altText

Sweet Potatoes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Scunnered
Scunnered

Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 3:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Is it possible to buy sweet potatoes in Bulgaria? We love them, but I've never seen them in the market.
Can't do without my sweet potato soup! Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 927475117
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks again to you all for your help and advice. I think I'll just have to smuggle some over
or do without! T
Back to top Go down
LisA
Super user
Super user
LisA

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Good luck with the smuggling I won't tell anyone Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 1865348797 Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 1865348797
Back to top Go down
TYS
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:50 am

I LOVE sweet potato. I always bought mine from 'Piccadilly' in Stara Zagora. Unfortunately the last maybe ten times I have been there to buy some they have not had any Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 927475117

We are going to have to start growing them.

I also love butternut squash and pumpkin but at the moment I have not been able to buy them recently in Billa, Kaufland, Metro or Piccadilly.

I know it is best to have all these things in season but it is nice having them available in the shops for when you fancy some.

Suzi
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 9:29 am

I've bought them in the supermarket before so it might be worth continuing to look. Think i've only seen them in summer though.
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
TYS
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes peeled!!

Suzi
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:10 pm

TYS wrote:
I LOVE sweet potato. I always bought mine from 'Piccadilly' in Stara Zagora. Unfortunately the last maybe ten times I have been there to buy some they have not had any Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 927475117

We are going to have to start growing them.

I also love butternut squash and pumpkin but at the moment I have not been able to buy them recently in Billa, Kaufland, Metro or Piccadilly.

I know it is best to have all these things in season but it is nice having them available in the shops for when you fancy some.

Suzi

Hi Suzi

I will see if I can get you some sweet potato and butternut squash seeds assuming they are seeds will let you know and post them or send them over in Sept. No doubt we will see you all this year at the Garden Party Sat 1st Oct, all being well.

I will start looking now.

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
TYS
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Ooooooooooo fabulous Berni, thank you!! Also I'm sure that we'll be at the garden party this year.

Suzi x
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Here in Turkey they are useless at growing potatoes, they grow OK in Ireland and they get tons of rain, so they should grow in Turkey. A simple thumb and first finger test in the form of a squeeze usually results in the potatoe feeling like a sponge!! Have never seen new potatoes here like we get in the UK, still, the rest of the veg produce here is pretty good.

s s s s
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 9:18 am

Unfortunatley you can't get sweet potato seeds, or seed potatoes like normal ones, if you know what I mean!
They have to be started by cutting into a sweet potato and sitting it it over water (like a hyacinth bulb) until it
starts to grow roots. This is called a slip or slipping. Then it can be planted out, but apparently this takes approx
6 weeks or so. We'll give it a go if we've time this year and let you know if we're successful!
Thanks again for all your helpful comments. T
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 9:50 am

s

Hello flower

Thanks Scunnered yes I went to look them up on the internet and they said slips too so we will see how you get on first. How are you plans coming on? Have sent you a pm.

Oddy g
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 pm

oddball wrote:
TYS wrote:

Suzi

Hi Suzi

I will see if I can get you some sweet potato and butternut squash seeds assuming they are seeds will let you know and post them or send them over in Sept. No doubt we will see you all this year at the Garden Party Sat 1st Oct, all being well.

I will start looking now.

Oddy s

Hi Suzi

I have your butternut squash seeds now but I cannot read your address on your Christmas card so can you pm it to me in English and Bulgarian and I will send them on.

I don't think I can post the sweet potato slips (when I do find them) been told there is some regulation somewhere, but we can send them over in Sept unless Barbs can take you some over with hers and perhaps post to you then. I will see what she says. Berni g

Oddy xx
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 3:39 pm

I bought some sweet potatoes in Carrefour in Burgas today. I don't usually buy fruit and veg from there (it does not always look too good!!) but I made an exception for the sweet spuds!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi Esta

I have only just discovered sweet potatoes this last year or so. I now dice one or two and put them in a curry about 10 min before it is ready yum really nice s I also tried it as a stuffing, mash and add chopped onions and sugar fab! - thing to remember with them is they cook very quickly 10 mins if any longer they go into a pulp hence the mash Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 2381841692

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Quote :
thing to remember with them is they cook very quickly 10 mins if any longer they go into a pulp hence the mash

NOTED!!! g

Not sure what I am going to do with them yet!! That's all I have done with them in the past, my son used to love them pureed when he was little.
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:05 am

Just wondered if anyone has had any success with growing these because I'm thinking of giving it a go. s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sweet Potatoes   Sweet Potatoes - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sweet Potatoes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next