altText

Silistra Orphanage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 9:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

INTRODUCTION TO Silistra Orphanages March 28, 2009,

Hi Guys

Well it's time for us to start planning our next trip to the Silistra Orphanage. You will probably remember that Dougie and myself Berni sent a lorry load of goods over to the Orphanage in October 2008 and paid for all the transport ourself. It was a wonderful success, that we said we would do it again this year. Most of you followed the blog and seen the pictures.

I have had a small amount of participation from various companies I wrote to. They have send a few boxes of stuff which is a great help, but Freecycle and Netmums still remain our main suppliers. We have filled 79 boxes already but this is now shared between, our own Orphanage and a baby Orphanage in Silistra, we have been told about and what they need etc. We will visit them in Sept with some goods and see what it is like etc. We have also been collecting stuff for our villagers and the home for the elderly and also the Hospital - which we have a few wheelchairs, crutches and walking aids and a mobility scooter - although I am not sure what to do with the mobility scooter yet - I would like to trade it in for some wheelchairs, as they would be much more useful. We will have to look at that in due course.

I have approached our local TA and the WI and they are all collecting for us now, how wonderful is that. thumbsup Got the Brownies and possibly one school doing shoe box appeal for Christmas too. We are over the moon as we were donated an ex hire 40ft by 40ft marquee. All we need to do is buy the metal stakes. They are expensive here in UK £3.50 each and we need about 60, so we will get them made up in BG, which will help the local ironmonger business too.

Now that we have asked people to help, we are just delighted with the response and they are more than happy to be able to help in some way. Mind you, it is still very hard to get a foot in the door - Most companies have their own charities etc they donate to and believe me, it can be very disponding work, but then you get one that say YES, wow! it like you hit the jackpot thumbsup

We have people dropping stuff off and having a coffee and a chat and they are happy to see for themselves what we are like and get more info on our cause, nine times out of ten they will come back with more stuff.

Dougie and I wash, sort, pack the clothes and label the toiletries in Bulgarian. Then we label the boxes and store. But our spare room is getting jammed packed now so we are looking for a kind soul to donate warehouse space. The TA has offered to keep their stuff there until we find suitable storage space. so no panic yet. I am sure something will turn up. The RAF may also be helping us the end of April.

We will be paying the transport again ourself, although, when we are back on our feet properly we will be doing carboot sales, raffles etc to raise the funds. As most of you already know Dougie has had heart surgery in Nov 08 it went well, but he has to undergo another op. He is gutted, as he wanted to be in BG for April, still it can't be helped, his health comes first. I too went down with an illness 3 days after Dougie came out of hospital from his surgery, I was rushed in for another 8 days - We have been lucky in the past with only had minor ailments, the normal cold etc but for both of us to be struck down with major illness at once. it's just unbelievable. I am doing well too, again just a small op and please God we will be back to normal.

Bulgariabill has been a tower of strength to us and has build us a website and it will be going live in April, so hopefully we may get donations from there to make the improvements necessary in the Orphanage, but who knows what will happen.

I have written to various transport companies as they might be in a position to offer us some free space, but with the credit crunch, it is very difficult on them too. But I will keep trying.

I have contacted Opticians and now have 3 of them collecting recycling specs for us, I just need to find an Optician in Silistra to test for free I am working on that too.

I also need to find a way of getting the marquee out as the centre pole is about 25ft long with no breaks, so an all in one unit, the rest folds down - Could be, if we can't get it transported as a whole, we might be able to get a new pole in BG, but I have no idea of the cost, would that be possible??

Well now, you are all up to date again. Unfortunately, it is unlikely we will be moving to BG for another few years until Dougie health is all clear. But we can go for the summer months. We will start off by going for a month in Sept, naturally we want to be there when the lorry load arrives. Oh! it's so exciting I can't wait. We would love to have a big party at the Orphanage in our new marquee so might plan something around that -so watch this space.

Oddy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Hiya Bernie keep it coming [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am just about keeping up with you and its all good [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] but tell me where do you get all the energy for all this I'm tired just thinking about it but I guess its the thought of the children in your mind all the time, I am hoping that I/we can in someway do something to help you with this so I am open to ideas ? I think if we can all get thinking we can come up with something, I am a member of another forum which is nothing to do with Bulgaria so I am going to try and get some interest going there? well got to have a go [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 7:41 pm

June 11th 2009

Hi Guys hello

Just an update so far: Gosh I can't believe it is just over 7 weeks before we go to BG now. Everythng is ready as people have been brilliant sorting and bringing stuff to us this year, some even boxes them for us, which was wonderful. We even had friends from Freecycle move all our 160+ boxes of goods to be stored at the TA barracks ready and waiting to be loaded and shipped to Silistra Orphanage.

