The sausage obsession!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

The sausage obsession! Empty
PostSubject: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Hello folks - weather not so Springlike today so here I go with a question. There seems to be an explosion of people talking about homemade sausages lately. In our village at least 3 people have had sausage-making machines delivered and I think I read someone on this forum making kilos of them. I was just wondering why this sudden interest or is it sudden? I remember a few years back someone making them for sale, falling foul of Bulgarian laws but joining up with a Bulgarian factory. No idea if they still tasted like the British banger.
I know Bulgarian sausages are very overspiced for my taste but is it worth the investment and time making them for home consumption? I suppose if you are an addict - its something to do in the winter. What is going on? The sausage obsession! 1995268642
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 2:01 pm

oldun wrote:
Hello folks - weather not so Springlike today so here I go with a question. There seems to be an explosion of people talking about homemade sausages lately. In our village at least 3 people have had sausage-making machines delivered and I think I read someone on this forum making kilos of them. I was just wondering why this sudden interest or is it sudden? I remember a few years back someone making them for sale, falling foul of Bulgarian laws but joining up with a Bulgarian factory. No idea if they still tasted like the British banger.
I know Bulgarian sausages are very overspiced for my taste but is it worth the investment and time making them for home consumption? I suppose if you are an addict - its something to do in the winter. What is going on? The sausage obsession! 1995268642

I've been hearing about a lot of people taking it up recently as well. Another member here said he used them for barter - this is not a bad idea given the severe shortage of money in Bulgaria, or at least people willing to spend it s s s
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Hiya oldun

I think I might be the sausage maker you are referring to!!! g

We started making them as I do not like the gristly, fatty, undefined flavor sausages we get here in BG!!! In fact I did not like many you could buy back in England either!!! 😉

We decided to do the Bulgarian thing and keep a pig - I am a bit "
river cottage"
when it comes to food. My grandad was a prize winning butcher in Lincolnshire many, many years ago - I asked him for the recipe so I could make my own. I have tinkered with his recipe a little, I add a lot less fat (about 10% he used to add about 45%) and less salt. We made 70m of them from this years pigs - and about 40m from the 2009 pig. It is just one of those foods that are so tasty and versatile - gravy dinners, BBQ, a few with Xmas dinner, that old English classic: sausage, egg and chips!!! 😉And if you are going to make 10 m of them you may as well make 20m they freeze well, saves cleaning the mincer and disks out time and time again. It can be quite a messy job.

While I am at it I also make batches of sausage meat for scotch eggs, haselet and burgers. Not had a go at pork pies yet ....... but we will!!

I have thought about selling them - but transportation is an issue - also work out quite expensive when you compare them to what is in the shops.

We also make our own ham joints (marinated in beer and sugar), bacon (still perfecting that one!!), Elena fillet (very easy) and proscuitto ham (a first for us, we now have an agonising 8+ month wait before we can see if it was a success).

In fact all this talk of sausages - I think I will defrost a batch for tonight's dinner.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi Esta - Ah yes it was you that I was thinking of. You have just made my mouth water. If you keep a pig I can understand that sausage making (and all the other tasty morsels) are worth doing. Wish I could do some bartering with you but we are miles away. Our eggs are much in demand with the village locals.
Our neighbours keep a pig and do the same as you but obviously with their Bulgarian ways.
I have never been much of a fan of any sausages especially when they became full of pink mush in the 70s. However, I know there is now a bigger demand for quality in Britain nowadays.
I was thinking more of folks without their own pig who must have to buy Bulgarian mince or pay for British imports (bit pricey of course). Similarly the herbs and spices are not easily obtained. If its just two of you, although I love to cook, I really don't see it as something I would want to spend time doing.
Others of you will probably prove me wrong so go on - convince me bearing in mind the cost of the machines, skins etc I have seen on the internet. s
Back to top Go down
estars
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:17 am

Being in China for 6 years I have missed real British Sausages!

Reading all about these lovely home made sausages as made my mouth water g

Hoping soon to be Bulgaria and able to enjoy some of the foods I have missed the last 6 years The sausage obsession! 2381841692
Back to top Go down
ABC Property Surveyors.BG
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:24 am

Come on then Esta,Let's be having the recipe!
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:50 am

I could tell you...but then I would have to kiiill you!!

:evil:

No, seriously, I do not really go by a recipe anymore - I add the seasoning then taste. Some of the herbs sent to me are stronger than others. The stuff I grow is milder so more is required etc.etc
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi Esta

You can confirm that your sausages are produced in an environment that has been passed by the BG health and safety, and all the rest of that gubbins that goes along with food production? Plus you have the appropriate licences in place to manufacture and sell foodstuffs?

I'm afraid if not, I will have to remove your post as it looks like an advertisement for your goods.

Many Thanks
Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Very true Chris but Esta said she just does it for barter and their advert is for buildring services. Still, you are right in what you are warning. Bulgaria have just as strict health laws as in Britain. Many have fallen foul of this.
Back to my original thoughts on sausages. Do you really think its worth investing in the gadget and ingredients just for 2 of you, or will it be just a 'must have' which will end up, like lots of Tupperware, in the back of a cupboard? After all its still mince in a skin and I can think of plenty of recipes using the same ingredients but I am just old fashioned I suppose. The sausage obsession! 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 1:11 pm

oldun wrote:
Very true Chris but Esta said she just does it for barter

"
Barter"
is fine, and if she swaps a few sausages for 2 dozen eggs, then so be it.

But ... supposing the person that takes the sausages is admitted to hospital with food poisoning? What next?

Personally, I would only by foodstuffs from fully registered, H+S covered and insured outlets with the appropriate certificates in place.

I'm not opposed to anybody making a living in Bulgaria (I have for many years, paid my taxes, my insurance, etc.), however, I am opposed to folks making a quick pound or two out of the back of a van when other people in the same industry are adhering to EU regulations and having to pay dearly for that privilege.

Most people in the UK complain constantly about the 'foreigners' moving in, not paying their taxes, etc., etc., so I just want to point out that this forum does not condone people working in Bulgaria without paying the relevant dues that one would have to pay on any business in any other country in Europe.

I'll not take this thread into that type of discussion, but just asked Esta for clarification if this is a business or not? It Esta isn't fully registered and insured in Bulgaria for preparation of foodstuffs, then I will remove the post as it appears to be an advertisement.

Cheers
Chris
--
(PS. A Mod's life is never a happy one ... we always upset half of the table no matter what we post!)
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Absolutely agree with your thoughts Chris and I don't envy a MODs job.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Chris wrote:
"
Barter"
is fine, and if she swaps a few sausages for 2 dozen eggs, then so be it.

Chris wrote:

But ... supposing the person that takes the sausages is admitted to hospital with food poisoning? What next?

What if she is admitted to hospital after eating an egg??
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 1:29 pm

coriolanus wrote:

What if she is admitted to hospital after eating an egg??

Exactly the same on the other foot George ... if the eggs came along with a barcode, sell-by date, etc., they I guess you would have a case. If it came over the garden fence from a neighbour in exchange for a handful of tomatoes, then so be it!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Chris wrote:
Personally, I would only by foodstuffs from fully registered, H+S covered and insured outlets with the appropriate certificates in place.

What if someone falls over and breaks their leg whilst going to get a sausage or trying to supply an egg?? Do Bulgarians have the right insurance in place? Do the Britons??
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Chris wrote:
then so be it!

You seem to have devolved from a somewhat aggressive position to a "
so be it"
position.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The sausage obsession!   The sausage obsession! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The sausage obsession!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top