Thick Fog Cancels Sofia International Airport Flights

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

Thick Fog Cancels Sofia International Airport Flights Empty
PostSubject: Thick Fog Cancels Sofia International Airport Flights   Thick Fog Cancels Sofia International Airport Flights Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 9:12 am

Just in case anyone is travelling today I found this s

Much of Western and Southern Bulgaria has been gripped by thick fog leading many of the flights of the Sofia International Airport to be canceled.

The early Wednesday morning Lufthansa flights from Sofia to Munich and Frankfurt were canceled.

Inbound flights from Brussels, Valencia, Prague, and Frankfurt were directed to the Plovdiv Airport in Southern Bulgaria, while Sofia-bound flights from Madrid and Munich are landing in the Romanian capital Bucharest.

The low-cost airline Wizz Air flights from Sofia to London and Milan have been delayed. The fog in Sofia is thickest in the southern and eastern quarters of the city close to the Sofia International Airport - "
Mladost"
, "
Druzhba"
, "
Darvenitsa"
, Vrazhdebna"

The rest of Western Bulgaria as well as much of the southern part of the country has also been gripped by thick fog with the authorities issuing additional warnings for drivers. Visibility has been reduced to less than 50 m in much of the country.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

Thick Fog Cancels Sofia International Airport Flights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thick Fog Cancels Sofia International Airport Flights   Thick Fog Cancels Sofia International Airport Flights Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 10:16 am

Daisy wrote:
Just in case anyone is travelling today I found this s

Much of Western and Southern Bulgaria has been gripped by thick fog leading many of the flights of the Sofia International Airport to be canceled.

The early Wednesday morning Lufthansa flights from Sofia to Munich and Frankfurt were canceled.

Inbound flights from Brussels, Valencia, Prague, and Frankfurt were directed to the Plovdiv Airport in Southern Bulgaria, while Sofia-bound flights from Madrid and Munich are landing in the Romanian capital Bucharest.

The low-cost airline Wizz Air flights from Sofia to London and Milan have been delayed. The fog in Sofia is thickest in the southern and eastern quarters of the city close to the Sofia International Airport - "
Mladost"
, "
Druzhba"
, "
Darvenitsa"
, Vrazhdebna"

The rest of Western Bulgaria as well as much of the southern part of the country has also been gripped by thick fog with the authorities issuing additional warnings for drivers. Visibility has been reduced to less than 50 m in much of the country.

Daisy
This is terrible, but it only confirms what I posted earlier about cancelled and delayed flights in and out of the UK due to the snow and Airports not doing enough to keep things moving. As you have mentioned Wizzair I will give you an example of one of their scheduled day's, Thursday for example
The crew pick up the airplane at Sofia, so it is Sofia to Luton, Luton to Varna, Varna to Luton and Luton to Sofia to finish the day's shift
It doesn't take a Wizzkid (excuse the pun) to work out that if it is not leaving Sofia on time, It's not going to be anywhere else to timetable
As I have already posted snow out of the sky is an act of God, so is fog, the main difference is that snow can be cleared where as fog cannot
Regarding the stranded Bulgarian passengers at Heathrow, I understand they have now left from Luton as BGair admitted their guilt and sent a airplane especially for them g
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1