Again Freecyclers have been wonderful and helped us every way they could. We have 3 new wheelchairs bought from the donated mobility scooter sale and we have 2 donated so a total of 5 wheelchairs for the Hospital, 8 walking sticks, 2 pairs of crutches and a few walkers and I think 3 zimmer frames and about 500+ pairs of specs. We will share these with the Hospital and Home for the Elderly. We also have 40 boxes of clothing for the Baby Orphanage. We had intended giving them all the stuff but as Dougie visited them in May, he said they were comfortably off and only needed some clothing. They appeared to have Americans helping them - So we will give them half of the baby stuff and the other half to the other baby orphanage in Silistra. I am told it is for special needs children. But we seem to have difficulty in obtaining information and we have a friend trying to locate them. Therefore, we will visit with the goods ourself in Sept and see how we can help out next year.

I have a few quotes for transport now, but they are still on the high side, however, if we continue getting donations we might manage, if not, we will have to make up the difference ourselves again. We are looking at transporting 20cub mts including a 22ft marquee pole and the marquee is on 3 pallets. This was only delivered to the TA barracks yesterday by our donors Gl Events Snowdens. The local paper was there to take photographs, so look forward to an article next week, which I will post on the website. I am hoping whoever our transporters are, they will also be able to take the marquee over for us too, but I have a feeling it will be difficult, along with everything else. The TA 158 (ROYAL ANGLIAN) Tpt Regt RLC(V) are (our own Guardian Angels) they will load it on with the forklift. I cannot praise Captain Richard Cutworth, his superiour's and the soldier's highly enough, they are just wonderful to us and our cause. Well done Guys!!!

We also have a project to fill 100+ shoeboxes for Christmas for the children and we now have 29 Shoeboxes completed. We had help from the Brownies, Rainbows and Guides and we thank them very much indeed, The Shoeboxes are just lovely. They did a wonderful job. Thanks a million. Freecycle friends helped too. We have the Cubs and some friend, and people from Freecycle, a play group and my friends daughter Kay, who is doing her own project for school, all still collecting for us. Plus Dougie and I are doing the older teens ourself, so hopefully we will have one for everyone. But just in case, we will add a box of stuff, with little bags so the staff can make up some bags. idea1

Our website will be updated by Bill on Sunday so don't forget to visit and see the latest pictures and the total donated so far. Would be nice to see some comments in the guestbook too please.

OK, enough from us now - Things are going really well. We have had a bad several months healthwise, but thank God we are doing well. I am doing well now and almost there. Dougie still has problems with breathing and water around his heart. He still has to take things slowly until they can resolve that. But we are so lucky we are through the worst of it all now and hopefully with God's help, we can get life get back to normal.

Berni & Dougie
Bulgarian Orphanages

Oddy
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Ash

Thanks for your kind words. I thought it better to give everyone the backround as to how it was and how we coped and eventually achieved our goal. It's just amazing once you start something like this, it seems to take a grip and you just cannot let go. Seeing the delight of the children, when they receive the smallest of toys or a pair of socks just makes it all worthwhile. Life can be so good at times and as long as we can spread a little happiness and joy to those who are less fortunate that ourselves, life will always be wonderful!!!

Delighted you are enjoying it and thanks a million for spreading the word. The more people that get to know about our cause, the better, life will be for the children.

We will be upto date soon and we can start afresh for 2010

Berni

Oddy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous
Anonymous

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:10 pm

WOW what a post and what great people you are [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] if only the world have more people like you 2 what a lovely place it would be for all of us, if I can help in any way then please please let me know I would be honored to help in what ever way I can and again I say to you both well done [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:50 pm

23 July 2009

Hi Guys

Just to say today there is an article (below) in the local paper - They got it slightly wrong, we have 150 boxes of new and some used clothing, toiletries toys ect. We also d ecided to do 100 Christmas shoeboxes too. See info on our website. Keep your fingers crossed that we might get some help please notworthy

[url=http:
//www.
peterboroughtoday.
co.
uk/news/Couple39s-mission-to-help-orphans.
jp:1xg0y2xd][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oddy

Berni & Dougie
Dimcho Debelianov Bulgarian Orphanage
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:14 pm

Aug 3

Hi Guys

We are 4 weeks away now from shipping the goods to the Silistra Orphanage and needless to say we are getting pretty excited about it all. We have 180+ boxes of goods also included are wheelchairs, zimmer frames, walkers, crutches walking sticks, spectales and lots more to share out with the Hospital and the home for the Elderly, plus some more boxes of goods for the villagers - We will also have 100+ Christmas Shoeboxes for the children. I am still filling the boys, only about 14 more to go but I have the goods for them now. So goods wise we have done just wonderful. Now only struggling with the transport costs so if you or anyone you know can help please visit the website below. Thanks a million.

