View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

I found this and though it was interesting to see the points of view on Bulgaria and what we shouldn't do? you may like it s

The not-to-do list for Bulgaria

To spare yourself from worries and deceptions, and to enjoy a safe and pleasant time in Bulgaria, here is a list of things to avoid:

Don't take a train. Bulgaria's railway company BDZ has recently admitted that 300 of its 320 train engines lack valid safety certificates and have not undergone mandatory technical examinations. Only half of the state firm's 430 passenger cars have been certified as safe, BDZ reported. Nine passengers burnt to death in Northern Bulgaria two years ago when a night train sleeping car, with blocked safety exits, went ablaze while in motion. The best way to travel to Bulgaria is to take a chartered flight and land straight at the seaside. This will reduce your dependence on Bulgaria's transportation system to an acceptable level. It takes seven hours to travel the 400 kilometre stretch from Sofia to the seaside by train, and some six hours if you take a bus or car.

Don't fall ill. Eighty percent of Bulgaria's hospitals are substandard, according to a recent report by the state medical audit agency. A two-year-old girl died of laryngitis in hospital in the town of Yambol a month ago, due to inadequate treatment. The health sector is under-funded, heavily indebted and in much need of reform. A four-month old boy died of pneumonia in the town of Blagoevgrad last Monday (May 24) because of suspected wrong treatment.

Don't trust taxi drivers. Especially those who doorstep foreigners at air terminals' arrival exits. They are sure to rip you off with a fare several times above the market price of 35-40 euro-cents per kilometre. Hire a cab from the legal taxi ranks only. They are located right outside the airports.

Don't miss a chance to use the Sofia subway. Its construction started in 1972, and the metro system already has one 18 kilometre-long stretch with a total of 14 stations. That makes 474 metres (yards), or 0.37 stations per year.

Don't hope for fast internet. Consider yourself lucky if you have coverage at all. Broadband penetration in Bulgaria is 13 percent (the lowest in the European Union) compared to the EU average of 28.4 percent.

Don't miss a chance to win in the state lottery. The jackpot has reached almost 2.7 million Bulgarian leva (some €1.35 million), and is expected to exceed 3 million leva (some €1.5 million) on Thursday (June 3).

Don't get confused by nods. In contrast to mainstream Europe, Bulgarians indicate a "
no"
by moving their heads up and down and "
yes"
by shaking heads from left to right.

Don't be afraid to smoke. There are smoking and non-smoking areas in all establishments larger than 50 square meters. The owners of smaller bars and restaurants are free to decide whether to welcome smokers - and most of them do. In terms of smoking, Bulgaria is second only to Greece in the EU. Thirty-nine percent of Bulgarians smoke, according to the latest Eurobarometer data.

Don't be surprised by Bulgarian football. It is only natural if the public invades the pitch en masse to beat up the referee or/and some underperforming players. The latest such case happened in the town of Mezdra. But it was not the first one.

Don't get scared by morning TV shows. They normally start with a reality police action. Officers in riot gear raid someone's home or office, throw him on the ground and point guns at his wife and children, yelling commands. Bulgarian television and websites readily run such footage, handed to them by the interior ministry. Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov, a former colleague of Prime Minister Boyko Borisov from his police years, is also a regular guest on morning talk shows. Every day he announces a new operation with a thrilling code-name - "
the Octopuses"
and "
the Jellyfish,"
for instance. Mr Tsvetanov modestly admits to authorship of most of these titles. He says Bulgaria needs new arrests every day to make for the past two decades of legal chaos and impunity in which crime and corruption flourished.

However, police hyperactivity has led to no convictions since Mr Borisov's government took office last July. Nevertheless, Mr Tsvetanov's approval rating has shot even above Mr Borisov's, an impressive record. Pollsters say ordinary Bulgarians massively enjoy police crackdowns;
the public's thirst for revenge is blurring all concerns about legality and human rights. It is only The Economist that has recently warned of "
a bad government of a different kind: a still weaker rule of law, and even a shift towards what might look like a police state."

Don't miss out on Bulgarian, cuisine. Wine and music. If you do, you will regret it for the rest of your life. s
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
abracadabra
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:39 am

Glad to see you back Dusty!

Itchyfeet - I hope you get lots of research done. Areas here vary enormously. In Elhovo itself I have no problems with internet/power/water but in a village just 25 K from here where renovations to the electric supply are underway, my friend is without power from 9am till 4pm at present...the weather can vary from one village to the next to, ask anyone!

It pays to do your homework.

Forums like this are great for info, but always look at the area the poster is living in as their weather/availability of services etc might be completely different from another one!

All the best, you know how to contact me if you need me.

