look at the work they have done before, ask about and find out as much as you can about the company that you are thinking of using, saying all this it can still go wrong. I am sorry for the OP and that money has been lost and the trouble that this person has caused you, and I hope that everything is ok now and you are enjoying your house.

I think your absolutely right Fletch this is oh so true and even though there are loads of stories like this to be found the newcomers don't seem to take it on board I'm not saying this is the case with the op but others lets hope that the penny drops and people will think first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Warning! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warning!   Warning! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warning!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1