Transport is still an issue, as we are not half way there with the costs yet. We had no response from the article in the local paper which is a shame. Still, we have another 4 weeks to go yet, will try the local radio, so keep your fingers crossed.

I am waiting for a quote from our very own Oggi, if anyone else wants to put a quote in to transport 20 maybe 22 cub mts from P'boro to Silistra from now until 3rd Sept please pm me. Naturally I will be looking for the best quote and will add their name on our website below. Transprot is our biggest expense, if we don't get help I fear we will have to pay it again our selves this year.

We will be doing a bootsale on Sunday to see if we can raise some funds. Our local bootsale was full by 6am so will have to go further afield next week.

Thanks a million to those who have already supported us - 'You are all wonderful!! and we really do appreciate it very very much. God bless

Oddy

Berni & Dougie
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:26 pm

5 August 2009

Hi Guys

Got the call to say they WILL allow us into the small supermarket to pack for customers on 22nd Aug yepeeeeeee !!!!!!!! really excited about this. They only have 3 tills there and we can stay from 10am to 2pm It's a good start, every penny counts now. We are delighted. Now, I am seeking out my list of helpers.

Oddy

Berni & Dougie
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:29 pm

11 August 2009

Hi Guys

I have been asked if the Fun Day/Garden party is still on. Well the director said YES to a party, but now we need to see if we can get people to come therefore, we are considering selling good second hand books, possibly gorma foods like jars of pickled asparagus etc and an english company has approached me to say they would come in and sell goods from custard power to baked beans etc - and they will donated a small % of evert sale to the Orphanage as all monies donated will go towards new flooring. Now what do you think?

We will go for a BBQ and disco and see what kind of fun games we can play in between - Now this will need organising and we don't have much time, so if anyone can help PLEASE that would be great. I would love to do the sponge throwing so would need a prop for that too.

We are looking at Sat or Sun towards the end of Sept say 26th or 27th event to be held at the Dimcho Debelainov Orphange in Silistra. So come on guys, let me know if you would be interested in attending so we can plan ahead.

Oddy

Berni & Dougie
Bulgarian Orphanages
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Janet's donation has brought us up to halfway towards the transport costs, we are delighted. Dougie will be doing bootsales, whilst I have to work and we and some friends will be going into the Co op, bag packing on Sat - looking forward to that now.

Gosh can't believe it is only a few weeks before we go. We have the transport quotes and we will decide who it will be shortly. We can take the marquee pole whole!!! so that is brilliant news. We still have to buy 60 metal stakes for the marquee, but they are expensive here so will get them in BG.

I am still hoping we can sway lots of you to please come to the Garden Party - We would love to see you there to support us. Bulgaria Bill, Bgcarl, Peli & friends will be there. Bill will sort the music, John our British food seller is sorted and I hope Adam will be there for the fun day activities. There will be a doctor on standby, just in case any of you get too excited We need to sort out the BBQ so waiting for the director to let me know about that. I will bring some British books and some (gorma foods if I can get them) and he children can set up a one or 2lev stall

We really would appreciate it if you could let us know if you can come, although there is no pressure, I know you will do what your can - and just think you will get to meet little old me and Dougie

Thanks for your support guys - you are just great!!!!

Oddy

Berni & Dougie
Bulgarian Orphanages
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:42 pm

30 August 2009

JUST IN: WOW!! WE HAVE DONE IT!!!! WE HAVE REACHED OUR TARGET FOR THE TRANSPORT COST !!!! Yepee, Thanks a million times over Guys, you have all been just brilliant!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi Guys

We are almost there now few final things to sort before the lorry goes over below here is whats been happening so far.

Dougie and I have been doing some fundraising. We have done a few boot sales and raise about £35 not too bad. Then we did bag packing in the local supermarket. We had helpers Cheryl, Elly, Lesley, and Emma, once again all our friend and supporters from Freecycle. We had a wonderful day and enjoyed it very much, but best of all we raised a grand total of £230.06. Naturally we were delighted. We are 3/4 of the way there now towards our transport costs - won't be long before we hit our target. It's wonderful!!! !

Thank you girls for all your help. Special thanks to Richard and the staff at the supermarket for all your help. You have all been just great!! Without you guys, we could not have got this far, so thanks a million.