Karen
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Do we have anymore for the not-to-do list for Bulgaria from those of you who have more experience The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 3356871870
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 9:04 pm

The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 1763269238

You will probably think I am a bit do dally now but here goes - Do not go out of the village without a whistle or a stick, reason being the stray dogs - a whistle will frighten them and a stick for when you climb the mountains - well hills actually The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 2381841692 The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 2381841692

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 pm

Here's a don't - DO NOT trust the Police, well especially when in Balchik - they seem more or less OK everywhere else.

I was unfairly harassed by the Police for nothing at all for years in Balchik until I took them to Court twice and won twice - haven't touched me at all for over a year now.

Moral of the story - go to court and win s s

Starlite?
Back to top Go down
joseph
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Do be carefull on the roads for the horse and carts,very dangerous.
Do not speed through villages, always police (coffee money)
Do not park in a no parking zone,They WILL take your car away.
Do check out the amount of stuff the locals grow in the garden.
Do accept the invitation into the locals home and
Do hope you get to sample the good bottle of home made wine kept for the special occasions.
Do try to hit on a village party day and sample the food.
Do enjoy your evening meal and a glass of wine at reasonably low price compared to the U K
Do enjoy Bulgaria it's a great country.
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Lets have more then I'm sure your all holding back The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 3023850720
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Yes please, let's have more. If I started the do's and don't about Turkey the post would stretch over three pages, after living here for three years I could write a best seller book. From starting off in a sleepy suburb of Surrey we have become "
streetwise"
- it is not something I thought about before leaving the UK, but it is something that creeps up on you as you conquer one problem after another when arriving in a foreign country. I am sure that people become streetwise in whatever foreign country they go to live and it is not restricted to us living here in Turkey. c
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 10:58 am

Well I can't really think of more 'not to do things in Bulgaria'. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones but I feel very safe in our little village. Here are some of my 'to dos':
Do mix with the villagers before heading for the nearest ex-pat. The locals will be the ones to help in any emergency.
Do try to learn a little of the language. Learn the alphabet by reading shop signs.
Do always smile and say a hello whenever passing a villager. They may not respond at first but eventually they will trust you.
Do use the local shop for as much as you can.
Do take walks around the village but keep a dog on the lead until you are well known and the dog knows how to behave.
Do repay any gift with a little something. Doesn't have to be large. Maybe swop a plant with another plant or some seeds or some veggies that your neighbour doesn't have.
Do accept any food and drink on offer even if its not to your taste. Bulgarians have a very simple diet and eat things that we don't anymore but its respectful to try. Leave a little on your plate or in your glass otherwise you will be offered more!
I have just thought of a couple of dont's:

Don't rush to give work to a villager until you have seen some of their work. Its lovely to give employment but not all are very skilled so give small jobs first to see how they work, how fast and for how much etc. It takes a while to suss out a reasonable charge so don't go overboard because if you do it sets the rate for all newcomers. However, don't be mean and give some simple refreshments and always water in the heat.

Don't ply villagers with British food. You may like it but they will be very suspicious and they much prefer to give you theirs.
Don't flash the cash!!!! If you want to help the village, go to the Community and ask if its okay to give for a specific purpose like a Christmas party for the pensioners or children or ask if there is a Community fund. However, wait until you have lived in the village for a while so they know you personally.
Don't buy everyone in the bar a drink on your first visit!

This last one is very important. Be cautious before starting to throw any money around. Its respectful to appreciate the low incomes in a village and whatever budget you are on, it will be more than the villagers get. Its much more important to show respect for their way of life and ask questions about what they are doing because they certainly know a thing or two about how to grow things and manage their animals so don't say 'Oh in England we do it like this!' They won't want to know and much prefer to tell you what to do. In fact they think we know nothing about animals or how to grow things!

Just relax and be willing to join in and you will be very happy if you have chosen your village wisely as Abracadabra advised. s
Back to top Go down
joseph
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Good post Oldun,it's all true.
How do you like standing at the counter in the bank and the person who is supposed to be behind you is standing with you looking over your shoulder?
Back to top Go down
neilythere!
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:44 pm

joseph wrote:
Good post Oldun,it's all true.
How do you like standing at the counter in the bank and the person who is supposed to be behind you is standing with you looking over your shoulder?
soso true i have had this many times it annoys me no end this lack of privacyplus you get the banks employees shouting across to one another things that i am sure are your private business grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 794030042
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:11 pm

These last comments obviously depend on which bank you use. UnicreditBulbank in Veliko Turnovo is new and has a line behind which you have to stand until called forward. In fact there are so many desks for different private business that I usually ask where to go if its more than getting cash! Full marks to them but it is a very new building.
Living abroad I have learnt that queuing is a typically British thing and something to take into account because you will not change the habits of the Bulgarians so 'if you can't beat them, join them'. I am not afraid to step forward but I will never do 'pushing in!'
I am in London at the moment and have noticed several things that help me understand some of the complaints that Brits have when they relocate to Bulgaria. More on this later. Loving my trip. Its another world for me after being away so long.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The not-to-do list for Bulgaria   The not-to-do list for Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The not-to-do list for Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2