Admin

British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: British Airways Information & news   British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 10:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

[size=75:3c4bz6ak]novinite December 14, 2009

British Airways Cabin Crew Set to Strike over Christmas

British Airways cabin crew have voted overwhelmingly in favour of a strike in a dispute over job cuts and changes to staff contracts.

The strikes are set to begin on 22 December and run until 2 January. They are expected to cause significant disruption over the Christmas period.

Cabin crew voted by nine to one in favour of the strike action, the BBC reported.

The strike could cause problems for many UK and Bulgarian tourists who use the airline to fly between the two countries over the festive period.

It follows a long dispute between the unions and BA, which is intent on cutting costs to ensure its survival.

"
It goes without saying that we have taken this decision to disrupt passengers and customers over the Christmas period with a heavy heart,"
said Len McCluskey, assistant general secretary of the Unite union.

The British Airlines Stewards and Stewardesses Association, a section of Unite, also said it was unhappy about taking strike action.

"
We are deeply saddened to have reached the point where we must take industrial action to get our voices heard, but feel that we have been left with no other choice,"
it said.

This could be bad news for some I was watching the news earlier and they said that those who have booked are unlikely to get any compensation if the flight is canceled because of the strike

Last edited by 2 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com

AuthorMessage
Sarah
Super user
Super user

news - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAA strike: Who could be affected?   British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:49 am

tonyb60 wrote:
What on earth are the UK workers doing. Are they intent on pressing the self destruct button. British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 794030042

The world in general has gone through the biggest self made financial disaster. By these idiots going on strike for more money it just does not affect them but virtually everybody who is connected with air travel. The new government has declared that we must all pull our belts in. That has meant that my company pension was frozen this year hence no pay rise for me, many Civil Servants will loose their jobs (they used to have a job for life but not any more). So just what are these people after, I think it is just greed.

news - Page 5 570106603 British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 570106603 Completely agree with you Tony everyone knows that the whole world is in crises at the moment and will be for sometime to come so what makes them think they can get blood from a stone

sarah
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

news - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAA strike: Who could be affected?   British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Guess when our next trip over is planned? Yes, bank holiday Monday!
We can't do anything about it, but just have to wait and see. The unite union seems to be
very militant and determined to strike. And yes Starlite they would dare.
Personally I don't believe that strikes work and feel that people should be aware of the current
economic climate. I work in a GP surgery and haven't had a pay rise or bonus for a couple of years,
but that's life. I'd much rather keep my job! g
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

news - Page 5 Empty
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Strike now called off. Hooray!! :Kilt:
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

news - Page 5 Empty
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Great news thank you British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 2706089290 British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 2706089290

sarah
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

news - Page 5 Empty
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 9:43 pm

news - Page 5 1763269238

Fab!!! Yepee :Handshake:Scunnered you are all clear to fly g Fantastic news!!! We have booked with Wizz air this time but I must admit if I had a choice BA would be tops g

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

news - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: British Airways Cancels Varna-London Flights   British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 2:07 pm

[size=55:y6cpi3h6]novinite 19 October 2010

British Airways Cancels Varna-London Flights

British Airways is cancelling its flights between the Bulgarian Black Sea city of Varna and London, the company official has announced.

"
The reasons for this decision are simply commercial. The route turned out to be unprofitable,"
said Emil Delibashev, British Airways Sales Manager for the Balkans.

He added that the company will continue to offer flights between Varna and London for the same price. However, the flights would be carried out by the company's partner Malev Hungarian Airlines from Varna to Budapest and by British Airways from Budapest to London.

Passengers, who have already bought tickets, would have three options – to fly on another route with British carrier, to fly with Malev or to receive their money back.

British Airways started performing year-round flights on the route Varna-London four times a week in 2006. In 2008, the flights were carried out only during the summer season and in 2010 the company decided to fly only twice a week on this route.

Delibashev has stated that the company is reconsidering its whole policy on regional flights. The routes from the Turkish cities of Antalya and Izmir to London will also be suspended.
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

news - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: British Airways Cancels Varna-London Flights   British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 5:03 pm

Another one bites the dust, I wonder how many more will be pulling out or is this a good thing? will it mean that the low cost airlines will have m,ore passengers British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 2706089290
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

news - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: British Airways Cancels Varna-London Flights   British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 5:32 pm

British Airways has always failed to offer a reliable and fair priced service to Varna so its no surprise is it British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 3135333095
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

news - Page 5 Empty
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 5:36 pm

I wouldn't mind betting this article from Novinite has something to do with it

EC Launches EU-Tax, Council Cracks Down on Hedge Funds
The European Commission has decided to give green light to controversial proposals to introduce a tax levied at the EU level, as EU finance ministers decided to tighten regulation over hedge funds Tuesday in Brussels.

The EC decision stated the EU executive is proposing the gradual introduction of "
one or several sources of funding, such as a tax on financial transactions and activities, a tax on carbon quota trade, a tax on air transportation - in addition to a new EU-level VAT."

Other options include a tax on the energy sector and on companies.

