BBC to Screen Cancer Sufferer's Death

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

BBC to Screen Cancer Sufferer's Death Empty
PostSubject: BBC to Screen Cancer Sufferer's Death   BBC to Screen Cancer Sufferer's Death Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 6:50 pm

[size=55:32gbl99l]BBC

The death of an 84-year-old man, who lost his battle with cancer, is to be broadcast on BBC One next month as part of a new series about the life cycle of the human body, BBC reported.

Science presenter Michael Mosley told the Radio Times it was important not to "
shy away from talking about death and, when it's warranted, showing it"

"
There is a case to be made for filming a peaceful, natural death,"
he said.

"
There are those who feel that showing a human death on television is wrong, whatever the circumstances,"
he said. "
Although I respect this point of view I think there is a case to be made for filming a peaceful, natural death – a view shared by many who work closely with the dying."

The second episode, which features Gerard's death, will also look at a woman who has survived for 10 years eating nothing but crisps, a man who can hold his breath for nine minutes, and another who can swim in water so cold it would normally kill. The final part will examine what happens when the body gives up its fight for survival.

"
We met many wonderful people while making the series, but Gerald was special. We were privileged to share, with his family, his last few weeks and the moment of his final breath,"
said Moseley.

The passing will be aired on BBC1 on 12 May.

The man, identified as Gerald, died at home on 1 January after suffering from cancer.

Programme makers approached a number of hospices and cancer charities to find someone who was willing to be filmed in their dying moments.

When Gerald was approached about being filmed in November last year, he said he agreed because he hoped it would help others.

"
I don't want to die, but pretty evidently unless some miracle happens, I ain't gonna be here very long ... I'm not frightened,"
he said.

"
I don't believe that it'll be just like cutting off some tape with some scissors, though it might be. But either way I have blind trust that I shall not disappear completely,"
he said. He vowed to see the start of 2011, and died on 1 January, surrounded by family.

Mosley said: "
The death of a loved one is a hugely significant moment in all our lives, but not something to be feared. I watched my own father die. Just before the end he decided to start singing. He sang for several minutes and then he stopped and he was gone. I'm so glad I was there and the time I spent with him before his death are among the many memories that I treasure."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1