The joy of books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

The joy of books Empty
PostSubject: The joy of books   The joy of books Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:58 am

The joy of books

Finding English-language books in Sofia can be frustrating. Unlike food and clothes, book prices do not reflect reduced Bulgarian purchasing power. Vendors have also not learned the difference between attentive service and "
customer stalking"
. Traders in the UK, by contrast, know that the most lucrative enterprise is the most comfortable one. Let people browse and read books on soft sofas – preferably with a coffee close to hand – and they'll come back.

Lovers of the classics, trashy novels and glossy travel books will have no problems in Sofia. Several bookshops in the city centre cater to your needs, although the same titles re-appear everywhere.

If you're looking for a more comprehensive range of biographies, you will be disappointed. For example, I looked in vain for Christopher Hitchens' popular autobiography Hitch 22. Sofia's biography section is weak. You're better off ordering these books on Amazon but be advised that giving the name of a company with a conspicuous building is better than a private address.

The Knigomania chain remains your best bet for English-language books. The same chain has a franchise with the Orange centres which, in addition to selling books, also sell videos, toys and games. The excellent Penguin Yalta bookshop in the university metro station is also part of the same stable.

Knigomania's best outlet is on Vassil Levski Boulevard. It has a fine range of classics (at the far end of the store) and popular fiction (to the right of the entrance). It houses Shakespeare and Dickens – as well as 20th century icons like Camus, Hemingway, Orwell and Roth. It also has the most updated collection.

For example, it was the first to stock Tony Blair's autobiography. It also has a good choice of reference works, children's books and books about the arts, although if you're looking for in-depth books about cinema – other than the ubiquitous titles on Ray Winstone, Daniel Craig and Jordan – you'll be disappointed. There's a good travel section, albeit at extortionate prices. Book trading has a good choice of reference books and dictionaries.

Although all these shops have English-language sections, you'll find some good English books interspersed among the Bulgarian ones, so you need to hunt around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

The joy of books Empty
PostSubject: Re: The joy of books   The joy of books Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:22 am

Good find I'm always looking to find somewhere new for books and will certainly take a look here when I'm next in the fisinity T
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

The joy of books Empty
PostSubject: Re: The joy of books   The joy of books Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:32 am

I love a good book, and was wondering what to do when we move over to Bulgaria next year. I always bring a few over to to leave and re-read.
However, my lovely husband bought me an amazon kindle for my birthday this year and it's fantastic! You just choose the books you want from an enormous list and they download in seconds. I've now got most of the classics to read at my leisure, which are mainly free. You can also buy the latest bestsellers etc, usually at a lower cost than buying the real thing. I just love it, but not so easy to lend a book to a friend! The joy of books 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The joy of books Empty
PostSubject: Re: The joy of books   The joy of books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The joy of books

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1