On the EU Council side, Belgian finance minister Didier Reynders said that the intergovernmental body decided "
with unanimity"
to introduce new regulation of the hedge fund sector, which is widely seen as sharing responsibility for the global financial crisis.

This would be the first time that hedge funds will be regulated at the EU level, something that has been opposed by both the USA and the UK, which has seen the measures as endangering the City of London as a bustling financial center.

The UK apparently managed to water down the regulation and to secure a phased entry in force.

The measure has to go through the European Parliament to enter in force.

The idea for an EU-level tax was recently introduced by finance commissioner Janusz Lewandowski over the summer. He motivated it partially as contributing to diminishing the burden member states have to contribute to the EU budget.

Member states such as Austria, Belgium, Poland and Spain have supported the proposal, which has been viewed with skepticism by EU-greats such as France, Germany and the UK.

Here the procedure will take longer, for the exact nature of the new tax or taxes is yet to be determined, and the fleshed out proposal will have to go through both Council and Parliament to become EU law.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

news - Page 5 Empty
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Blink wrote:
British Airways has always failed to offer a reliable and fair priced service to Varna so its no surprise is it British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 3135333095

I will miss my cheese wrap and can of free beer, British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 927475117 if you could call it FREE when the flight cost £250.00 return, so what are the options, well we can go via Budapest with BA's sister company, and some of the flights will take up to eleven hours. Not for me I am afraid, British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 2079180590 I'll stick with Wizzair and pay 5euro for a can of beer and 3.50euro for a little packet of Pringles, but at least on my next flight I can afford those prices as I am only paying £79.98 RETURN and I do have that choice as to whether I want to purchase food and drink or not, and I must not forget that Wizzair did let me through Varna check-in with 39kg of baggage when I told them it was goods for our Bulgarian night, a charity event with a donation going to the Orphanage British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 2706089290
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

news - Page 5 Empty
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Daisy wrote:
I wouldn't mind betting this article from Novinite has something to do with it

EC Launches EU-Tax, Council Cracks Down on Hedge Funds
The European Commission has decided to give green light to controversial proposals to introduce a tax levied at the EU level, as EU finance ministers decided to tighten regulation over hedge funds Tuesday in Brussels.

The EC decision stated the EU executive is proposing the gradual introduction of "
one or several sources of funding, such as a tax on financial transactions and activities, a tax on carbon quota trade, a tax on air transportation - in addition to a new EU-level VAT."

Other options include a tax on the energy sector and on companies.

On the EU Council side, Belgian finance minister Didier Reynders said that the intergovernmental body decided "
with unanimity"
to introduce new regulation of the hedge fund sector, which is widely seen as sharing responsibility for the global financial crisis.

This would be the first time that hedge funds will be regulated at the EU level, something that has been opposed by both the USA and the UK, which has seen the measures as endangering the City of London as a bustling financial center.

The UK apparently managed to water down the regulation and to secure a phased entry in force.

The measure has to go through the European Parliament to enter in force.

The idea for an EU-level tax was recently introduced by finance commissioner Janusz Lewandowski over the summer. He motivated it partially as contributing to diminishing the burden member states have to contribute to the EU budget.

Member states such as Austria, Belgium, Poland and Spain have supported the proposal, which has been viewed with skepticism by EU-greats such as France, Germany and the UK.

Here the procedure will take longer, for the exact nature of the new tax or taxes is yet to be determined, and the fleshed out proposal will have to go through both Council and Parliament to become EU law.

You could be right Daisy, but I think Willie Walsh and his walk-out staff have a big bearing on this decision. We have seen today in the press that while Varna Airport appears to be coming to a standstill with less traffic, Bourgas Airport are expanding
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

news - Page 5 Empty
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 10:00 pm

news - Page 5 1763269238

Ah I love BA but as you say Willow the price kept creeping up plus had to Gatwick such a shame. Wizzair are equally as good and you can take your own sandwiches and drink on so no worries. I have been looking at the flights after March and they are around £101 each way so again creeping up - gone are the £33 one way days British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 927475117

You did well Willow getting your 39kg goods for the Bulgarian Night fundraiser for the Orphanage well done!! I will have to try something like that myself. I will start writing to the pubs too but I will have to borrow your menu Willow please T

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

news - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: British Airways non schedule   British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Copied and pasted British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 3356871870
This is the email I have just received from 'customer services' of BA.....I LOVE the last sentence about better connections...do they seriously think that hanging around Budapest airport for 6 hours is acceptable???

Dear Mrs Parker,

Thank you for sending your feedback regarding our flight removal from Varna to London Gatwick.

I would like to assure you that it was not an easy decision to take and despite all our efforts to
make this route profitable we are unable to sustain it any further.

I can understand your frustration from the removal of our direct flight but I do believe that by offering you
a same day connection via Budapest every day of the week will help you to even plan your trips better.

The timetables for both carriers - British Airways and our partner carrier Malev Hungarian Airlines
would allow you to make better connections via Budapest without the need of waiting too long at the
airport

I am looking forward in seeing you soon on board our aircraft.

