altText
altText
altText

cycling in bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
frankie25

cycling in bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 12:44 pm

just want to know is cycling big in bulgaria and are there any cycle shops for repairs cycling in bulgaria 1995268642

Last edited by 1169 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

PostSubject: Re: cycling in Bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 pm

There are Cyclists in Bulgaria but not to many that I've seen and you can get most cycle bits in any major supermarket. What I would say is be careful of the roads and the potholes you may find that in some places there is more pothole than road which can be a great hazard. I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows more and can help you better.
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi there, cycling in Bulgaria is fine, but you really have to keep to the rural roads, motorways are not advisable. Bulgaria is packed with history and beautifull nature. Cycling in Bg is quite pleasant-as apposed to driving-which can be stressful. Cars tend to give you plenty of room when they pass. Something to consider is , you will occasionly have to pass horse and carts-just be careful. Quite often you see locals on old russian bikes coming towards you-they tend to cycle which way they like. All part of the charm really. You'll occasionally see bikers on the main highways of Bulgaria, but that's not a place I'd want to be cycling. Often, there are no shoulders, and the driving (including lots of trucks and buses) can be crazy. That's why I'd much rather be on the more rural, remote roads, which are usually pretty free from traffic. The roads are sometimes pretty rough, though, so I think you'd have to be careful about the wheels if its a touring bike.
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Re: cycling in Bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Have a look here its a map and shows some cycle shops in Sofia [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if you can contact one of them they maybe able to offer you some more advice and contacts for any cycling clubs that exist I do know that Bulgaria does have Tour de Bulgaria and you might get more from the organisers site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] cycling in bulgaria 3023850720
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 1:24 pm

frankie25 wrote:
just want to know is cycling big in bulgaria and are they any cycle shops for repairs cycling in bulgaria 1995268642

Hi frankie25,

I think it depends where you are. I know mountain biking is popular in certain areas and you see racing on some of the main roads sometimes. In the villages, a lot of the older folk seem to get around on old bikes (dangerously without lights, most of them). Off hand, I know of two shops in Dobrich that sell bikes and do repairs - the bikes for sale are racing/mountain/kids/basic. So, overall, I would say yes it is popular. As Carmen says, potholes are a major hazard.

Regards, George.
Back to top Go down
frankie25

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 1:45 pm

:Thank you:all for the info:)
i have just sold my cycle shop in the uk and am takeing a year out of work to have a rest and to have a look at bg and see if i can set up there bringing cycling
and camping together or a shop or go mobile am not sure what i will do till i have a look around in bg.
i still have my on-line shop in the uk which my sister runs for me and will give me an income till am up and runing in bg.

let me know your feelings on which would work best in bg am open to all members input it can only help T
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Re: cycling in Bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:50 pm

I've seen plenty in Bulgaria that use bikes mostly the older folk in the villages you will even come across trades men who travel by bike carrying their tool with them. I'm sure you wont have any problems with parts. I wish you all success with your venture but I can't offer any advice about this project but what I would say is that whatever you do in Bulgaria its always risky and perhaps a lot more risky than other countries. cycling in bulgaria 739492727
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Plenty of bikes and plenty of bike shops where you can get spares in fact a lot of the supermarkets now sell bike repair stuff and complete bikes so you won't have any problems finding what you need and in most villages there is a bike person who repairs all the bikes in the village.
Back to top Go down
ABC Property Surveyors.BG
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:27 am

I haven't seen what I would say is a proper bike shop here.They all seem to sell chinese made mountain bikes.Something like a 700c wheel or tyre and they would be struggling.Stay away from the lev bike locks by the way as you can snap them off quite easily.I have a Orbit Harrier touring cycle for sale if anyone interested??
Back to top Go down
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user
mike&tanya

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:11 am

there is a down hill mountain bike course under the chair lift in Sopot, part of which is purpose built, and you can take the bike up the lift using attachment on the side to carry them. As side issue there is also a para-sending school at the top of the first lift, with stunning views across the valley.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 am

coriolanus wrote:
frankie25 wrote:
just want to know is cycling big in bulgaria and are they any cycle shops for repairs cycling in bulgaria 1995268642

Hi frankie25,

I think it depends where you are. I know mountain biking is popular in certain areas and you see racing on some of the main roads sometimes. In the villages, a lot of the older folk seem to get around on old bikes (dangerously without lights, most of them). Off hand, I know of two shops in Dobrich that sell bikes and do repairs - the bikes for sale are racing/mountain/kids/basic. So, overall, I would say yes it is popular. As Carmen says, potholes are a major hazard.

Regards, George.

It sounds decidedly dodgy to me, best to carry a full First Aid kit by the sounds of it, also a couple of splints would be handy!!

cycling in bulgaria 2381841692 cycling in bulgaria 2381841692
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:39 am

itchyfeet wrote:
It sounds decidedly dodgy to me, best to carry a full First Aid kit by the sounds of it, also a couple of splints would be handy!!

Ideally, you need an ambulance pacing you cycling in bulgaria 2381841692 cycling in bulgaria 2381841692 cycling in bulgaria 1865348797
Back to top Go down
seven
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 2:14 am

Hi,

There is a proper cycling shop in Gorna near VT which sells most things. I've seen quite a lot of cyclist in this area, Elena, but I think a lot come for holidays, as this area is quite popular with Bulgarians on holiday. There are a few hire shops, but it is kitted out just for Bulgarians and the bikes are well past it.

I've seen some people that look like they are training for something, but what I don't know...

dito to everything else thats been said, I brought my mountain bike over here and as yet just haven't had the guys to test out the road. Also, they don't tend to sell bikes for tall people, my boyfriend has been on the lookout for a large framed bike for nearly 2 years and still hasn't found one in any of the bike shops, but then, the average Bulgarian is well under 6 foot. cycling in bulgaria 2381841692
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 10:35 am

seven wrote:
Hi,

I've seen some people that look like they are training for something, but what I don't know...

cycling in bulgaria 2381841692

They are probably doing a St John's Ambulance course in readiness for the forthcoming season!!!

cycling in bulgaria 2381841692 cycling in bulgaria 2381841692 cycling in bulgaria 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cycling in bulgaria   cycling in bulgaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cycling in bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1