Bulgarian Top Travel Spots

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Bulgarian Top Travel Spots Empty
PostSubject: Bulgarian Top Travel Spots   Bulgarian Top Travel Spots Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 5:46 pm

[size=55:vuvwskk1]novinite 02 September 2010

I Foresee You Enjoying Southwestern Bulgaria...

Bulgaria has a deep history and much of the past remains for you to see. The spirit of Baba Vanga, Bulgaria's beloved mystical prophet, for example, lives on in the tiny mountainous village Rupite.

I vistied Rupite and its neighbor towns recently, and the experience was a delightful step back in time.

Rupite is a protected area in the Blagoevgrad Province and a crater of the extinct volcano Kuzhuh. Currently, only five buildings exist on the few acres of land;
notably, the house in which Baba (Grandmother) Vanga told the fortunes of thousands, the Church Sveta Petka Bulgarska (Saint Petka Bulgarian), and a cafe.

Late summer is a nice time to be in the region as the sun is not quite as scorching, flowers are still in bloom and the opportunity to tear some sweet, or sour, grapes, depending on your luck, off the vine remains. The mountains and grass also maintain their lush green quality. Summer is also ideal because most of the attractions are outdoors.

The couple rooms that can be seen at Baba Vanga's house are only visible through a glass barrier. The house is in the exact condition as it was at the time of her death in 1996 and entrance is prohibited.

It is believed that Vanga, born in 1911, gained her clairvoyant powers during childhood after a twister spun her and threw her into a field. Sand and dust lodged in her eyes, leaving her blind. But, the force of the accident, she said, enabled her to foretell the future and communicate with the dead.

As knowledge of her talents spread throughout Europe, scores of people would travel to Rupite. Often, the whereabouts of loved ones fighting in the war or health issues concerned them. Vanga was also known to heal through herbal prescriptions. She was aware of and dismissed non-believers or those who visited for selfish reasons, such as to inquire about finding a lover.

Bulgaria's former communist dictator Todor Zhivkov is reported to have sought her counsel at numerous occasions.

It is recorded that Vanga predicted;
the fall of the Soviet Union, the Chernobyl disaster, Boris Yeltsin's electoral victory, the date of Stalin's death, the sinking of the Russian submarine Kursk, the September 11 attacks and more. Some have compared her prophecies to those of Nostradamus.

Baba Vanga used the house in Rupite only during the day, and at night returned to the home in which she lived with her husband, built in 1942, in neighboring Petrich. The home is now a museum where thousands of her belongings can be seen.

Sveta Petka church was built by Vanga's will in 1992. The icons are like none I've seen before;
very life-like and nonconformist. The Orthodox church did not approve. Truthfully, they sent chills down my spine. These icons seem to me like ghosts waiting for night to fall so as to come alive again.

And, although from recent history, they appear as if from hundreds of years ago. I guess I find some aspects of religion eerie, and in Rupite, when I link them to the prophecies of Baba Vanga, the story becomes even more mysterious.

Vanga wished to be buried next to the house where she used her gift, but instead was buried in the church yard some 50 meters away from it.

Rupite is also a known spa center with mineral water hot springs measuring 75 degrees Celsius. However, I only saw two small pools of water and swimming (or lounging, for that matter) was not allowed. So ...

If you are up for a hike - I would visit in spring or fall - ruins of the ancient Thracian town Petra, which is more than 5000 years old, have been found in the Kozhuh hills. A cross memorializing victims of Kozhuh's eruptions also adorns the mountain.

Near Rupite is the medieval Rozenski Monastary said to be built in 890 and restored in the 18th century after fire destroyed much of it in the 17th century. It is one of the few Bulgarian monasteries from the Middle Ages that continues to be well preserved. It is also one of the few, due to Ottoman invasions and the passage of time, that almost exactly resembles its original appearance.