Sincerely,

Assen Tzoukev
Town Office Supervisor
British Airways Bulgaria
Tel. +359( 2 )954 70 00/ext.105
Fax. +359( 2 )954 80 00

My reply

:Howdy:We are discussing here what is supposed to be the flagship of British aviation, British Airways also known as B****y Awful British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 2079180590

May I suggest that the email you sent to BAs Bulgaria address you send to Willie Walsh, in fact would it not be a good idea to get as many signatures as possible and send in a petition
Let's look at a few facts, BA used Boeing 737 on this route with seats for 140 paying passengers. I have never been on a BA flight Gatwick-Varna-Gatwick with empty seats on it. In years gone by we used to get a hot meal served by four cabin crew, that was then reduced to a cheese wrap and a slice of fruit cake served by three cabin crew. Cut backs, Cut backs and more Cut backs
Then there was all the strikes where they had no regard for their passengers and their well-being, people stranded all over the world British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 794030042

Most owners of property in Bulgaria have to rely on getting from A to B by air, BA have done nothing to enhance the tourist market and in fact I would suggest that they have contributed to the decline, :Very sad:but hang on a minute they have offered an alternative. Leave Heathrow at 13.35hrs, Arrive Varna via Budapest at 02.00hrs next day. Total journey time 10hrs.25mins. A later flight that leaves Heathrow at 18.35hrs and connects with the same Varna flight that gets in at 02.00hrs, but what happens if the incoming flight to Budapest is late does the Malev flight to Varna wait or are you stranded there until the next day British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 3367882216

I could go on, but I won't because it makes me angry, but I would just like to give a comparison with Wizzair. c
This is an example of a day in the life of Wizzair staff British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 1660588075
They use A320 aircraft with 180 seats and four cabin crew members s
Depart Sofia 11.45hrs Arrive Luton 13.10hrs
Depart Luton 13.55hrs Arrive Varna 19.10hrs
Depart Varna 19.45hrs Arrive Luton 21.20hrs
Depart Luton 21.50hrs Arrive Sofia 02.50hrs and home to bed Angel

Perhaps Willie Walsh should take a leaf out of their book :Study: British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 1675110159

And finally folks. I have booked a flight to Varna next month with Wizzair for £79.98 return, basic cost and they are still in business British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 3386807041
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

news - Page 5 Empty
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 6:28 pm

I can see whats being said here but I do think in the future we will either see all the airlines pulling out or we will be left with just 1 lets hope its more than 1 otherwise they can charge what they like and I'm sure as time passes we will see increases from all of them s
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

news - Page 5 Empty
news - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm

[size=55:2eklgtk6]BBC news

British Airways cabin crew vote for fresh strikes

British Airways cabin crew have voted to strike again, Unite union has said.

They voted to take industrial action in protest against the removal of travel perks from members of staff who went on strike last year and other forms of disciplinary action.

The dates for the strikes have not yet been announced.

BA is formally merging with Iberia on Friday. Shares in the new International Airlines Group will be listed in London and Madrid from Monday.

BA and Iberia will retain their brands as part of the move that is designed to save 400m euros (£337m) a year by its fifth year.

'Smaller membership'

Unite said its members voted by 5,751 to 1,579 in favour of further strike action, on a turnout of 75%.

"
For the fourth time in 13 months, BA cabin crew have voted overwhelmingly in support of their union and expressed their dissatisfaction with management behaviour,"
said Unite's leader Len McCluskey.

"
Indeed, the turnout and the majority on this occasion are much greater than in the last ballot.

"
Surely BA management must now wake up and listen to the voice of their skilled and dedicated employees."

However, BA said that Unite did not have "
majority support"
for strike action.

"
Of our 13,500 crew, only 43% voted in favour of strike action in this ballot,"
the airline said.

"
Unite has lost about 2,500 cabin crew members since this dispute started, as crew have voted with their feet. Even with a smaller membership, the proportion of Unite members supporting disruption continues to fall, contrary to the union's claims.

"
We urge Unite to return to the deal we negotiated, which guarantees pay rises for the next two years and secures terms and conditions for our existing crew that are the best in the UK industry."

The union will have to give seven days' notice of any fresh strikes.

BA has said it has contingency plans, insisting that in the event of another strike it would be able to run normal timetables from London Gatwick and City airports and all long-haul and many short-haul flights from Heathrow.

Disciplinary action

The Unite dispute, originally over job cuts, has already cost BA £150m and led to 22 days of strikes.

The dispute started in November 2009, when BA reduced the number of cabin crew on long-haul flights from 15 to 14, and introduced a two-year pay freeze from 2010.

However, the most recent ballot was in protest against the removal of travel perks from staff who went on strike last year.

Unite has said the other issues covered in the ballot included the restoration of all earnings docked from crew members who were genuinely off sick during this year's strikes, and a "
full and proper discussion of the trade union facilities agreement at the company"

The union is also asking its members to consider the introduction of mixed cabin crew teams, with workers on different terms and conditions without Unite's agreement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

news - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: British Airways Information & news   British Airways Information &
news - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

British Airways Information & news

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next