altText

Skiing in Bulgaria - my view

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thetravelbug
Junior user
Junior user

Skiing in Bulgaria - my view Empty
PostSubject: Skiing in Bulgaria - my view   Skiing in Bulgaria - my view Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 12:24 pm

I have been a keen skier for the last 20 years and skied all over Europe. My first ever skiing holiday abroad was with the school to Pamporovo in 1989. Quite an experience but a fantastic one. Since moving over here to Bulgaria I have been skiing here a few times so here is my experience:

Bansko - lovely old town but area now completely ruined by all development. Ski area ok but limited for anyone that is a half decent skier or boarder. Now very expensive - 50 levs or there abouts for a days ski pass. Equipment hire was poor quality and badly fitted (where we went anyway). Food on mountain and at bottom horrendously expensive. Large queues for lift as only one slow bubble up mountain.

Borovets - probably the best of the 3 main resorts here. Several lifts up from main 'town' so queues not as bad although lifts slow and quite old in the main part. Purpose built so no real charm and very tacky. Food still expensive compared to rest of Bulgaria but more choice on mountain. Some decent runs but again nothing really challenging. Still talk of super borovets project but will wait and see. Lift passes 55 levs a day.

Pamporovo - never actually skied here since trip in 1989 but been in summer and very spread out. No real town. Not much of anything really except hotels and apartments in trees.

There are then several smaller ski areas. Near me (Kazanlak) there is Buzludja. You have to drive up, about 20 minutes from Kazanlak to top and windy road, and then there are 2 or 3 runs, a couple of hotels (one newish one) and couple of hostels. Can hire equipment and was all brand new and well fitted when we went the other year. 12 levs for a day for pass. Not really pisted but all good fun for a day or weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetravelbug.org
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Skiing in Bulgaria - my view   Skiing in Bulgaria - my view Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 1:34 pm

Not being a Skier I can't really say too much here but it's interesting to hear from someone with experience of the sport, if we was all to listen to some of the CARP that insults our intelligent s, like most of the holiday progs that have been on the TV about BG and Ski-ing who say how wonderful the Ski-ing but more importantly how wonderful the ski resorts are? but I guess it wouldn't go down well with their sponsors if they told the truth? and that's what this forum is all about a balanced view, unlike other forums we have nothing to gain by not allowing members to put their views across 8) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Skiing in Bulgaria - my view   Skiing in Bulgaria - my view Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:08 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for that info Thetravelbug, I will pass that on to the Captain of the TA group as they often go skiing to Bulgaria now.

Oddy
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

PostSubject: Re: Skiing in Bulgaria - my view   Skiing in Bulgaria - my view Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 1:17 pm

I know this is an old topic but I'm wondering if thetravelbug has been skiing more recently and what observations were made since the last visit
Back to top Go down
thetravelbug
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Skiing in Bulgaria - my view   Skiing in Bulgaria - my view Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Not been skiing in Bulgaria in last couple of years as now work ski seasons in France.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetravelbug.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skiing in Bulgaria - my view   Skiing in Bulgaria - my view Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skiing in Bulgaria - my view

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1