In my opinion, the authenticity and age of the monastery gives it greater appeal. Monasteries are very important to Bulgarian culture;
centers for Bulgarian literature and the preservation of traditions and values during hardship. I can imagine the gatherings and rituals that took place on the grounds and try to feel the aura of those who once worshipped there.

The church of the Rozenski Monastery is covered in intricate frescoes that have been preserved from the late 16th century. Beautiful. The stained glass windows were crafted in 1715, and they are the only ones of their kind from that time-period left in Bulgaria. Even more stunning, they are among the oldest in the entire Balkan Peninsula!

The grave of Bulgarian revolutionary Yane Sandanski is located in the yard of the small church down the hill as well.

Since you are in the area, why not stop by the smallest town in Bulgaria;
Melnik, population approximately 300. The ancient Thracian tribe to which Spartacus belonged was among the first groups to settle the area, and an Ancient Roman bridge still stands in the city.

If you are a wine connoisseur, Melnik is the perfect place as it is internationally famous for its wine!

For a taste of this world renowned wine, visit the nearly 230-year-old Kordopulova house. This house is where much of the wine making in Melnik took place. Yane Sandanski, who freed Melnik from Ottoman rule, and other Bulgarians also sought shelter from Turks there. Not only does the house have typical Bulgarian decor, but most of the furniture and interior is original.

The underground wine cellar, which can be explored, has the capacity to hold up to 300 tons of wine! Here you can have a taste of and purchase the legendary wine. The red wine I tasted was very dry and for specific taste, but I advise you to try it no matter what. (Winston Churchill is said to have ordered 500 liters of his favourite Melnik wine each year.)

The Kordopulova house is one of the most attractive tourist destinations in Bulgaria.

Right below the house are the remnants of the old Sveta Varvara (Saint Barbara) church. She is the protector from sudden death because her father beheaded her when he realized she had adopted Christianity. She died for her religion, thus has been named a saint. A creepy but captivating story.

Just as in Rupite, a hike around Melnik will lead you to majestic places. As you walk the trails and enjoy the gorgeous nature of the Pirinsky region, you will stumble upon the Melnik pyrimids. These natural phenomena were formed by soil erosion and take on many different forms. They are a sight to see!

Also, on the St. Nicholas hill are ruins of autocrat Despot Alexius Slav's fortress (12th-13th century). He brought great prosperity to Melnik, and his title "
despot"
has no relation to the tyrannical form of government despotism. Slav also financially supported the Rozenski Monastary.

Before turning in for the night, make sure to stop at one of the mehani (mehana meaning traditional Bulgarian restaurant/tavern) that line the streets. Your taste buds will surely be satisfied. The Melnik atmosphere is truly Bulgarian!

I travelled with an organized tour which was nice and easy to find as various tours are available throughout Bulgaria. But, it's always nice to be on your own watch. If you have the freedom of time, there is much to see in the region. And, if you are intrigued, Greece is also just around the corner approximately 15 km away!

My trip was a quaint, relaxing delve into Bulgaria's heritage - all within a 10 km radius. I recommend visiting!

Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Bulgarian Top Travel Spots   Bulgarian Top Travel Spots Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Great article, and another place to put on the list of "
must visits"
I only have to stop working and find the time now
T
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: ulgarian Top Travel Spots   Bulgarian Top Travel Spots Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:28 am

Yes Dave your right, there are some great places in Bulgaria and yet a lot who have moved there never get to see them which is a real shame Bulgarian Top Travel Spots 3356871870
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: ulgarian Top Travel Spots   Bulgarian Top Travel Spots Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:36 am

What a joy to see all this beauty I do believe that those of us who have visited Bulgaria really do sometimes mis out on places like these we seem to get off the plane and forget that Bulgaria not only has a lot to offer but its also very beautiful
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: ulgarian Top Travel Spots   Bulgarian Top Travel Spots Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Bulgarian Top Travel Spots in a Nutshell

Despite being a relatively small country, Bulgaria has a lot to offer anyone interested in experiencing the mysticism and enchantment of Eastern Europe, where ancient culture and contemporary history are continuing to leave their mark on a nation that many find marvelous, fascinating, and bizarre.