My place of work is also helping, Diane (also a freecycler), Maz and work colleagues have arranged a `spare change' donations pot. Thanks you so much, you are wonderful!

Also Bill (Bulgariabill) has been helping to push our cause with his Line dancer friends here in Peterborough. Bill is our website co ordinator and now lives in Bulgaria. He organised a radio broadcast on Cambridge radio. Mavis and Lesley decided they would have a fundraising event which included all sorts of activities. at their class on 26th August.

They raised an amazing amount of £200. We were just delighted. They only decided on the event about a week a go. There was only a small group of dancers and some friends, 29 in total, yet they raised this massive amount of money - Well done you Guys!!, you did wonderful! What a brilliant achievement! You should all be very proud of yourselves. Dougie and I and Bill thank you for all your help and support. You did us proud!. Read the article on our Link page.

Also it goes without saying 'a massive thanks' to Bill & Sue who have supported us all the way through this. They have been just brilliant. He is a good chap and always happy to lend a hand when needed. Bill has even offered his service as a DJ for the Garden Party at the Silistra Orphanage in Sept 27th . This is to start off our new project which is to raise funds for the new flooring at the Orphanage. We will be bring lots of books etc to sell. So hopefully we will get lots of people coming.

As always Freecyclers are, and remain our top supporters from collecting good to transporting them to storage.Sarah & Phil will be helping us again on Tuesday to move the last of the goods to the TA.

As you know Captain Cutworth and the TA guys have been outstanding. they have donated and collected boxes of goods from 5 different barracks as well as storing all our goods for us. Hopefully they will help us with the loading of the lorry on 3rd Sept (although the Captain does not know this yet)haha!! However, if they cannot help I will be call on my Freecycle friends - so keep watching for the urgent appeal. :0)

Thanks to EVERYONE who has donated to our cause, you have helped us to bring joy and happiness to these wonderful children, I am sure it will be something they will remember for their lifetime. Well done!!!

Please continue to keep checking for updates on the website.

Oddy

Berni & Dougie xx
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi Guys

Well 'WE MADE IT' We finally reached the transport cost. Thanks to everyone who help us though donations and various fundraising events staged - Thanks a million to you all, You have been brilliant!!!.

Have to tell you about a really nice chap called John from UK Food Warehouse. You all know he will be at the Garden Party selling and taking orders for his English foods, and for everything he sells he will donate a % to the Orphanage - Well that was really good but he has gone 10 steps forward now. He has agreed to give us burgers, sausages, bacon, and sauces and so on and NOW he has spoke with Al and Sue who own the new club 33 in Balchik and they would love to sponsor a soft drinks table. How wonderful is that our special thanks to Sue & Al that is just great, but a very special thanks to John who really is one of our Guardian angels. What a wonderful kind hearted man!! So please come along and support us, we would love to see you all there on Sun 27th Sept.

The container will be leaving tomorrow and Dougie and I will fly out on Friday evening expect to arrive in Varna around 3.30am where Bulgairabill will meet us - Silistra is from only a few hours from Varna. Unfortunately will not have any contact apart from the mobile from there on unless I use the internet cafe. Our Mobile no is 0889997053 or 049 please call or check the posting for update and if you can let me know if you can make it that would be great. You can contact Bulgariabill or Pelican on here either will be happy to pass on message - We really do need the support. There will be fun and games, music, BBQ we will have lots of books too.

Oddy

Berni & Dougie
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:58 pm

3 Sept 2009

Container was loaded today and is now on it's way to the Silsitra Orphanage Yepeee

We will be flying out tomorrow evening from Gatwick but I have to work tomorrow

I will be using the internet cafe from here on as I have no computer connection in BG so please please do try to come to our Garden Party Sunday 27 around noon at the Dimcho Debelianov Orphanage Silistra my tel no is 0889997053 or 049 or contact me via the website email below. Please confirm if you are coming so we know what food to get etc. thanks a million

Oddy

Berni & Dougie x
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 10:12 pm

23 Sept 2009

Here is an article just sent to me

[url=http:
//www.
novinite.
com/view_news.
php?id=108009:2us8gaqi][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oddy

Berni & Dougie
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Well done guys I have just finished reading this and I was almost in tears, I will now have a break before I read anymore, but I want to say how good it is to read that there are still people about who care for others, I would love to hear from you about how I can do something to help?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:14 pm

Just finished reading all this and what an achievement it kind of reminds me of how things were in my Granny's days where everyone pulled together and you 2 have certainly showed that this kind of kindness and willingness is still very much alive [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] well done to both of you and all your helpers
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silistra Orphanage

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next