Bulgaria offers a wide variety of nature escapes with the mountains, sea, lakes, and postcard-like villages and since the country is home to all four seasons, your trip into any of these gorgeous sceneries will make it worth it. Many places of natural beauties have not been ruined by holiday home developers, plus hiring a professional guide is cost effective here and won't cost you a fortune.

Bulgaria boasts 7 sites listed on the UNESCO world heritage list with fourteen more waiting for approval. A medieval church in Sofia, the popular Rila Monastery (conveniently located close to the capital), two ancient tombs of the Thracians and the entire old city of Nessebar are a must see part of any Bulgaria tour, in order to see some of the most striking cultural monuments. The Madara Rider, a medieval relief carved in the rocks is on the tails of all local coins. [align=right:3499u0sj][/align:3499u0sj]

NIGHT LIFE: Sofia

Oh yes...Bulgarians love to celebrate! Eastern European capitals remain hot spots for travelers seeking 24-hour parties and low-cost vacations. Bulgaria is the country of "
no reservations"
when it comes to party planning, as locals meet without any formal arrangements in cafés, restaurants and bars every day. By night, Sofia's city center clubs offer non-stop parties during the weekend and just like everywhere, the show slows down a little during the week.

Remember - nodding up and down to say "
no'' and shaking one's head back and forth to say "
yes,' is the opposite of Western custom. It's a good mistake to make when the bartender keeps asking if you want more.

SKI HOLIDAYS: Bansko

Wonderful ski conditions, low-cost accommodations, party-on pubs and evening pub sessions with the latest music are what make Bansko such a popular destination. A while back, the town of Bansko was considered a golden opportunity for investment for holiday home owners but it survived the mass hotel and apartment buildings construction. The good news is – now there are many new, completely finished hotels of all types to book.

SIGHTSEEING: Bulgarian Monasteries Tour

Bulgaria offers a profound look into the history of Christianity, as Bulgaria was one of the first countries to translate the Bible into its native language and as a result is the home to a vast amount of early Christian monasteries and artifacts, a must in any pilgrim's early Christianity memorials route.

The monasteries survived five centuries of Muslim presence, successfully able to keep Bulgarian nationalism alive as well as preserving astonishing records of Christian martyrdom. The Bulgarian Orthodox tradition has contributed largely to the country's culture, history and overall education for many centuries and has no "
dark ages"
in its records.

TRADITIONS: The Bulgarian Rose Fest

The rose is the symbol of Bulgaria, as rose oil is made in Bulgaria and has gained an international reputation of high quality organic oil. Similar to Chinese silk, Bulgaria has been recognized with the country's primary exported item for centuries. The rose fest takes place in the central Bulgarian town of Kazanlak since 1903 and the coronation of the "
Queen of the Rose"
(a part of the fest), is often considered Bulgaria's first beauty contest.

OFF THE BEATEN PATH: The Rhodopes

The Rhodopes are neither the highest nor the largest mountain range in Bulgaria and they don't even boast dramatic valleys and peaks. Their shallow slopes covered with picturesque green pastures, small villages and rock bridges peaking through the dense, green forests have been an inspiration for music and the beauty of a simple, yet contemplative lifestyle. In fact, a local song was voted one of the world's best art achievements.

BULGARIAN WINES: Melnik and the surrounding villages

The town of Melnik is well-known for its size. Once a large cultural and commercial center for the region, history has reduced Melnik to its current 97 buildings, all of which are now recognized as cultural monuments. The bare, yellow rocks surrounding the town are a fascinating and awe-inspiring phenomenon of nature.

Melnik, as well as its surrounding villages, are a major producer of a variety of red wines. Melnik offers everything you need for an entertaining culinary and wine tasting experience with remarkable cuisine, vast wine cellars and friendly hospitality
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian Top Travel Spots   Bulgarian Top Travel Spots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bulgarian Top Travel Spots

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1